Marlboro, MA Gun & Knife Show Sept. 23/24, 2006

I've been told before that there are a fair number of Jewish FFLs out there and since it is Rosh Hashanah (Jewish New Year) and folks usually spend it with family and at the Synagogue, it may be that not enough dealers put reservations in for the show.

My comments are based on some feedback as to why a gun show was canceled a few years ago . . . it was also scheduled for Rosh Hashanah.

Is there a website or any online info about this show that anyone knows about?

No website as the promoter doesn't believe in such things! [rolleyes]

No online info either, other than random postings by folks like us who try to inform others . . . so nothing official.

She doesn't usually return phone calls either, so if in doubt, contact the Trade Center in Marlboro and ask them if it is still a "go" or not.

I spoke to a woman that takes reservations for tables etc this past Thursday. I was looking to reserve a table. She told me what I needed to do and where to send it. So unless she is taking reservations hoping to fill the place until the last minute, I would say the show is probably still on. (As of now)

I won't be there this time. The promoters once again chose the Jewish High Holidays for their Marlboro show (twice now in past 3 years)!

Sorry you're going to miss the show Len, but at least you have your priorities in order. L'Shanah Tovah Tikateyvu. (and please correct this statement for me if necessary. I'm fluent in Greek, but this is my first try at Hebrew)

Chris

Chris,

You did well and thank you very much. It would take my Wife to pick on the spelling . . . she has a lot more expertise in things Hebrew than I. Phonetically it is correct or very close.

Greek is very good! [grin]

One of my best friends in college is of Greek heritage and he taught me how to drink at parties without getting drunk . . . he and I were typically the only people left standing at our Saturday night parties! [wink] Most of the rest didn't remember much about the parties beyond the first 30 minutes or so.

Also Christo's is one of the best restaurants in the Brockton area with a Greek salad and Shish-Ka-Bab to die for. I remember in the late 1960s, you could order an on-tap mug of beer there for either a nickle or quarter (can't recall which) with a meal! http://www.nedine.com/Christos.htm

The Marlboro show is always a good one so enjoy it for those that attend.

What does it mean?

L'shanah tovah tikateyvu = "May you be inscribed in the Book of Life." (at least that's what I found from Google)

[Regrettably, the Hebrew School that I went to had us reading Hebrew, but NEVER explained to us WHAT we were reading (the meaning of the words). Thus, I am useless with the language. On our two trips to Israel, my Wife was able to read some of the signs, etc. Obviously her Hebrew education was a hell of a lot better than mine.]

OK a bit of the theory is that on the Jewish New Year (days of the gun show, so we are on topic [wink] ) the belief is that "it is written in the Book of Life who shall live and who shall die during the following Jewish Year". On the Day of Atonement (10 days later) aka Yom Kippur, we atone for our sins of the last year and the "Book of Life" is sealed for the new year.

So, these two holidays (3 days total in the US) are the holiest days of the year in the Jewish religion.

My company is thinking of getting a booth at this show but I was curious what the cost per both is and who is the contact person that we need to speak to? I would need a name and phone number if at all possible. If you don't want to post it her please send me a PM.

Thanks in advance,
Pete

I'm thinking of going, but I may have to bring the kids. At what age can the kids get in for cheap? (read as free)

Marlboro is $75/table (3 or more at $70 each).

NewMart Promotions Inc.
PO Box 406
Mahopac Falls, NY 10542
914-248-1000 - Ask for Carole

My experience has been that she's terrible at returning calls.

TTBOMK she has no Email and certainly no website.

I am going to be at the show (probably both days) helping out my friends at Zero Hour (I'm sure I'll find some time to shop as well [devil]). Feel free to stop by and say hello. What time are the beers at?

L'shanah tovah tikateyvu = "May you be inscribed in the Book of Life." (at least that's what I found from Google)

[Regrettably, the Hebrew School that I went to had us reading Hebrew, but NEVER explained to us WHAT we were reading (the meaning of the words). Thus, I am useless with the language. On our two trips to Israel, my Wife was able to read some of the signs, etc. Obviously her Hebrew education was a hell of a lot better than mine.]

OK a bit of the theory is that on the Jewish New Year (days of the gun show, so we are on topic [wink] ) the belief is that "it is written in the Book of Life who shall live and who shall die during the following Jewish Year". On the Day of Atonement (10 days later) aka Yom Kippur, we atone for our sins of the last year and the "Book of Life" is sealed for the new year.

So, these two holidays (3 days total in the US) are the holiest days of the year in the Jewish religion.

Strange way to learn a language. I can read fluently...and write pretty well, but I have no idea what I am reading or writing!

JWalker, that's why I didn't learn anything and just zoned out in Hebrew School. For me to "learn" something, I have to understand what I'm doing, not just parrot what I'm told. Thus, I didn't even learn to read it well, and writing it was hopeless.

Selling at the show

I have a friend that is looking to sell a couple of his rifles. I mentioned the show to him and he asked if they bought from the outside at all. I told him I wasn't sure but I'd ask here. If they do, what procedures should he follow? Thanks in advance.

He is better off selling them here in the classifieds. Some of the offers he will get may be insulting. But if he chooses to bring them to the show, tell him to make sure they are unloaded and since they are coming in from the outside he should have them covered. A sock or soft case would be best since he will be lugging them around the show. They will put zip ties on the gun at the doors when they are proving to be clear of ammo.

I am going to be at the show (probably both days) helping out my friends at Zero Hour (I'm sure I'll find some time to shop as well [devil]). Feel free to stop by and say hello. What time are the beers at?

TYPEO1313 you should sell some Northeast Shooter merchandise... I'd grab a tee-shirt from ya! "Free tee-shirt with every gun purchase.."[smile]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom