MA: SEVEN ROUND MAG BAN! This is not a joke.

Just sent;

To: [email protected], [email protected]

Subject: Re; An Act To Strengthen and Enhance Firearms Laws in the Commonwealth

Attn; Senator Lovely & Representative Parisella

I implore both of you to vote no on Governor Patrick's ludicrous gun proposal. Some of the language in this bill is appalling. I am truly saddened by the Newtown tragedy, but what the Governor is proposing will not stop this from happening again. This will only punish the law abiding gun owner. Myself, wife and daughters are all avid shooters, and except for my youngest, we all own semi-automatic handguns and rifles.

By punishing us, you don't get any more illegal guns off the street. We can't keep drugs from coming across the border or human beings for that matter, how will illegal firearms be any different.

People of power and means have armed body guards, but who will protect my wife and daughters. The police would respond, after an incident to investigate, but not to protect. Men have a physical advantage over women, but I feel better knowing my girls can protect themselves.

If you read the proposal you'll see that if I buy a gun and a magazine in the same month, I'll be convicted of a felony, fined up to $1,000.00 and face up to 2-1/2 years in prison. The same would happen to me if I rented a gun, which I do sometimes to try out before I buy it, twice in one month. How does this prevent anything?

Massachusetts already has one of the toughest gun laws in the United States, although not as tough as Chicago. The Supreme Court just recently overturned Chicago's outright ban on all handguns ( McDonald v Chicago ). They had 532 murders in 2012, not working so well it appears.

The Federal "assault weapons ban" expired in 2004, and violent crime involving firearms has gone down. According to the FBI's Homicide Date Table 11 for 2011, less than 3% of murders in the US were committed with rifles, all types, this includes so called assault weapons. Murders with hammers & clubs accounted for 4%. Personal Weapons ( hands, fists & feet ) accounted for 6% of murders that year.

Concentrate on mental health care and improving the quality of data supporting NICs checks (National Instant Criminal Background Check System). Instead of passing more gun laws, enforce the more than 20,000 laws that already exist.

Please don't be drawn in by this fear mongering, and please don't let the Governor ram through bad legislation before anyone can object ( like Gov. Cuomo did in NY ). Don't take away our constitutional and God given right ( yes, I believe in God ) to defend ourselves.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I've lived in this state all 49 years of my life and I've seen many changes, few for the better.

I’m a homeowner, business owner and taxpayer.

I am your constituent and I vote.

Please represent myself and my family.

David *. **** , ** ******** ****, Beverly, Mass 01915-2771

Last edited:
Don't forget the incredibly dangerous Ruger 10/22 (AKA the Boy Scout Rifle)

Aw shit. I was thinking of buying some extra mags a few months ago and the tri-clip or whatever. Never got around to it, now they're all out of stock and 2-3x as much on ebay [sad2]

I'm learning the hard way to never put off firearm / ammo / accessory purchases.

I don't own a single magazine under 10 rounds. I refuse to. I carry a glock 17 with its STANDARD 17 round magazine. I refuse to carry anything else. This is suuuuuch bullshit. They're forcing good people out of the state with this shit. No way am I selling or DESTROYING the mags I've spent so much money on!!! **** MA. I've had it. As much as I love this state for its rich history and excellent areas, I guess that's what pictures and books are for. Sad sad day.

I haven't seen this pointed out yet.

The 1 gun per month part actually references buy, rent or lease. So Iguess if you rent a gun at a range you can't actually buy or rent again for 30 days. And does this mean gun ranges that rent guns would be required to run a background check on everyone who rents a gun so that their 1 gun per month is recorded?

Yes, they will basically be out of business. And I'm not sure if the gun or magazine verbiage was intentional, but it sure does make the whole thing a lot more onerous.

anyone noticed the zero news coverage about this? nuthin in boston.com, etc fox that i could find

- - - Updated - - -

anyone noticed the zero news coverage about this? nuthin in boston.com, etc fox that i could find

- - - Updated - - -

It is interesting. And not much coverage on the tax issue either.

Most of the people I have talked to this week are unaware of the NY laws, Patrick's proposal, or the tax changes. Just shows you how much attention the general public is paying.

