Mansfield (MA) F&G Protective Assn

I don't think this is something we should continue in an open forum.

This is club business, not the worlds.

We have members meetings every month to talk about this stuff, and Board of Directors meetings at the end of the month. Come to one and express these opinions.

Was at the club tonight, and again the answer(s) don't make everyone happy and there are more than one answer.

I think CAS people interested should contact the guy at MF&G planning a postponed shoot, someone else in CAS at the club or an officer. Everything else is just extra talk.

The club grossed amounts varying with attendance based on event timing and weather.

Food, various repairs, etc were in both the CAS and general fund so there is no one answer on net for a shoot. For example extra food would be used for the monthly meeting.

Looking forward can help determine if a shoot can happen.

Dana

Which would suggest an INTERNAL problem, I think.---Scrivener
Ask Paul WHO that INTERNAL problem was, the answer does not hurt MY argument.

While how much was generated is questioned, that there WAS a profit is not.
Finished that indoor range?
YET?
---Scrivener
Not all Mansfield shooters care about an indoor range.

If CAS is going to base their value to the Mansfield club on profit then how much profit matters. If non CAS shooters are going to value there lost range time on CAS profits then how much matters.

I can never get an answer to that, but the implication is that it is going to be massive ($1,000 a month per C-Pher, times 6 or 7 months over 3 years). What troubles me is I would expect that I’d noticed this kind of income. I’m sure someone outside of CAS would have mentioned this to me, too.

My take in talking with non CAS Mansfield shooters is they have preferred this last, CAS free, year to when CAS shot at Mansfield.

Personally, I don’t care who shoots at Mansfield and I don’t care if they generate any profit at all, as long as they are safe, enjoy themselves and get the range open for the other shooters in the club.

Me, I can always go shoot a match or practice at Independent if I want.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Ask Paul WHO that INTERNAL problem was, the answer does not hurt MY argument.

You clearly and egregiously missed the point, which was in reference to the inability to track the revenue from CAS events. The WHOLE comment read as follows:

Which would suggest an INTERNAL problem, I think. While how much was generated is questioned, that there WAS a profit is not.

Note the complete and utter absence of anything involving personalities or individuals.

Not all Mansfield shooters care about an indoor range.

Clearly. Years after I was told one was imminent, it is no closer to completion.

Purely the club's call, of course, but it does illustrate an issue.

Personally, I don’t care who shoots at Mansfield and I don’t care if they generate any profit at all, as long as they are safe, enjoy themselves and get the range open for the other shooters in the club.

An eminently reasonable position.

Last edited:
No, the problem is you’re telling me what I should care about. That is a good example of the point I’m trying to make.

Ok, this is the last post I'm going to make about this.

I'm not telling you what you should care about. I'm saying that as a member of this club, one should care about ANY money coming into the club. Be it a CAS shoot, the .22 shoots, Black Powder, C&R, anything...

This club is that...a club. We should all care about this place...it's more than just a "place to shoot." We're like a little freaking family. And we should care about cleaning up, working on things, bringing in money to keep the club moving forward.

I spent a lot of time when I had it at that club. I helped build that porch, I helped cleaned up railroad ties. I sorted and stacked them in order of how good they were...People did more than just go and shoot. And I'm sorry if I feel that as a member, we should care.

Well, if you have a quote of mine in your post, could you please remove that section?

Thank you...

I was informed that my comments were an embarrassment to the club.

I have some hard decisions now to make...so I apologize for the detriment I have caused to this club.

Last edited:
C-Pher,
You're not the only one who has worked on the club!

And I'm sorry if I feel that as a member, we should care.---C-Pher
I don't care who shoots at the club, hope that clears it up for you.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Which would suggest an INTERNAL problem, I think. While how much was generated is questioned, that there WAS a profit is not.---Scrivener

Note the complete and utter absence of anything involving personalities or individuals.---Scrivener

I thought you were continuing your previous post’s statement about Action Pistol moving to Independent. My error.

