• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Military Arms (e.g. M1 and 1911) 2-gun match: May 29, 2011

i'm trying to coax one of my friends to come to the shoot with me but i only have enough garand ammo for one shooter. does anyone have any extra they wouldn't mind trading for greenbacks? he still hasn't given me the yes or no so i may or may not need to purchase it off of you. PM me if you do. thanks.

When you receive the entry form, you will notice that Harvard apparently has some .30-06 they are willing to sell to participants. Limited amounts.

i'm trying to coax one of my friends to come to the shoot with me but i only have enough garand ammo for one shooter. does anyone have any extra they wouldn't mind trading for greenbacks? he still hasn't given me the yes or no so i may or may not need to purchase it off of you. PM me if you do. thanks.

One of the other shooters has ammo and was offering it for sale at the match. I am in the process of getting verification on his offer and what the cost will be. Stay tuned and I should have an answer back soon and I will PM.
thanks

wonder if a semiauto 1927 thompson in military configuration with 50 round drum would count as both rifle and pistol :D

Sounds like a blast, too bad will be away that weekend.

"Dwarven1" has it right, too bad you can't be there and while the Tommy would be welcome it would as a rifle (good luck with 65 yard shots or a half target!) but you would still need a pistol, taking the stock off may be a bit of an issue dont you think?

I hope there is enough interest to do this again and that you could make it then.

Yup. M-1 Garand & 1911. Alas, the 1911 will either be a modern S&W or it's going to speak English with an Argentine accent. [laugh] Unless I can get my buddy up from NJ with his new Remington-Rand, that is...

Depending on what MARS says, I'll either be sharing the Garand with my shootin' buddy or loaning her a Lee-Enfield. (Hey, they WERE our Allies...) But he hasn't said specifically yea or nay on the Enfield. My M1 Carbine is not reliable right now and needs the TLC of a good smith.

Although... after reading the packet, Adam, I don't think he's going to want you to use Ma Deuce, either. Somehow, I think that when folks have steel plate targets they want to use them more than once... and anything in .50 would turn a steel plate into Swiss cheese.

I'd think it's a "rifle" only. Shame you won't be there; it'd be GREAT to see it.

loaner is fine- sharing is also caring.

You want to hump the thing around? I am going to say for safety reasons- lets pass on that one. HSC does have a few .50 fans so...if you arent a member there do coonsider joining and enjoy all the ranges.

Oh he wasn't going to carry it, we were going to mount it in the back of a jeep. I drive while he shoots. [smile]

J/k. We aren't quite that eccentric. When our enty forms arrive you will have proof that he is playing this very conventional and will be bringing the garand.

Oh he wasn't going to carry it, we were going to mount it in the back of a jeep. I drive while he shoots. [smile]

J/k. We aren't quite that eccentric.
Nicole, if it makes you feel better, my wife and I are working a plan to rebuild a WWII HD complete with Thompson scabbard (and Thompson of course) for her and a Willy's Jeep with mounted .30cal for me! [smile][smile]

J/k. We aren't quite that eccentric. When our enty forms arrive you will have proof that he is playing this very conventional and will be bringing the garand.
A number of years back, I was at a machine gun shoot in NH. Some fellow had a pickup version of an H1, with a pintle mount in back, and an M1919 on it. Very cool. Though, admittedly, a Ma Deuce would have been cooler.

A number of years back, I was at a machine gun shoot in NH. Some fellow had a pickup version of an H1, with a pintle mount in back, and an M1919 on it. Very cool. Though, admittedly, a Ma Deuce would have been cooler.

That is very cool. I would totally mount the twins on a vehicle, but it won't be happening with the current trucks in the garage. What i really want is the diilon suv. [smile]

That is very cool. I would totally mount the twins on a vehicle, but it won't be happening with the current trucks in the garage. What i really want is the diilon suv. [smile]

I've always had a soft spot for one of these:

15.jpg

Not as stealthy as a Dillon, of course.

I need to send WildWeasel this thread. IIRC, his jeep (WWII vintage, restored to pristine condition) has a 1919 mount. I think his is semi auto, though.

Any concerns over the round count? I am planning somewhere around 50-60 rounds for each weapon...feeling some pressures in both direction higher and lower. The idea is to give the guns and shooter a good time! but, I feel the pain of the ammo cost just like everyone else. It should also be worth the time and effort to come to the match after all.

Looking for some thoughts- and maybe I'll even listen! Only kidding, of course I'll listen.

The more rounds the better. If we are going to come out then lets shoot!

If you can't afford 75-100 rifle rounds then you can't afford 50 IMO. As with our typical monthly matches, something along the lines of 150 rounds would be a decent count. Don't you think?

Last edited:
The more round the better. If we are going to come out then lets shoot!

If you can't afford 75-100 rifle rounds then you can't afford 50 IMO. As with our typical monthly matches, something along the lines of 150 rounds would be a decent count. Don't you think?

Matt,
Don't forget that most of the rifles to be used will be M1 Garands!

I have to agree with Matt. To take an entire day and shoot less than 100 rounds is tough to stomach. It's not like these matches come every week. If I'm going to burn a green-stamp with my wife, I want to pull the trigger a lot.

For a point of reference, the last USPSA rifle match I shot (with my Garand, BTW) was 54 rounds just on the first Stage.

Last edited:
Matt,
Don't forget that most of the rifles to be used will be M1 Garands!

I understand... I was going to shoot mine then decided my '43 Carbine has been sitting too long! That ammo isn't cheap any more either. But really... I think the extra 20 rounds out of the rifle would make the match feel more substantial and be worth the extra 20 or so bucks.

Perhaps another option would be to pump up the pistol rounds and keep the rifle round count a bit lower.

Ira wanted some opinions on round count so I offered my thoughts up. I'll shoot whatever stages are put in front of me with a big smile as you know! [wink]

I think I may need to dig out my old helmet for this one... [shocked]

Leave the bayonet at home but if you want to be as ahhh, cool as some of the others, sure bring a helmet. There will be a grenade to toss (just not one that goes boom- too bad).

so, the more rounds the better! well lets just go with a happy medium for this one and see if the interest grows.

I

I'd be just as happy to not empty the ammo can - 50-60 rounds sounds fine to me.

Leave the bayonet at home but if you want to be as ahhh, cool as some of the others, sure bring a helmet.

Oh, darn... and I have the correct bayonet for my M1, too. Just as well, I guess... otherwise I'd have to go spend $100 for the bayonet for the SMLE my shootin' buddy is using.

Back
Top Bottom