• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA State Police visit after online ammo purchase

I hate to post vague, 4th-hand sounding info, but a close friend of mine (valid LTC holder) was just visited by 2 MA state police officers at his house after he had a few thousand rounds delivered from a common online retailer. He didn't let them in nor did they have a warrant, but apparently they are getting tipped off by UPS as to these deliveries and "following up".

Use caution when having stuff delivered to a MA address!

My UPS driver once delivered two very heavy packages that required a signature. As I was signing, he asked, "So. What do you shoot?" I told him that those boxes were 5.56. He said, "Like an AR?" I responded, "Yep. Exactly like that." He said, "Cool" and simply left. Your friend's UPS driver sounds like an @sshole.

I'd be surprised if it was the actual driver who called the cops. I'd be asking him about it directly next time he came by in any case.

We need more info, and more examples of this happening if they exist. If UPS is doing this they need to fear getting Bud Lighted.

IF this happened, it wasn't the driver but further up the delivery chain, maybe at the point of origin.

My UPS driver once delivered two very heavy packages that required a signature. As I was signing, he asked, "So. What do you shoot?" I told him that those boxes were 5.56. He said, "Like an AR?" I responded, "Yep. Exactly like that." He said, "Cool" and simply left. Your friend's UPS driver sounds like an @sshole.

I'd be surprised if it was the actual driver who called the cops. I'd be asking him about it directly next time he came by in any case.

We need more info, and more examples of this happening if they exist. If UPS is doing this they need to fear getting Bud Lighted.
This.

This info needs to travel up all levels of UPS, to all [firearms] vendors that are shipping with them, and to the usual friendly media outlets (TFB, Jared, et al.).

But first, it needs to be substantiated. No "uncle's cousin's best friend's hair dressers," but "Jim, from Dingleberry, MA." This isn't a dig on the OP, but these kinds of rumors wreak havoc if they can't be supported.

IF this happened, it wasn't the driver but further up the delivery chain, maybe at the point of origin.

Not a doubt in my mind that it happened. Every package is scanned and recorded by computer. It’s a data miners wet dream.

If you sign up for the USPS informed delivery you can see a picture of what is coming in the mail.

What did they want?
This.....good friend of yours....but no specific details.......why so vague?

They showed up and asked what? What were their questions?

My good friend's brother is MSP and I know him well, and he would NOT do this, not that I don't think Healy might have a goon squad.

Last edited:
I don't buy it, if your friend didn't have a ltc maybe, but the ltc is easy to look up in connection to an investigation.

"Hey we got a tip Jimmy's getting ammo in the mail!"
"Does Jimmy have a ltc?"
"Yes Sir"
"Whats the problem?"
This.....get a few heavy packages from an online ammo vendor without an LTC and they will likely be showing up with a warrant maybe. Town and MSP probably.

But odds are they are contacting the town police first about it. They will certainly know beforehand if you have an LTC.

What did they say? Why were they there? I can't imagine the SP having the time to show up at every person's house that orders a couple of thousand rounds of ammo.

Who said they showed at up everyones house?

I dont doubt that if you ordered a few thousand rounds with non discreet packaging , that someone will get tipped off.

Not a doubt in my mind that it happened. Every package is scanned and recorded by computer. It’s a data miners wet dream.

If you sign up for the USPS informed delivery you can see a picture of what is coming in the mail.

Nobody doubts the carrier being aware of the shipment's details, it's a couple of state troopers knocking on your door that needs to be validated and then explained.

Nobody doubts the carrier being aware of the shipment's details, it's a couple of state troopers knocking on your door that needs to be validated and then explained.
This.....typically.....some vetting would be done before going to the door.

There is no doubt people have been dimed out by postal services.....usually in most cases....they have no LTC.

My UPS guy regularly delivers reloading components. It's pretty obvious what the contents are - and he's a member of my local gun club. I would say "nobody here gives a f***"; but I'm sure there must be somebody, somewhere around here who cares - I just haven't run into them.

It's SUCH a different atmosphere here as opposed to New England.

My PCP is a member of my gun club; primarily skeet.
My dentist is a member of my gun club; primarily long distance rifle and some skeet.
Saw my chiropractor this morning, he shoots IDPA/USPSA with me.

Back
Top Bottom