The good news, if we can get them to do something about it, is most of the folks I have talked to, pro or not, don't think any of this legislation will reduce crime at all. People do not trust the government. They just don't think they can change anything.

Was anyone able to figure out from the legislative speak if a tactical shotgun with an 8 rnd tube would be banned? I'm assuming it would...but then would it be grandfathered if you already owned it?

I swear, they way they put out just the excerpts is meant to confuse people. When we write engineering specs we do strikethroughs and bold the changes. That'd be infinitely simpler.

Just made some calls. I spoke with Elizabeth Poirer (i'm amazed she answered the call this late and nice lady). She doesn't support Devals plan.

- - - Updated - - -

http://bostinno.com/2013/01/17/pro-gun-rallies-planned-in-boston/

Untitled20.png

A couple newspaper articles I was reading said nothing about the magazine restrictions but a lot about everything else. We need to get that out to everyone seeing how that would be the most infuriating part to most gun owners.

Talked to 3 different LEOs about this bill and the NY law. All think it/they're asinine.

Is there any way we can get LEO's to organize on our (and their) behalf to fight this? If the police union came out against this, that would be huge for us.

Does anyone have an account on www.masscops.com to ask?

Last edited:
Does anyone have an account on www.masscops.com to ask?

I think this thread shows their point of view: http://www.masscops.com/threads/hold-on-tight-ladies-and-gents-here-it-comes.114214

Up yours doucheval
Is the government going to reimburse citizens for essentially seizing their private property?
Call me crazy, but I don't think the lines to turn in magazines will be very long if this abomination becomes law.
The radical liberals and Occupy idiots have been screaming about a revolution......they just might get it, but it won't end the way they envision.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, there is a media blackout, which was part of the roll out strategy.

Emailed my reps, no response, so I will be following up with a phone call tomorrow. I have pretty good reps as far as 2A goes, Sen Marc Pacheco and Rep Angelo D'Emilia.

I'm so sorry you guys. I plan on joining relevant organizations as soon as I move. I would be there on Saturday if I lived there already. I never thought I'd be so happy to be living in Texas for a few more months, or to have grown up and hunted in redneck southern states.

Jeez, in all this legislation I have not yet seen the establishment of an elite corps of special police to help with compliance.

Well, we can draw our own conclusions from the strange new paragraph (iii) added to Section 131 of Chapter 140:

(o) No person shall be issued a license to carry or possess a machine gun in the commonwealth, except that a licensing authority or the colonel of the state police may issue a machine gun license to an individual who possesses a valid license to carry under this section and is:

(i) a firearm instructor certified by the municipal police training committee for the sole purpose of firearm instruction to police personnel;
(ii) a bona fide collector of firearms upon application or upon application for renewal of such license; or
(iii) a law enforcement officer employed by such licensing authority or a law enforcement officer employed by or appointed as a special state police officer by the colonel.

Existing, pre-owned, 10 rounders would be grandfathered. Future acquisitions 7 rounds only.
Grandfathered for one year. Then you have to get rid of them. They're giving you one year to dump all your 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 30, 40, drums, pre-ban, post-ban, ultra-ban, whatever.

SECTION 25. Said section 131M of chapter 140 of the General Laws, as so appearing, is hereby further amended by adding the following paragraph:-

Any large capacity feeding device that has or can readily be restored or converted to accept....... more than ten rounds of ammunition that was legally possessed by an individual prior to the enactment of this act must be sold or otherwise lawfully disposed of within one year of the act’s effective date......

Such large capacity feeding devices may only be sold or disposed of to a purchaser authorized to possess such weapons.

Edit: I stand corrected, thanks. Ten rounds will be OK to keep

Last edited:
This might have been said already so sorry if I am repeating...

Our legislative process is different here than in NY.

Typically its not the gov who has the power.its the speaker of the house. He is the gate keeper. And for some odd reason, the two rarely see eye to eye.

So I would be very surprised to see anything rammed thru in a day. I would also be surprised to see the gov's original ideas not get dramatically altered.

In fact,there have already been comments from some legislators saying interesting, but we will have to review much more. INO , not everyone is jumping on the bandwagon.

This doesn't mean we should sit back. In fact, just the opposite. Contact your legislators.

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom