Mass antlerless tag day is here!

Got mine in zone 10. Hoping to use it this year for something other than tag soup - Missed a chipshot on a big doe last year. :(

I got mine for zone 9, although I don't know why I bother. I've never shot a doe and probably never will. Although if I really needed meat I suppose I would.

People hunt for different reasons I guess.

But let's not insenuate that guys who harvest does are somehow substandard hunters. The population of deer in mass is massive and f and g wants to reduce it especially in the eastern zones. Look at the numbers for zone 10....12,000 doe tags allocated and only 3600 applicants! Harvesting a doe is the best way a hunter can help manage the population........you remove that doe and all of her offspring from the future population model. Take a buck......you just take the buck.

I like venison......I like hunting......and the best quality meat comes from a 60-80 pound female deer. That's what I'm after.

Happy wall hanger hunting! Hope you find the antlers you are looking for.

Last edited:
I got mine for zone 9, although I don't know why I bother. I've never shot a doe and probably never will. Although if I really needed meat I suppose I would.

So you just hunt for horns?

I'd much rather feed my kids venison from a free range animal that until my arrow passed through it's lungs, it had a stress-free, healthful life, as opposed to cattle that have been pumped full of steroids and hormones and mistreated their miserable life.

Trust me, I definitely don't "need the meat", but I'll harvest as many deer as I have time to hunt. When you calculate the money it cost me hunting and not working, I could by 100x the meat from the supermarket. But it is so much more than that.

Good luck this season looking for the bucks.

So you just hunt for horns?

I'd much rather feed my kids venison from a free range animal that until my arrow passed through it's lungs, it had a stress-free, healthful life, as opposed to cattle that have been pumped full of steroids and hormones and mistreated their miserable life.

Trust me, I definitely don't "need the meat", but I'll harvest as many deer as I have time to hunt. When you calculate the money it cost me hunting and not working, I could by 100x the meat from the supermarket. But it is so much more than that.

Good luck this season looking for the bucks.

And those mid size does taste soooooo good!

People hunt for different reasons I guess.

But let's not insenuate that guys who harvest does are somehow substandard hunters. The population of deer in mass is massive and f and g wants to reduce it especially in the eastern zones. Look at the numbers for zone 10....12,000 doe tags allocated and only 3600 applicants! Harvesting a doe is the best way a hunter can help manage the population........you remove that doe and all of her offspring from the future population model. Take a buck......you just take the buck.

I like venison......I like hunting......and the best quality meat comes from a 60-80 pound female deer. That's what I'm after.

Happy wall hanger hunting! Hope you find the antlers you are looking for.

I was about to say does taste better to me. I see I'm not alone...

[party]I actually got one in zone 4 n. It's been quite a few years since I've gotten a permit. I hope by the time the season gets here, we still have deer in the area. Five have been hit within a 1 mile stretch of road here including one by me that did 4 K in damage to my truck one morning on the way into work. I'm looking forward to this season to eliminate one of these road hazards around here.

Greg

Wow. First time ever, Wifey,Son and myself. ALL SCORED zone 5.... Freezer won't be empty of bambi this year... :)

Additionally.....for you guys with teenagers remember the youth deer day is sep 30. The tag is free just have to go to the web sight and print it out. Your kid 15 - 17 is allowed a deer of either sex that day only! The youth is the only one allowed to handle the fire arm and they have to use the special tag. I printed my son's out this morning.

Additionally.....for you guys with teenagers remember the youth deer day is sep 30. The tag is free just have to go to the web sight and print it out. Your kid 15 - 17 is allowed a deer of either sex that day only! The youth is the only one allowed to handle the fire arm and they have to use the special tag. I printed my son's out this morning.

Yup picked my son, Hunter , up that yesterday along with his first license. Should be a fun year.

Got one for Zone 8. Deer are not that plentiful around here. Wont be shooting one, would rather grow the herd than use the tag. Plus im sure some local loser around here will put in for a zone 9-12 permit
then use it to shoot a doe in zone 5 or 8. Happens alot around here unfortunately.

I will say i have access to land in S CT, or northern state land. If i want to shoot a doe i would do it with the bow down there. I generally dont hunt that much for deer anymore though, would rather chase birds with the dog.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom