MilSurp of the month for March, 2014: Unusual Curio or Relic. VOTES TOTALED

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
The MilSurp of the month for March is Unusual Curio/Relic.

Rules:

1. Any MilSurp/C&R/period Curio or Relic.
2. Limit of three entries per person.
3. Up to four pictures per entry with brief information; cost, significance, etc.
4. If multiple entries, please put in title (go advanced) "Entry #2", etc.
5. Entries close Friday March 28; voting ends Monday March 31.
6. Chit chat/comments/reps allowed - this is supposed to be fun - we all like to show off

Entry#

1. Maninblue1861: Type99 Japanese Arisaka in the original GI shipping crate
3+3+3+3 = 12

2. majspud: 1941 Sir Jeffrey Hillspig-Smyth Burmese Army Trekking Stick

3. martin08#1: Vietnam bringback Type-63 North Korean SKS, retrofitted with a field constructed grenade launcher
2+3+2 = 5

4. martin08#2: Vietnam bring back collection; damaged SKS, papers, short time stick

5. NinerMaine: 1930's German Lignose Model 2A in 6.35 Browning

6. majspud#2: 1917 marked Saxon Depot repair of a 1916 Danzig Gew98

7. Ben Cartwright SASS: Bring back Japanese pencil case from Iwo Jima
2+1+ = 5

8. 55_grain: WWII Japanese Government Messenger Armband

9. majspud#3: 1939 M35 Air Force Beretta North Africa Bring Back with capture papers

10. TFLeader: Springfield Armory produced 1880 Hunting Knife
1+ = 3

11. ranger4-7: Swedish M45 (Swedish K).
2+3 = 3

12. NinerMaine#2: Blue Jacket #1 in 22 short. Most likely from the 1880's and most likely by Hopkins and Allen.

13. USMA-82: Savage-Stevens Model 87M Springfield in .22LR

14. cwo4uscgret: Scandinavian Husqvuarna made Lahti 9mm pistol/Danish Police.
2+ = 2

15. dhuze: Lazy Dog Bomblets
3+3 = 2

16. Terrys: 1890 M1873 Artillery Sabre and map (family history)
1+2 = 5

17. Terrys#2: Heer discharge; Camp Berghausen in 1945 (family history)
2+ = 2

18. cwo4uscgret#2: Spanish Astra Pistol. Top to bottom is the 600 chambered in 9mm Parabellum

19. cwo4uscgret#3: Astra Model 1921 more commonly know as a Model 400 in 9mm Largo

20. cwo4uscgret#4: Astra Model 300 in 9mm Kurz, aka .380 acp.

21. kingson: Arsenal 0138 SKS with stamped receiver

22. Cpl McCaughey: Family bring back Jap T99 with stock art
1+3+1 = 7

23. USMA-82: Family photo of Grandfather In a 1920'a Equestry event at Fort Ethan Allen
2+ = 2

24. Officer Obie59: Restored M03 Springfield MK.I
3+3 = 2

25. 30MAuser: Mauser C96 "Broomhandle". Inherited from my maternal grandfather

26. nhfiat: German interwar Ortgies hammerless Pistol in .32
3+ = 1

27. NinerMaine#3: battle damaged Nambu pistol and holster
1+3 = 4

Last edited:
My WWII Jap Type 99 Short Arisaka, that was found still sealed in its original GI shipping crate that still shows jap writing of the crate wood was taken from. Was captured and shipped home by a William Wilson of Brighton MA. He was assigned to the 27th ordnance battalion (machine gunners), attached to the 1st cav. He participated at Okinawa and eventually got to Tokyo. Don't know exactly where this particular rifle was picked up, but was def surrendered, droped as has signs of battle use. Unique part was it was found as he boxed it up, and I was able to carefully remove it without damaging the box that was built around the gun, and cleaned it up to display for the beauty it is. Its a Toyo Kogyo of Hiroshima. Under the rifle, was also a Toyo Kogyo marked bayonet, but not matched to gun, also in mint excellent shape.

Last edited:
1941 Sir Jeffrey Hillspig-Smyth Burmese Army Trekking Stick

In June my father and stepmother moved, downsizing in the face of my father's age and declining health. Part of the downsizing was giving us kids and relations a lot of stuff and junking the rest. I snatched this cane from the junk pile as I need one on occasion when my back goes out of whack, and I was sick of my aluminum hospital style one. Also it's a little reminder of my father who passed this past January.

