MA: SEVEN ROUND MAG BAN! This is not a joke.

DO NOT JUST SEND E-MAILS. They are far LESS effective than you can ever imagine.

I worked in the MA legislature for six years (for an A+ rated, GOAL endorsed politician). Many reps and senators won't even see the emails as they will get passed on to a staff member and the rep/senator will only end up approving a form letter or email response. The rep or senator may not even have any idea how many people that form letter is being sent to. They regularly get bombarded with hundreds of emails from single issue groups all over the country every single day. It's just a faceless un-serious way to communicate for something so important.

CALL THE OFFICE AND REQUEST TO SPEAK DIRECTLY TO YOUR SENATOR AND REPRESENTATIVE. Be polite to the staff (or your message may end up in the round file in some offices). If the rep or senator is not in or not available, leave a message with the staff member and request a call back from your rep or senator. Most of the time they will call you back. If you don't hear from them in 24-48 hours, call again. When speaking to them describe yourself. What do you do for a living? do you have kids in the local school system? are you involved in the community in any way? The more people they SPEAK to that can't be viewed as single-issue-gun-nuts, the more persuasive this will all be.

Even better than just speaking to them on the phone, get a group of 4-5 NESrs, friends, or fellow club members and SET UP A MEETING to meet with your rep or senator face to face. Most have local offices in their districts and/or hold local office hours. The anti-gun people are in there right now meeting with folks, why not you? SCHEDULE IT AHEAD OF TIME AND DON'T JUST SHOW UP or you will end up meeting with a staff member. In some offices that is just as good, but for any anti-2A or on the fence politicians, you need to meet with them directly.

If you do not have time to make phone calls, then WRITE A HARD COPY LETTER AND MAIL IT IN rather than sending an email. An office that gets a stack of even 50-100 letters on a topic will pay more attention to that issue than if they receive 500 emails. It may seem strange, but its absolutely true.

Concentrate on your own elected officials. If you do not live in someone's district they do not care what you have to say.

To those folks who think that the MA legislative process is "different" than that in NY, you are sadly mistaken. This legislature can, and will, ram through anything it dam well pleases WITHOUT prior notice, WITHOUT public hearings, and WITHOUT any public debate whatsoever. MA is LESS LIKELY to do this, but it doesn't mean it wouldn't happen. Almost every single "rule" that the House and Senate operate under can be suspended at any time with a simple voice vote. The speaker of the house and senate president have tremendous amounts of power. If they decide to go nuclear and push something through it will happen unless and until you get a handful of legislators who are willing to put their political capital on the line to stop it. I've witnessed it too many times to count. Everything that happens in that building happens behind closed doors and all the "public" debate is theater to placate special interest groups.

If you can't afford to take a sick day to meet with your elected representatives and spend a couple cents on two stamps, then the prospect of becoming a felon overnight isn't very concerning to you.

EDIT: Just to add, I no longer work there. I tried to do some good there after college by influencing things from the inside. I had some success but there is only so much that one person can do against a tide of progressive insanity.

Good post. Can you start a new thread on this and ask Derek to sticky it? We can't afford to have this very informative post get lost in the shuffle.

I'm sending emails todays. Just so I can ensure they know exactly what I emailing them about, what are you guys using in the subject line? Is there a formal File# to reference?

This bill will ensure we are all stuck with the approved weapons roster and AGs regs.

And to point out how far reaching this magazine ban is, 1911 mags and m1 garand stripper clips will become the new high capacity ammunition feeding devices.

DO NOT JUST SEND E-MAILS. They are far LESS effective than you can ever imagine.

I worked in the MA legislature for six years (for an A+ rated, GOAL endorsed politician). Many reps and senators won't even see the emails as they will get passed on to a staff member and the rep/senator will only end up approving a form letter or email response. The rep or senator may not even have any idea how many people that form letter is being sent to. They regularly get bombarded with hundreds of emails from single issue groups all over the country every single day. It's just a faceless un-serious way to communicate for something so important.

CALL THE OFFICE AND REQUEST TO SPEAK DIRECTLY TO YOUR SENATOR AND REPRESENTATIVE. Be polite to the staff (or your message may end up in the round file in some offices). If the rep or senator is not in or not available, leave a message with the staff member and request a call back from your rep or senator. Most of the time they will call you back. If you don't hear from them in 24-48 hours, call again. When speaking to them describe yourself. What do you do for a living? do you have kids in the local school system? are you involved in the community in any way? The more people they SPEAK to that can't be viewed as single-issue-gun-nuts, the more persuasive this will all be.

Even better than just speaking to them on the phone, get a group of 4-5 NESrs, friends, or fellow club members and SET UP A MEETING to meet with your rep or senator face to face. Most have local offices in their districts and/or hold local office hours. The anti-gun people are in there right now meeting with folks, why not you? SCHEDULE IT AHEAD OF TIME AND DON'T JUST SHOW UP or you will end up meeting with a staff member. In some offices that is just as good, but for any anti-2A or on the fence politicians, you need to meet with them directly.

