• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ma. Gun law Quiz

wherewolf said:
http://crime.about.com/library/blgunquiz_ma.htm

I failed the first question!....who are these clowns and where did they come up with these answers?[hmmm]

I didn't even bother to finish answering the questions.

I got 60% and supposedly knew more than average about gun laws. I guess that the waiting period is the time it takes the dealer to call in the NICS check.

I am also trying to figure out what they mean by the background check on private purchases.

At least 3 of the "correct answers" were wrong...

Too bad, I was hoping to see how well I actually new this. 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back...

Q: Is it required that you register all of your guns with law enforcement?

This is what we call in test writing a "bad question". The answer can be either yes or no with a dditional information.

Yes, you register all of your in-state purchases.

No, you do not have to register guns you bring with you when you move into Massachusetts.

matt said:
At least 3 of the "correct answers" were wrong...

Too bad, I was hoping to see how well I actually new this. 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back...

Matt,

Look at it this way, you now have more information and experience with which to argue that anti-gun people do not know what they are talking about.

Q: Is there a waiting period on gun sales?

Only if the NICS check is delayed.

Q: Is it required that you register all of your guns with law enforcement?

Not for gun which you bring when you move into the state.

Q: Are background checks required on 'private' gun sales?

Only if you count looking at the other person's license.

Q: Do state police and federal NICS perform a background check?

Do not believe that State Police are involved.

50%... more like 90% if he corrects his errors. Tried to email him but couldn't get to the page with his address. [roll]

Quiz - Massachusetts Gun Laws

Correct!

You answered 9 items out of 10 correctly.

Your score is 90%. Congratulations! Your score is higher than average. Learn more about the Massachusetts gun laws by clicking on the links below.

It's not about how knowledgeable you are about the laws, but how able you are to read the fine print, read between the lines and interpretations of the ass that came up with this quiz.

wherewolf said:
http://crime.about.com/library/blgunquiz_ma.htm

I failed the first question!....who are these clowns and where did they come up with these answers?[hmmm]

I didn't even bother to finish answering the questions.

Ooh! Ooh! I know the answer to that one. Just look at the bottom of the page:
©2006 About, Inc., A part of The New York Times Company. All rights reserved.

The majority of the questions are either worded in such a way that it's simply a crap shoot, demanding a yes/no answer to a question for which the only cirrect answer is "it depends". In addition, 3 or 4 are simply wrong. (I stopped paying close attention after the the first couple of questions.)

Ken

I got a 60%. Every question that I got "wrong" was incorrect on their part.

The questions must have been written by someone after finishing a couple of 6-packs!

Not even worth trying to correct whoever wrote it! I give the author an F . . . maybe it was John Kerry or John Rosenthal that wrote it?

I assumed that the waiting period was when you were waiting for your LTC to arrive. You do have to wait, and being that you can't get a firearm without one, then you just did your waiting period at the start for all firearms.

Is it required that you register all of your guns with law enforcement?

I figured that that was a no because you register them with the CHSB, not law enforcement.

I only missed two. That one and this one.

Are background checks required on 'private' gun sales?

Only because we're not calling it in. But I guess that being you need to do an FA-10 and that because you have to see their permit. And that they needed a background check to get said permit, you're in a "Round about" way doing a background check.

Lynne said:
They do if it's a Non-Res license. Or am I confused.....

Lynne,

It's easy to get confused with this POS quiz. The state does background checks when you apply for your license but the dealer does a NICS check when you purchase a handgun.

Unless I am confused. As has been said before, this is a very poorly written quiz. We are probably giving it more attention than it deserves.

You answered 4 items out of 10 correctly.

Your score is 40%. Congratulations! Your score is higher than average. Learn more about the Massachusetts gun laws by clicking on the links below.

---------------------

Hmm. Makes me wonder which ones I answered differently from Len.

Waiting period for gun sales?
NO, Instant Background Check and done.
Marked incorrect

Handgun buyers required to take safety training?
NO. Former permit holders didn't have to take training.
Was marked incorrect.

Background Checks at Gun Shows?
NO. non-dealers may sell up to 4 firearms a year that do not require background checks - those sales are perfectly legal at gun shows.
Marked incorrect

Do state police and federal NICS perform a background check?
YES. State Police on licence and NICS on Purchase from a dealer.
Marked correct.

Is it mandatory that locking devices be sold with guns?
NO. Only licensed dealers must sell a locking device with a gun, all other sales do not.
Was marked incorrect.

Is a license or permit required to buy handguns?
YES, in Massachusetts, all purchases need to show a proper license for the gun purchased both from dealers and non dealers
Marked correct.

Are background checks required on 'private' gun sales?
NO. Just a license. Granted there was a check to get the license, but the check is not on the sale.
Marked incorrect.

Are there any restrictions regarding minors possessing guns?
YES. Far too many to list quickly.
Marked correct.

May the police limit carrying concealed handguns?
YES. Police can 'restrict' any license on issue.
Marked correct.

Last edited:
I got exactly the same 40% "correct".

I'm always looking to learn more about Massachusetts gun laws, but I seriously doubt that I would do so by using any of their reference links. "Learn about firearm laws from a subsidiary of the NY Times." Now there's the joke of the day.

Ken

Exactly, the quiz is BS and is probably just automatically generated for each state from incorrect data provided by the Brady bunch.

Greg, thanks for the compliment!

Chris:

Where we differed . . .

- Background checks at gun shows?
* Since none of the MA promoters will rent a table to anyone who doesn't possess a FFL, I answered "yes" because you will (generally) only be buying from a dealer . . . who calls in a NICS.

- Gun locks on sales requirement?
* Since I knew that they were talking ONLY about dealer sales, I answered "yes".

The test sucked and their info is almost totally wrong . . . I believe intentionally misleading, and not worth the electrons we're burning up discussing it.

LenS said:
* Since none of the MA promoters will rent a table to anyone who doesn't possess a FFL, I answered "yes" because you will (generally) only be buying from a dealer . . . who calls in a NICS.

Ah, but 'tables' are not the only sale.. I've seen plenty of rifles being walked around with 'For Sale' in the muzzle. And just to be a real PIA - I didn't know the Jerky people had an FFL. (^_^) Seriously, I didn't know that promoters were restricting to FFL only 'dealers'. Thanks.

The test sucked and their info is almost totally wrong . . . I believe intentionally misleading, and not worth the electrons we're burning up discussing it.

Actually, I disagree.

It is never a waste of time to point out just how bad the Anti-Gun side misrepresents.

By the way, I got a chance to see the new bilboard on the Pike the other day. Talk about Misrepresent. No wonder there was no photo of it in the news stories.

Chris,

If you are selling guns/ammo/mags and you don't have a FFL, the promoters won't rent you a table.

If you are selling knives, sharpeners, jerky, cupie dolls they won't hassle you.

I knew that the questions aren't thinking about walk-ins with guns for sale, so I "discounted" that when answering. It has a lot to do with understanding "where they are coming from" in giving a likely "correct" (in their eyes) answer . . . in my case without sacrificing total accuracy.

LenS said:
Lynne, no since NRs can't buy guns (or ammo) in MA even if they have a MA NR LTC!

Um....okay....but....IIRC, it seems to me I was told (during my days working and helping out at Bob's in Salisbury), that a NH resident could come in and buy a gun from them that we could not, or ones that we could. I guess that's where I'm confused. I hate being confused. [frown]

Back
Top Bottom