• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts Rifle Association - Woburn, MA

btw, i think it's accuracy - need to get something like 20 shots on paper out of 25 or 30 with revolver, pistol, and rifle

I don't remember if they had a bogie accuracy number. Just keep most of your shots on paper. I am a member but i am not a part of the safety or membership committee, but I would guess they are also looking for safe and responsible gun handling. So don't go in there gangsta style, shoot sideways, or Look down the barrel if it misfires. Demonstrate the three safe handling commandments.

No need to wonder. Just ask them. They don't bite!

They tell you how many they want on the paper, You do 10 shots in each type of firearm, 30 total, think they want 25 on the paper!

Do they have everyone there watching you, or is it one at a time? Seems like 25/30, which is about 83%, is kind of intimidating if you're a new shooter trying to join a club so you can have a place to get practice time in.

I can see not shooting the ceiling or floor and handling the firearms safely is a must, just don't get they would be so strict on some arbitrary accuracy number.

I can only make it around 11:00 or 12:00. Must one be there for the whole day to get the credit for it, or does it still count if one puts three or four hours in?

Maybe someone who has been around longer or a BOD could chime in?

My guess (only my second year) is that you would be gtg with 3-4hrs. No one is keeping track other than than at sign-in -- It's on the honor system and all help is appreciated.

Do they have everyone there watching you, or is it one at a time? Seems like 25/30, which is about 83%, is kind of intimidating if you're a new shooter trying to join a club so you can have a place to get practice time in.

I can see not shooting the ceiling or floor and handling the firearms safely is a must, just don't get they would be so strict on some arbitrary accuracy number.

You guys are really sweating the shooting tests, it's nothing. Shots on paper, that's it. When I took the test years ago it was with the in house Ruger Mark III (i believe). All they want to see is that your on paper and won't be destroying the baffles and hangers, which people seemingly do regardless, costing the club a ton of money. When I did it, it was in the Loeb range, along with about 10 other people. Each of us took our turn.

You'll do fine, don't sweat it.

Which ranges can you shoot rifles/AR's on? I know there's a wait to qualify on Summa range.

Do any of the ranges have benches you can shoot from?

Which ranges can you shoot rifles/AR's on? I know there's a wait to qualify on Summa range.

Do any of the ranges have benches you can shoot from?

Read the range book. It's all depend on what caliber your rifle/AR chamber. For 22lr, you can shoot on all ranges. For 50bmg, you will be out of luck.

Sent it from iPhone 5 LTE

You shoot paper in the inside range (LOEB), they put it at the minimum distance (first baffle), about 25 feet. When I did it, then just grabbed 2 open lanes (so other people are typically in there shooting), there were 5 of us that passed written, so they did 2 at a time while everyone else watched. It is a little intimidating if you haven't used the particular type of firearm, but they don't expect you to know, they show you how it works and how to load it etc. I think everything I used was Ruger, 10/22, Mark III automatic and a Ruger revolver (all 22 cal). Not sure if they do it on purpose or not but I got 3 or 4 duds, so know what to do when you get a dud in case it happens to you.

It really isn't that hard, take your time, they won't rush you and just want to make sure you are safe, just don't do anything stupid and you will be fine - ask if you are not sure what to do.

Good Luck!

this may be a stupid question but I was thinking of shooting my Mosin sometime next week I have some surplus ammo from a spam can for it is that ammo ok to use there?

this may be a stupid question but I was thinking of shooting my Mosin sometime next week I have some surplus ammo from a spam can for it is that ammo ok to use there?

Yes sir. It's ok to use. No mosin fun @ Pope & Fazio, but good for Loeb, McLaughlin & Summa.

Just don't shoot your eyes out. It will make a nice boom.

Sent it from iPhone 5 LTE

You shoot paper in the inside range (LOEB), they put it at the minimum distance (first baffle), about 25 feet. When I did it, then just grabbed 2 open lanes (so other people are typically in there shooting), there were 5 of us that passed written, so they did 2 at a time while everyone else watched. It is a little intimidating if you haven't used the particular type of firearm, but they don't expect you to know, they show you how it works and how to load it etc. I think everything I used was Ruger, 10/22, Mark III automatic and a Ruger revolver (all 22 cal). Not sure if they do it on purpose or not but I got 3 or 4 duds, so know what to do when you get a dud in case it happens to you.

It really isn't that hard, take your time, they won't rush you and just want to make sure you are safe, just don't do anything stupid and you will be fine - ask if you are not sure what to do.

Good Luck!

It never occurred to me that they might plan a couple duds on purpose to see that you handle a failure properly. I seem to remember that I had one or two also. Very sneaky! [grin]

I went shooting today for the first time at MRA on the Loeb and someone was kind enough to tell me that when shooting a center fire rifle I needed to have the target all the way down range. I just checked the range rules and didn't see anything mentioning this? Was the person who told me that correct? Does it apply to center fire handguns as well?

Also, is there a benefit to putting cardboard behind your target? I noticed that everyone was doing that.

I went shooting today for the first time at MRA on the Loeb and someone was kind enough to tell me that when shooting a center fire rifle I needed to have the target all the way down range. I just checked the range rules and didn't see anything mentioning this? Was the person who told me that correct? Does it apply to center fire handguns as well?

Also, is there a benefit to putting cardboard behind your target? I noticed that everyone was doing that.

Yes, he is correct...put your target all the way down range for CF rifles...the benefit of using cardboard backing is the target won't be susceptible to movement from the air flow of the ventilation system.

I believe this is posted on the range rules sign on the wall in the range near the clock.

The cardboard also helps to avoid hitting the carriers.

Ok, so I know club rules only say NRA/MRA approved targets can get used....but what about standard AR 25yd sighting targets? Is it ok to use these at Loeb?

Back
Top Bottom