But now that I understand your top quote I can see you misunderstood (I think) my statement about not being able “…to get an actual figure, …”. I meant I couldn’t get an actual (factual) figure from any CAS shooter who referenced how much CAS brought into the club, not from the club itself.

CAS members seem to know they made money, CAS members seem to know they made a lot of money but CAS members don’t seem to know how much. Were I to justify the actions of my chosen shooting sport by its profit (or just to brag for that matter), I’d want to know what that profit was.

I looked at C-Pher’s statement about CAS making $1,000 a month and thought it was wrong, without actually knowing that it’s wrong. I suspected that figure would/will be appended from $1,000 a month to $1,000 every two months. Then I thought it would be appended again from making $1,000 every two months to making less then $1,000 every two months (perhaps much less). And then I would expect it to be appended a third time from making less then $1,000 every two months to grossing less then $1,000 every two months.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Last edited:
There has been a lot of forward motion on the indoor range in the past year.

I'm grateful for the hard work of the members and the Board of Directors and Officers of the club, who have moved this indoor range forward, ignoring the difficulties and inertia of the past.

Mansfield is a nice place. To me it is... "a place to shoot", where I meet a lot of friends.

I guess it's a lot like a little family too, because we have our infighting and bitching just like in a family.

I don't want to see anyone of our club members feel uncomfortable about being a member.

We all have the right to our opinions, but let's be a little gentle with our commments, and agree to work together for the sake of all. None of us are MORE EQUAL than others.

When I joined, the club was a cozy little shack up on a gravel hill. No official range, just a pit, but we had fun, and lots of activity. Over the years we sold that gravel, bought a building in pieces, got it assembled, built a 100 yard range, closed in the shooting stations, got into the new clubhouse and we are finally moving toward a completed indoor range. Our membership seems to be healthy, and lots of people are using the facilities.

We're a growing club with good people. Let's not forget why we're there... to enjoy our sport, and each other.

Let's stop the bitchin' little girl whining.

adress change.

Crap, is it already time to pay dues again??? Didn't we just do that and get a new key??

Man, time flies.

I've got the neighborhood block party this Saturday, and I'm working Sunday.... So this weekend is out for me.

ANd now that I'm working Wednesday NIghts...I'm missing all sorts of information.

I need to pay my dues...I didn't get a letter saying that it was time either....so that's why I'm confused.

Chris,

Didn't your address change since the last renewal? You may want to see if the club has your current and correct address.

frizz

Great news (and much thanks to Fred & Bill)!

At last night's meeting, MF&G voted to BEGIN construction of the indoor range. Phase 1 (of 7) was authorized to do concrete work on the range.

It will take considerable time and money to get the range built, but after years of discussion, taking that first step to action is a mighty big step indeed.

Great news (and much thanks to Fred & Bill)!

At last night's meeting, MF&G voted to BEGIN construction of the indoor range. Phase 1 (of 7) was authorized to do concrete work on the range.

It will take considerable time and money to get the range built, but after years of discussion, taking that first step to action is a mighty big step indeed.
[banana]

Mansfield Fish & Game

I'm a BRPC member which is close to my work, but would like to also join a club close to my home.

Anybody have any thoughts on this club? Does it get crowded? Are there ROs needed to shoot? If so, is there one always there? How is the clubhouse? Is the indoor pistol range going to be completed this year? When is the best time to go over there and check it out, talk to someone? Etc., etc.

Thanks for any information.

There is already a thread on MF&G. Do a Search and you'll find a lot more info.

I'm a member at both BR&P and MF&G, they serve different purposes for me.

I really like MF&G because:

- I can shoot at any distance on the 50 yd range,
- I can practice defensive tactics on this range,
- I can shoot steel, clays, tin cans or plastic there . . . just clean up after yourself.

There are a few folks that do NRA courses there, so it can be busy on those days. Otherwise, typically no more than 1-3 people can be found on the ranges. 50BMG (president) can usually be found there in the afternoons many days, but he leaves the gate locked when he's there.

No ROs needed or present.

Since there is no indoor range, cable/sat TV, nobody hangs around the clubhouse. MF&G does not become a social gathering spot like BR&P does.

No, the indoor range will take a lot longer than a year to complete. Money is the limiting factor, so the club is doing it in phases and as more money becomes available, they will roll out the next phase, etc.

I'd recommend contacting 50BMG with an Email or PM and arranging to meet him there if you can make it when he's there. I tend to bop in there rarely in the real cold weather and then it's usually when I'm working nearby during the day.

If you'll be at the BR&P meeting tonight, I'll be there and be happy to answer any further questions you might have.

Honestly, I saw it but didn't want to read about 2-3 years ago and then all the CAS situation posts and then money issues...

I was just looking for some up to date general information on the club and you have provided it. Thank you for your response!

I am liking many of the things you've mentioned. I do love BR&P, but sometimes the amount of people there is a bit distracting, on and off the line. (IMHO) Sounds a bit less 'formal' at Mansfield without ROs, targets allowed, and defensive shooting allowed. I'm interested, plus it is only a mile and half from my house.

Lens, I may stop by tonight, what do you look like so that I may introduce myself? - have you posted a pic on the picture thread?

50 BMG if reading this:

One other quick question, what do I do with the membership application? Should I just send it to the address on it with a $200 check or bring it to one of the membership meetings?

Thanks!

You need to show up at a Directors meeting, the last Wednesday of the month with your application. They review it and ask you a couple of questions like why do you want to be a member of MF&G, how can you help the club and if you are a member of the NRA (you need to be)? They vote (pretty much a rubber stamp if you can own firearms) to remit you to the General Membership meeting, which is the first Wednesday of the following month.

The members will vote you in (another rubber stamp) at which time you pay your dues and building "tax".

The club has two ranges can be busy on the weekends.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Smiles,

I assume you mean Braintree tonight, right? That's where I'll be. Red shirt, brown pants, either bald or wearing a camo hat with an eagle on the front and with my Wife at the meeting (dinner at 5:30 and meeting starts at 7PM, then I have an RO meeting afterwards). Not that many couples there. Also if you ask "who's Len", many of the folks there know who I am.

jkelly, "building tax" . . . I like that! [wink]

we checked the books. Over the entire life of CAS at MFG after expenses it brought in $780. Yes thats correct. We made more money at our first C+R shoot than your CAS money maker made in 3 years!!!!!! This was a smoke and mirrors group.
If you want to shoot CAS please do. It wont be at MFG.
I can't figure you guys out. Here you are saying basically that you don't want CAS at MFG. But the MFG section in the GOAL paper this month says there are members looking to put on several matches this year.
Well I'm not a member but did enjoy CAS there. It's curious though that with a entry fee of $15 to $20 per person (depending if you pre registered). We had at times over 60 shooters. That would be a minimum of $900 per match before expenses. Figure that over three years and five or six matches a year.....$780?
MFG is a nice little club I wish you all well in whatever you do there.

Last edited:
Indoor range update:

Concrete walls are up! Finally after many, many years of talk and no action the current President and BOD have actually started the ball rolling to create the indoor range. It's still a long way to completion and will need a ton of $$ complete, but we're moving in the right direction.

Kudos to Fred and his BOD for taking this action.

Also a hearty welcome to AbbyOakley, Scouter Rick and his Son for joining MF&G tonight. I predict that Abby will be club president in 10-15 years! [wink]

Black Powder shoot

I saw that there are several black powder shoots scheduled for 2009, the first being on May 10. I don't even have a black powder yet, but one is on my want list. Are modern in line style muzzle loaders welcome at these events?

Hi 50
I am a Mansfield resident and am just wondering if there is an expected completion date of the indoor range?

Back
Top Bottom