• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Man Accidentally Kills Pregnant Wife While Cleaning Gun

The guy's a 3-time felon who "accidentally" kills his wife while "cleaning" his gun. Color me skeptical.

Enio Abreu was previously charged with a felony for forging a passport in 1992 and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon in 1997. A few years later he was caught with a gun while soliciting a prostitute.

Last edited:
must have been a glock [rofl2]

-j/k about the Glock... i couldn't resist. this is f***ed up though!

The guys a 3-time felon who "accidentally" kills his wife while "cleaning" his gun. Color me skeptical.

This is unfortunately a perfect example why shooting cases are not cleared at the scene.

im pretty sure felons can have guns in their house in the state of FL. i could of sworn i saw that in a FL gun law article. could be wrong.

im pretty sure felons can have guns in their house in the state of FL. i could of sworn i saw that in a FL gun law article. could be wrong.

You are wrong - there is no "could be" about it.

A felon in possession is a violation of FEDERAL law.

Hardly news to the rest of us.......

It doesn't matter where it is Florida or not. Felons cannot have guns.. Period..

This guy killed his wife.

A three time felon does not clean a gun let alone accidently kill anyone.

Would it be improper to inquire as to why a supposed "3-time felon" even HAD a gun?

He acquired it the same way all criminals get them. Walk in to a gun store and buy one. Oh wait.......they can't, but an anti would probably say that and use this instance to pass more legislation to make it harder for legitimate people to get them.

Perhaps he took the felon's illegal handgun safety course and belonged to Criminals Against Handguns. [sad]

648174.jpg

IIRC, and maybe Scrivener can correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a law saying if in the comission of a felony you kill someone, even by accident you can be charged with 1st degree murder?

The felony murder rule is a legal doctrine current in some common law countries that broadens the crime of murder in two ways. First, when a victim dies accidentally or without specific intent in the course of an applicable felony, it increases what might have been manslaughter (or even a simple tort) to murder. Second, it makes any participant in such a felony criminally responsible for any deaths that occur during or in furtherance of that felony. While there is some debate about the original scope of the rule, modern interpretations typically require that the felony be an obviously dangerous one, or one committed in an obviously dangerous manner. For this reason, the felony murder rule is often justified by its supporters as a means of deterring dangerous felonies.

I don't see them applying the Felony Murder Rule in this case. A possible example would be if someone is in the process of robbing a store and someone dies but not by your hand (such as a heart attack) the rule can be applied. That is a very broad interpretation as an example.

Felony murder would be an egregious stretch of a doctrine applied to actively felonious activity, which simply cleaning a gun is clearly not. While the mere act of possessing the gun was itself felonious in this instance, that is not what the doctrine was designed for.

I suspect a straight murder charge would be the far more likely approach, although negligent homicide would be a virtual slam-dunk.

http://www.wftv.com/news/16817263/detail.html

Neighbor and gun owner Joseph Lowe said the tragic incident could have been prevented.

"Before I even pick it up, the first thing I do is check the magazine to make sure that it is empty. I try to keep the breech open while I'm cleaning it, that way it can't fire," he said.

Huh???

"I try to keep the breech open while I'm cleaning it...but sometimes, dang it, I just can't get that round out of there, no matter how hard I try, and go a head and clean the gun anyway."

Stop me if you've heard this one before: If this guy was behind bars where he belonged, the woman and baby would be doing just fine today.

Yet more proof that laws like FIP (Felon In Posession) do absolutely jack shit in terms of protecting people. [rolleyes]

-Mike

Oops, dupe. Sorry...[thinking]

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,377861,00.html

ORLANDO, Fla. — A pregnant woman and her unborn child have died in central Florida after being accidentally shot by the woman's husband, authorities said.

Yailen Abreu, 23, and the fetus died Tuesday at Orlando Regional Medical Center.

Orange County sheriff's officials said Abreu was hit in the stomach while her husband was cleaning his gun late Monday at their Orlando-area home. She was six months pregnant.

The bullet struck 39-year-old Enio Abreu in the hand before hitting in his wife, authorities said.

NRA:

Before cleaning your gun, make absolutely sure that it is unloaded. The gun's action should be open during the cleaning process. Also, be sure that no ammunition is present in the cleaning area.

Last edited:
When I hear "I was cleaning my gun when..." the first thing I think of is what you'd tell your folks after running the family car into a tree. "I was swerving to avoid a..." or "It just went off," or...

When I hear "I was cleaning my gun when..." the first thing I think of is what you'd tell your folks after running the family car into a tree. "I was swerving to avoid a..." or "It just went off," or...

IMHO it's right up there with "I was driving my car and a telephone pole appeared in the middle of the road!" [laugh]

-Mike

The bullet struck 39-year-old Enio Abreu in the hand before hitting in his wife, authorities said.

It would appear as though this guy *realized* it was about to go off and did the responsible thing... He tried to stop the bullet with his hand! [smile]

-bk

He acquired it the same way all criminals get them. Walk in to a gun store and buy one. Oh wait.......they can't, but an anti would probably say that and use this instance to pass more legislation to make it harder for legitimate people to get them.

Must have used that "Gun show loophole" thats all the rage these days.[rofl]

It would appear as though this guy *realized* it was about to go off and did the responsible thing... He tried to stop the bullet with his hand! [smile]

-bk

Should have used his head instead. Literally.

What a senseless waste of two lives. [sad2]

Back
Top Bottom