"mildly corrosive"

milktree

NES Member
I picked up a crate of 7.62x39 brass cased "METAK" ammo at the gun show in Marlboro today. When I got home it occurred to me that I had no idea if it was corrosive or not.

Some googling suggested that it's "mildly corrosive" (that phrase showed up a bunch of times)

What does that mean?

Does it mean "you can wait a day before cleaning, but not three days", or "you can wait until you get home, but not a day", or does it mean, "don't worry about it, clean it like regular ammo" ?

I'm guessing it's not #3, but I have no idea if it's #1 or #2, or something else.

In retrospect I probably should have paid a bit more for the steel cased non-corrosive stuff.

Mildly corrosive is like saying shes a little pregnant.

Its still ammo that requires the same cleanup with water based cleaner no matter what. The primers are the corrosive part of the round but they can do just as much damage if left to sit as a round loaded with corrosive powder too.

Its good ammo, just corrosive

Its the best 7.62x39 milsurp ammo ever imported bar none, but it is corrosive so clean accordingly....like before you leave the range so you don't blow it off or forget and ruin a gun in the process.

There is no such thing as "mildly corrosive", thats just another deceptive marketing gimmick that someone dreamed up to bring the fence sitters into the fold to use corrosive ammo in guns that they would otherwise never consider using it in.
The fact that the phrase showed up a bunch of times is the embodiment of Joseph Goebbels' philosophy that "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it."
Don't believe it and clean your guns after shooting Yugo ammo.

Keep in mind that the ammo isn't corrosive itself. The deposits left in the barrel by the primer is a type of salt. When the barrel cools, that salt will attract moisture which will then start the rusting process.

I keep a .30 cal bore snake soaked in Hoppes 9 within a ziplock in my range bag. When I shoot the Mosin, I just run the bore snake down the barrel a couple of times before I put it away.

Hoppes was designed to clean the corrosive salts among other stuff.

Dear Massgun:I am responding to this as I do not feel you got a informative reply to your question and concerns.I am old school so to me all ammunition is corrosive, anything that leaves any residue in the barrel can accelerate rust, and just fyi I use Yugo ammo as my first choice. As any battle trained military person after firing clean your firearm. Yes hot water and soap work great Use whatever ammo you can find, clean your firearm before storage. If you have not used up this ammunition or did not sell it please consider selling any leftovers to me. The supply of the Yugo ammo is gone at least here in Alaska and I would dearly love to have at least another 1200 rounds. As per the oter post no such thing as mildly, if you treat all ammo as currosive you will never have any problemThanks in advanceRalph Sterling

Back
Top Bottom