If you do not have time to make phone calls, then WRITE A HARD COPY LETTER AND MAIL IT IN rather than sending an email. An office that gets a stack of even 50-100 letters on a topic will pay more attention to that issue than if they receive 500 emails. It may seem strange, but its absolutely true.

Concentrate on your own elected officials. If you do not live in someone's district they do not care what you have to say.

To those folks who think that the MA legislative process is "different" than that in NY, you are sadly mistaken. This legislature can, and will, ram through anything it dam well pleases WITHOUT prior notice, WITHOUT public hearings, and WITHOUT any public debate whatsoever. MA is LESS LIKELY to do this, but it doesn't mean it wouldn't happen. Almost every single "rule" that the House and Senate operate under can be suspended at any time with a simple voice vote. The speaker of the house and senate president have tremendous amounts of power. If they decide to go nuclear and push something through it will happen unless and until you get a handful of legislators who are willing to put their political capital on the line to stop it. I've witnessed it too many times to count. Everything that happens in that building happens behind closed doors and all the "public" debate is theater to placate special interest groups.

If you can't afford to take a sick day to meet with your elected representatives and spend a couple cents on two stamps, then the prospect of becoming a felon overnight isn't very concerning to you.

EDIT: Just to add, I no longer work there. I tried to do some good there after college by influencing things from the inside. I had some success but there is only so much that one person can do against a tide of progressive insanity.

Bump for Excellence.

Emailed my Rep (Lombardo) and Senator (Donnelly). Going to call today.

EDIT: Just saw the above post (I quick replied...). I will send a hard copy as well.

Response from Rep Angelo Pupello

Robert,

Thanks for the email. As your State Representative, I appreciate your continued input. Please know that I have read and made note of the points you made relative to the proposals by Governor Patrick.

Please know that this is only the beginning of the debate. I am concerned as well, and frankly I am reviewing his proposals now and look forward to debating these issues in the House.

I have been a watchdog on budgetary and waste issues in the Commonwealth and I have been supportive of lawful gun owners and hunters in the past. I have and continue to work with my constituents and GOAL and the NRA on issues of mutual concern and sensible proposals; but we also need to review mental health issues as it relates to this as well. I will keep the points you raised when this issue is debated in te House of Representatives. - Angelo Puppelo

What you don't see with both GOAL and the NRA at the moment, though I know it is happening because I have been making enough calls to the statehouse to hear about it, is that this phase prior to actual bills hitting committee is about scrambling around to meet with everyone to prime the pump with information rather than ignorance.

Among issues at the moment is that Patrick's bill next goes to the judiciary committee, but the committee does not yet exist.

I know this process is very frustrating and the NRA and GOAL aren't accustomed to communicating this phase of lobbying because ordinarily, sadly, no one cares. Understand that to have this level of anger and organization of opposition to bill that didn't exist until a couple of days ago is a new, and very good thing for us.

In years past, GOAL and NRA had to first convince people there was a reason to be outraged.

Stay outraged, but focus your anger on the real cause. I am all for constructive criticism and have communicated my own.

It is imperative that as soon as a judiciary committee is established we find out who the members are and do everything we can to influence them.

Does anybody know how one is "appointed" to said committee?

Does anybody know how one is "appointed" to said committee?

The speaker and senate president appoint the members. In practice, the two chairs of the committee matter exponentially more than anyone else. The other members largely defer to the judgment and decisions of the chairs.

Grandfathered for one year. Then you have to get rid of them. They're giving you one year to dump all your 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 30, 40, drums, pre-ban, post-ban, ultra-ban, whatever.

SECTION 25. Said section 131M of chapter 140 of the General Laws, as so appearing, is hereby further amended by adding the following paragraph:-

Any large capacity feeding device that has or can readily be restored or converted to accept....... more than ten rounds of ammunition that was legally possessed by an individual prior to the enactment of this act must be sold or otherwise lawfully disposed of within one year of the act’s effective date......

Such large capacity feeding devices may only be sold or disposed of to a purchaser authorized to possess such weapons.

Negative. Any magazine above 10+ rounds will need to be turned in/destroyed within one year, even preban 1994's. Any magazine 10 or less you can keep but only load with 7 rounds. Going forward you will not be able to purchase a magaine that holds more than 7.

Pre-ban 1994 "assault weapons" will also need to be disposed of. I presume that our neutered AR's post 1994 will be grandfathered because technically they are not considered "assault weapons".

Don't be afraid to call. In the digital age, taking the time to call is almost equivalent to breaking out a Parker Duofold, inking it up and using your best Copperplate or Spencerian hand to craft a letter.

The call takers are friendly and want to hear what you say. Call someboday today!

Don't be afraid to call. In the digital age, taking the time to call is almost equivalent to breaking out a Parker Duofold, inking it up and using your best Copperplate or Spencerian hand to craft a letter.

The call takers are friendly and want to hear what you say. Call someboday today!

A sternly worded letter indeed good sir!

[laugh]

So far, I haven't actually spoken to one legislator, only staff members and I've been calling quite a bit. Pretty disappointing.

Last edited:
So for the hell of it, I decided to call Patrick's office. I talked to a staffer and described why I'm against the 7 round magazine provision. In particular, I mentioned that if someone loads a 10 round mag to 8 rounds, that person is now a felon. I gave the example of a homeowner who defends his home and is later found to have loaded 8 rounds, that person would be charged a a felon.

I asked the staffer is that what the governor intended (to make otherwise law abiding citizens felons) and he said yes.

There it is people.

So for the hell of it, I decided to call Patrick's office. I talked to a staffer and described why I'm against the 7 round magazine provision. In particular, I mentioned that if someone loads a 10 round mag to 8 rounds, that person is now a felon. I gave the example of a homeowner who defends his home and is later found to have loaded 8 rounds, that person would be charged a a felon.

I asked the staffer is that what the governor intended (to make otherwise law abiding citizens felons) and he said yes.

There it is people.

i said this in another thread, or maybe it was this one... call back and ask how it feels to be a domestic enemy of the united states consitution.

i said this in another thread, or maybe it was this one... call back and ask how it feels to be a domestic enemy of the united states consitution.

Just remembered, the staffer also said "nobody needs 10 rounds".

response from my rep.

[FONT=&amp]Dear W.E.C,[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Thank you for your email in regards to Governor Patrick’s firearms proposal. I appreciate you taking the time to contact me about this important issue. I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind as this proposal is debated. If you would like to speak with me directly about this or if there is anything else that I can assist you with please do not hesitate to contact my office.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Sincerely,[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Rhonda L. Nyman[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]State Representative[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]5th Plymouth District[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Hanover-Norwell-Rockland[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Phone: 617-722-2210[/FONT]

I cannot, for the love of all that is Holy, figure out this stupid f*^%#ng state. Just when you think the leaders could not get anymore stupid, they ask that you keep your magazine, but only fill it to 7. You have to be the dumbest moron on the planet to think that makes sense. Good grief, what if i am stupid, but responsible, but I just can't count well!!!! Now we are punishing people with low IQs? When does the madness end!

I cannot, for the love of all that is Holy, figure out this stupid f*^%#ng state. Just when you think the leaders could not get anymore stupid, they ask that you keep your magazine, but only fill it to 7. You have to be the dumbest moron on the planet to think that makes sense. Good grief, what if i am stupid, but responsible, but I just can't count well!!!! Now we are punishing people with low IQs? When does the madness end!

Life punishes people with low IQ's ... unless they go into politics that is. The madness will end when we stop electing idiots and start minding our own f'ing business.

mBSar.png

response from my rep.

Dear W.E.C,

Thank you for your email in regards to Governor Patrick’s firearms proposal. I appreciate you taking the time to contact me about this important issue. I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind as this proposal is debated. If you would like to speak with me directly about this or if there is anything else that I can assist you with please do not hesitate to contact my office.

Sincerely,

Rhonda L. Nyman
State Representative
5th Plymouth District
Hanover-Norwell-Rockland
Phone: 617-722-2210

In other words...eat a dick W.E.C

Direct that anger towards the politicians. Call them. Email them. Be polite. If you feel as if they are serious moonbats, tell them to deep throat a telephone pole. And yeah I told one of the reps' secretaries that. He said "well sir have a good day. " a**h***.

Sent from my POS iPhone

From the gov

Dear*Ron:
On behalf of Governor Deval L. Patrick, thank you for your recent correspondence regarding firearm safety and legislation.
Governor Patrick believes that successfully deterring gun violence requires a multi-faceted approach and should include policies focused on guns and at-risk individuals.* That is why the Governor has and will continue to push for legislation that includes a formal collaboration between Massachusetts and the National Mental Health Registry, a ban on assault weapons and a limit on the amount of guns one person can buy in a given month.**
Once again, thank you for your input on this important issue.* Please feel free to contact our office again in the future with any additional questions or concerns.* Your comments are always welcome in this administration.
Sincerely,*
Governor Patrick's Constituent Services Office
617-725-4005
www.mass.gov/governor/contact

In other words...eat a dick W.E.C

Sorry I think that's pretty crass, hers is a WAY better response than most give to constituents in this state, which is often dead silence.

If the idea is to get these people on our side you can't do that by pissing in their face when they say "hello".

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom