Maintaining reloading equipment in humid conditions??

I just rec'd my Hornady LNL press today and it seems to be working right now (had problem previously). Anyway- I now have a nice shiny press along with dies, etc. Given that the humidity levels are so low I'm not worried about surface rust now.. but my equipment is in my garage and it does get humid in the summer months. What have you folks done to minimize rust? My primary concerns are the powder measure and case activated drop since I can't keep any oil on these parts!

Any advice or techniques would be appreciated!

I keep my press in the basement, and I occasionally get water down there. I noticed a little bit of rust on my press. I wiped it down with a thin coat of oil. no more problems.... but my press is 90% plastic[grin] I don't know what you could do about the powder measure since you can't use oil.

maybe a light coat of wax?

Last edited:
Suggestion try a thin coat of Nu Finish car wax on the metal surface,I tried this on my table saw and it works the nuts My cellar tends to be damp BTW it doesn't attract or hold on to dust dirt etc

Suggestion try a thin coat of Nu Finish car wax on the metal surface,I tried this on my table saw and it works the nuts My cellar tends to be damp BTW it doesn't attract or hold on to dust dirt etc

I'll second this suggestion, just be sure that the pieces are clean and dry when you apply and buff it off.

I use car paste wax on my jointer and tablesaw surfaces and other precision surfaces and it has preserved the surface nicely for many years. For long term storage of metals, including several brand new guns that are put away, I use a product called IronClad from ZEP Corporation. It sprays on and coats the surface with a clean parrafin like coating that will not hurt the finish or plastics and cleans off easily, unlike cosmoline.

Back
Top Bottom