I didn't know what it was until my finger brushed a metal plaque nailed to the wood. I hadn't seen the plaque as I'm color blind and it had tarnished into camouflage. Turns out the cane is a "1941 Sir Jeffrey Hillspig-Smyth Burmese Army Trekking Stick".

Interesting read: http://www.camping-gear-outlet.com/...ig-smyth-and-the-burmese-army-trekking-stick/

The sticks, which are 36 inches long and constructed from baby bamboo, were apparently invented by a certain Sir. Jeffrey Hillpig-Symth, who was stationed in the British Special Forces in Mandalay around 1941.

A Brief Sketch of Sir Jeffrey Hillpig-Smyth

–Born London, 1910.

–As a schoolboy-overweight, few friends, poor student, non-athletic yet polite, called “Hillpiggy” by the staff.

–Sent down from Oxford for indecency, 1930.

–Unsuccessfully stood for parliament as an independent for the small constituency of Looting on the Thames, finished fourth in a field of three, 1934.

–Alcoholic, 1935.

–Published at his own expense an angry and spirited collection of short essays, entitled, Sticks and Stones, 1937.

–Alcoholic again, 1937.

–Published a second collection of short essays entitled, Mudpuddles and Other Outrages, 1938

–Joined British agency of Military Intelligence and Engineering, 1939

–Assigned to British Special Forces, Mandalay, British East India (Burma), 1940

–Recovering from a minor fall, designed the Military Trekking Stick, 1941.

–Disappeared while on a morning mini-trek within the Special Forces compound. A party was organized and diligently combed the 3-acre area for 3 hours to no avail, 1944.

–Queen Elizabeth II knighted Hillpig-Smythe in absentia, for contributions to the British War Protocol, 1953.

–Unofficially, over the years there have been periodic sightings of Hillpiggy in the Burmese jungle. The latest, as recent as the last monsoon, has Hillpiggy on elephant leading a small group of well-disciplined guerrillas near Kuhn Sa’s stronghold at Nam King.

–Further information is available by writing:

Find the Hillpig Society

8/1 Arak Road Soi 7

Chiang Mai, Thailand.

–The reward of 25 Pounds Sterling for information confirming Hillpiggy’s status remains in effect.

Though the carbine itself is quite rare, only 43 recorded in the US, it is the accessory that is unusual.

Consider this Vietnam bringback Type-63 North Korean SKS, retrofitted with a field constructed grenade launcher.

type-63_001.JPG

type-63_009.JPG

The grenade launcher itself is a hybrid of two US designs. The spigot is M8 launcher model, made for the M1 .30cal carbine. The attachment clamp is taken from the M1 launcher model, designed for the M1903 Springfield (may also be the M2, for the M1917 Eddystone). The front sight slot was widened for application with the SKS. The two pieces are crudely welded together and ground down. Though this particular launcher is not perfectly aligned with the bore, the fit is absolutely snug to the gun. Other launchers have been documented, but this or other hybrid styles are most commonly reported. The M15 launcher sight is utilized for this function.

NK_Launcher_006.JPG

type-63_003.JPG

Entry #2

Another Vietnam bringback, an uncommon Russian SKS. It has a 'chunk' missing from the right side stock.

russian_bringback_012.jpg

1russian_bringback_024.jpg

The gun was accompanied by a plethora of the Veteran Officer's personal affects, including West Point acceptance and graduation, Infantry School certificate, copy of the Silver Star presentation, plaque of appreciation from the men of his company, period photos of awards acceptance, and most interestingly, a 'Short Timer's Stick' which was typically presented within 45 days of the end of a tour. This is a stick that was locally carved in Vietnam, and has some artistic intricacy.

russian_bringback_046.jpg

russian_bringback_047.jpg

russian_bringback_048.jpg

Last edited:
A one handed semi-auto pistol. This is a Lignose Model 2A, made in Germany sometime in the 1930's. It is in 25 ACP (6.35 Browning).

What is unique about it is the design. The slide can be racked backwards with the same hand that is holding the gun. The front of the trigger guard is grabbed with the trigger finger and pulled backwards which actuates the slide.

In German it was called the "Einhandpistole", which I believe means one handed pistol. More info can be found here:
http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/Lignose3/lignose3.html

DSCF2078.JPG DSCF2080.JPG

majspud#2

Marked Saxon Depot repair of a late 1916 (1788 cc-block) Danzig Gew98. This rifle evidently suffered fatal butt stock damage in 1917 as the entire matching action was dropped into a self matching Sterngeweher two piece style stock (serial 4936 on butt plate, stock channel, and bayonet lug), save hand guard (which matches neither). Butt plate is depot marked Crown FA (Depot)/(19)17 with Crown B (Saxon) proof. This is the one that Sweeney rebuilt the original matching firing pin for me.

T.

Last edited:
For your consideration: a WWII Japanese Government Messenger Armband.

It's a souvenir brought home by my late FIL, who spent WWII as a staff sergeant in fun Pacific island vacation spots, including the Philippines where he picked this up. Used to tell me about shooting at Jap planes with his M1 carbine every evening when they came to bomb the runway.

Basically the main two kanji say: Official Business. The upper line states official business proof #8 (probably pointing to a series of armbands available to the unit). The bottom line gives the unit designation: Code kanji: Tetsu #5447 unit. This unit number is for the 63rd Infantry Regiment, 10th Division, last located on the Philippines. A couple of interesting things to note on the armband: The usage of Arabic numerals for the unit code, not often seen on Japanese items. Also, the unit's seal stamp is present in the middle of the unit designation (note Japanese kanji numerals within the seal).

Thanks for looking!

Marked Saxon Depot repair of a late 1916 (1788 cc-block) Danzig Gew98. This rifle evidently suffered fatal butt stock damage in 1917 as the entire matching action was dropped into a self matching Sterngeweher two piece style stock (serial 4936 on butt plate, stock channel, and bayonet lug), save hand guard (which matches neither). Butt plate is depot marked Crown FA (Depot)/(19)17 with Crown B (Saxon) proof. This is the one that Sweeney rebuilt the original matching firing pin for me.

Tim, have you fired this with the repaired FP? I took mine out last week...fun fun! My repaired FP works well.

Some great curios here, everyone. I love the guns, but some of the other militaria are even more interesting.

Tim, have you fired this with the repaired FP? I took mine out last week...fun fun! My repaired FP works well.

Not yet; we've been filling a dumpster, then a pod, and packing for our move on the 22nd. It's also too damn cold right now. It's in the top 3 that will go to the range when I've time.

T.

Not yet; we've been filling a dumpster, then a pod, and packing for our move on the 22nd. It's also too damn cold right now. It's in the top 3 that will go to the range when I've time.

T.

Cool. Please report back when you get a chance to fire it. Cheers!

majspud#3 1939 M35 Air Force Beretta north Africa Bring Back with capture papers

Technical Sergent James F. Ham, Company C, 310th Engineer Battalion, bring back WWII trophy: a 1939 M35 Air Force Beretta taken in North Africa with his capture papers. This is also my carry piece.

T.

Last edited:
SA 1880 Hunting Knife

Springfield Armory produced 1880 Hunting Knife, later referred to as 1890 Intrenching Knife, only difference being the imprint being changed from "U.S. Springfield" to "Springfield Armory".

DSCN4037.jpg

DSCN4045.jpg

12,000 of these knives were made between 1881 and 1893

Transferable Swedish M45 (Swedish K). These were a popular choice with the men of the Studies and Observation Group (SOG) in Vietnam. Often paired with a Browning High Power, the Swedish K provided a compact package that puts out a decent amount of fire, in a very controllable manner. An adequate choice for close-in engagements, where your primary objective is to suppress the enemy, while breaking contact. With the advent of the XM177, the Swedish K gradually fell out of large scale use, as most would prefer the 5.56MM round over the 9mm.

Thanks for looking,

Chris

SwedishK_zps70821e85.jpg

Very nice collection of period equipment! Would you mind listing the items in the photo?

Transferable Swedish M45 (Swedish K). These were a popular choice with the men of the Studies and Observation Group (SOG) in Vietnam. Often paired with a Browning High Power, the Swedish K provided a compact package that puts out a decent amount of fire, in a very controllable manner. An adequate choice for close-in engagements, where your primary objective is to suppress the enemy, while breaking contact. With the advent of the XM177, the Swedish K gradually fell out of large scale use, as most would prefer the 5.56MM round over the 9mm.

