• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts Rifle Association - Woburn, MA

Definitely a great place with some cool people. And if you ask nice those people will let you play with their toys! [smile]

A good time was had by all. (And we were able to test all of my new (old pre-ban) mags.

I'd also like to thank the gentleman who graciously volunteered hundreds of rounds of .22 LR after we put the conversion kit on. I'm sorry I missed his name.

It was funny. There was a gentleman shooting a gorgeous model 41 with a serious target grip. Even he succumbed to the fun of the M11, asking if he could give it a try. I also got to try a very very nice 41.

Don

Just a brief comment with respect to safety. The gentleman in this video had already emptied many mags in 2 - 6 round bursts. He knew what to expect and had demonstrated that he had no trouble controlling muzzle rise. He had demonstrated excellent trigger finger and muzzle discipline. You work up to a mag dump like this. You don't run like this the first time you squeeze the trigger.
[video=youtube_share;Yj8rIBiGcyQ]http://youtu.be/Yj8rIBiGcyQ[/video]

Last edited:
Hi Don,
I saw the guy in the video Sunday but never saw you there!? I was busy with the Beretta I bought from you - which works beautifully thankyouverymuch!

I'm glad you are happy with it. Did you ever figure out what year it was made? I'm curious how distorted my sense of time has gotten as I've aged. My gut says 12 years old. But its probably older than that.

Hi all. I'm interested in joining MRA and was wondering if the indoor ranges have a minimum distance the target can be from the shooting position. Thanks, I look forward to starting the process.

They do. Its not a great club for practicing practical shooting. There are no outdoor ranges where you can shoot without some kind of table in front of you, and all ranges (outdoor and indoor) have minimum distances. Some of these rules are pointless, but many of them are to tightly control the angles at which you can fire. MRA is in a location where if one round gets "out", it could end the place. So the BOD is understandably very cautious.

Loeb - the very nice indoor range, has a minimum distance of (I may be off just a bit)

Handgun - 35 ft
rimfire rifle - 50 ft
Centerfire rifle/shotgun - 75 ft.

The 25 yard outdoor handgun range has some intermediate steps that are reasonably close.

The 50 yard outdoor range has no intermediate positions.

Hope this helps.

Don

This may help. [grin]

Massachusetts Rifle Association Range Rules

POPE MEMORIAL OUTDOOR RANGE

Hours of Operation:
• No discharge of firearms is to occur prior to 10:00 a.m. on Sundays and holidays (see Appendix A) or prior to 7:30 a.m. on all other days.
• All outdoor shooting shall cease at sunset.

Caliber:
-Air guns
-Pistols
-Rifles (.22 LR only)

Firearm Type:
-Rifles (.22 LR)
-Handguns.

Maximum capacity:
-Handguns 10 rounds
-Rifles 5 rounds

5.00. All targets must be posted on the hooks provided at the 22-foot, 35-foot, or 50-foot line.

I've Been a member for 4 years. Love it its great. Just competed in the falling steel match last Sunday. Great place!!!

You picked a busy day for a first time! Usually there's 1/3 to 1/2 that many people there and it goes a lot quicker.

Third Sunday at the same time is rifle-pins, centerfire rifle on bowling pins. It's wicked fun.

Go nail it, Mad Max. Good luck.

I know I should not be worried but I am not that great on tests. I figure I know my safety rules and basics and I have read the manual a dozen times over, highlighting, etc. I will do my best!

Going for my written test tonight.

Focus on the different safety rules on the ranges, out of 6 people taking the test when I took mine, only 1 person "failed" but he was given the opportunity to think through his wrong answers.

Most of the test is common sense, but the questions about the safety-protocol are MRA specific and not intuitive.

Chris

Focus on the different safety rules on the ranges, out of 6 people taking the test when I took mine, only 1 person "failed" but he was given the opportunity to think through his wrong answers.

Most of the test is common sense, but the questions about the safety-protocol are MRA specific and not intuitive.

Chris

Very much appreciated Chris... I had a feeling it was going to be range specific questions as to what is ok and not, etc on each individual range. Then questions about overall safety and club rules. Your post was very helpful thanks.

Chris

Same. One guy was suspended and re-taking the test, and one guy failed. Good luck Max.

very interested in joining MRA. Glad to read great comments from members, but has anyone have any bad experiences with the club?

You really do need to study for the test, but if you do study you will do fine. As stated above it is mostly common sense combined with knowledge of what you can do on each range. Pay attention to what types of firearms and ammo is allowed in each, and remember the names of each range.

As has been said, the test is a mix of general safety rules, range rules and common sense.

They're very liberal about passing the test. If you get one or two wrong, usually they'll point out your mistake and give you a chance to change it. They'd rather you learn the rules than fail the test.

Also, don't forget the upstairs range is limited to STANDARD VELOCITY .22LR and air rifles only. A lot of people miss that one.

I'm taking my test on Sunday. I never got a tour since it was busy when I turned in my papers. Will that hurt me on the test? I'm a little nervous about that.

No, just study the rules, etc and you should be good to go

Mininijer is right.

As you didn't get a tour it will help that you know each range by name as stated above.
Some questions will be range specific. They have been in the past.

Good luck.

As am I - see you there!
-Dave

Glad to meet you there Dave, sorry I jumped in front of you in line for the shooting test lol.

The written test was much simpler then I expected but yet challenging enough that if you did not read up on the rules manual you would be hard pressed to know some of the answers. As everyone stated already read the rules and just prep yourself for the test and you should do fine. I found highlighting what I found to be most important was helpful.

Also got to introduce myself to our very own member "Amazon" at the office and that made me feel at home :)
Interview on the 20th and I should be good to go.

By the way everyone that I have met involved with the club so far has been very nice and easy going.

The only dumb thing about the test is it asks you for specific rules on specific ranges. Thats not how you should operate. When you go into a range, until you've been there a while, you should read the rules. They are posted near the entrance to every range.

In my book, memorizing that is pointless.

Back
Top Bottom