MA registration question

Does MGL require the registration of a duty weapon issued by a federal agency to a fed officer if that officer resides in MA at the time of issue of the duty weapon?

Who owns the gun?

If the agency (fed, state, or local), there is "no transfer" and thus NO Registration is required.

If the agency orders the gun, BUT the officer pays for it, the officer owns it and paperwork (NICS, 4473, and FA-10) is required.

Strictly issuing of a federally owned weapon. The agency owns the weapon. There was no nics and certainly no 4473 and no dealer was involved even though the weapon is a handgun not on the approved list.

Thanks for answering my question Len.

Mach

Len,

is there a reference that defines 'transfer' or is it the context in the language on the FA-10?

thanks,

mach

Last edited:
I think he's referring to Transfer of ownership. If it's still a federal weapon, then it was never transfered to you. Speaking of Ownership. As you state, it's still theirs. Therefore, ownership was never transfered from the Federal Agency to you.

Definitions under MGL are real haphazard, so I'll defer to counsel to give you a definition or where to find it.

Common law meaning of the term should do however and there is no transfer when someone else retains legal ownership. To wit, if you are "issued" a company car in your role of Fed (or even your position in a private company), the car stays registered to the Agency/company that actually owns it. The day you quit, you must give it back because it does not belong to you. . .same with the gun in this case.

Back
Top Bottom