Thanks for looking,

Chris

SwedishK_zps70821e85.jpg

Very nice collection of period equipment! Would you mind listing the items in the photo?

Not at all. Starting at the top left is a Gold Pattern (advisor Sparse) Tiger Stripe boonie. I've always loved TS as a cammo pattern and got a pair of gold tiger striped pants in high school (back in the late 70's), that I wore all the time.

The boonie is sitting on a AN/PRC-25 radio (precurser to the AN/PRC-77). The basic difference between the two radios was that the 77 eliminated the used of vacum tubes and went to all solid state components.

In front to the PRC-25 is a 1961 vintage Browning High Power.

On top of the ammo crate is an ARVN (Army of Republic of Viet Nam) ruck sack. It is a fairly small cotton pack that was used by some SOG and Recon men, as is was preferred over the M1956 buttpack (very little carrying capability) ot the framed Tropical Rucksack.

Attached to it is an inert (already used) M18 smoke grenade, commonly used to mark Land Zones.

The boots are Third Pattern jungles, having the Vibram soles (as opposed the Fourth Pattern, which adopted the Panama sole), and the canvas reenforcing strip that runs from the heel to the leather lacing strip.

Thanks,
Chris

Very nice!

Not at all. Starting at the top left is a Gold Pattern (advisor Sparse) Tiger Stripe boonie. I've always loved TS as a cammo pattern and got a pair of gold tiger striped pants in high school (back in the late 70's), that I wore all the time.

The boonie is sitting on a AN/PRC-25 radio (precurser to the AN/PRC-77). The basic difference between the two radios was that the 77 eliminated the used of vacum tubes and went to all solid state components.

In front to the PRC-25 is a 1961 vintage Browning High Power.

On top of the ammo crate is an ARVN (Army of Republic of Viet Nam) ruck sack. It is a fairly small cotton pack that was used by some SOG and Recon men, as is was preferred over the M1956 buttpack (very little carrying capability) ot the framed Tropical Rucksack.

Attached to it is an inert (already used) M18 smoke grenade, commonly used to mark Land Zones.

The boots are Third Pattern jungles, having the Vibram soles (as opposed the Fourth Pattern, which adopted the Panama sole), and the canvas reenforcing strip that runs from the heel to the leather lacing strip.

Thanks,
Chris

DSCF1812.JPG DSCF1811.JPG
One of my strangest and my most dangerous, for the shooter that is. An old Blue Jacket #1 in 22 short. It still works as well. :) Yes... I just had to.

Most likely from the 1880's and most likely by Hopkins and Allen.

USMA-82 Entry #1

Savage-Stevens Model 87M Springfield

This is a .22LR rifle I found on the auction boards some years ago. Supposedly, it was part of a prototype 1940 production of about 300 rifles, designed to look like the M-1 Garand. The manufacturer was hoping to cash in on the popularity of the M-1, but it was too pricey to build, and never gained ground in the market.

Contrary to rumor, it was never designed to be a military "trainer." However, due to its scarcity, it has been pulling in some high prices from collectors.

For a while it was also sold by Sears as the "Ranger." Examples like mine in the original configuration are hard to find, with some reportedly being sold in the $1000 (+) range.

It definitely draws some interest on the range!

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Though the carbine itself is quite rare, only 43 recorded in the US, it is the accessory that is unusual.

Consider this Vietnam bringback Type-63 North Korean SKS, retrofitted with a field constructed grenade launcher.

type-63_001.JPG

type-63_009.JPG

The grenade launcher itself is a hybrid of two US designs. The spigot is M8 launcher model, made for the M1 .30cal carbine. The attachment clamp is taken from the M1 launcher model, designed for the M1903 Springfield (may also be the M2, for the M1917 Eddystone). The front sight slot was widened for application with the SKS. The two pieces are crudely welded together and ground down. Though this particular launcher is not perfectly aligned with the bore, the fit is absolutely snug to the gun. Other launchers have been documented, but this or other hybrid styles are most commonly reported. The M15 launcher sight is utilized for this function.

NK_Launcher_006.JPG

type-63_003.JPG

Beautiful. You win.

Back
Top Bottom