• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Missing 411

In any case, I think this is a pretty new, and somewhat likely perspective on the Maura Murray case. If this is, in fact, what happened, it doesn't bother me as much anymore. I had researched this case for years, and it really bothered me. But, if this is, in fact, what happened, I actually think Maura did the right thing, and I kind of feel like I shouldn't pry into her personal affairs and leave well enough alone.

NES can solve any mystery.

I have been following this story since Maura went missing.
I think I remember early in the investigation that she was late with a lot of her school work and assignments, but that is not mentioned in these news updates. Am I remembering correctly?

Maura's parents were separated or divorced iirc. Maura was living with her mother but did not get along with her iirc.

Looks like she had a mountain of sh!t piling up and no support system. Also possibly not enough financial support given the credit card thing.

Last edited:
I think she just snapped, but she was smart enough to snap in a really intellegent way that allowed her to land on her feet in a new life.

Like they say in Shawshank Redemption, He crawled through a mile of shit and came out clean on the other side.

I think the theory that she is still alive and living in Quebec is quite plausible. But there's still a chance that she was murdered.

They should try to do some forensic digital analysis on that GeoCities post. Figure out the IP Address and where it came from.

I was just curious, where was Maura living at UMass. What dorm area? SouthWest, NorthEast, Central?

Did she have a roomate? It sounded like Karen Mayotte didn't know if she had a roomate. I know a lot of dorm monitors got their own private room. I thought I had read that she had a private room. Not sure though.

I had actually never head of GeoCities. Here is a write-up about it on wikipedia:

I wonder if her post can be found on the wayback machine.

I see this thing which might be an archive of GeoCities posts:

Actually, here we go:

Advocate4 wrote:

3-1-06

Kmayotte posted:

I first wanted to thank Sharon for responding to Pike's comments regarding the supervisor who spoke to Maura the last night of work. I am the supervisor, as well as Maura's good friend, and that night will not leave my mind. Please do not assume that I did not help Maura, because reading the recent post was upsetting. I love Maura, and I did everything in my power to help her. I held her as she was crying, I walked her back to her room, I gave her my cell phone so I could bring her to Dunkin Donuts in the morning. Previous to that I had begged to bring her to a campus counselor, or just out to Dunkins that night when she got out of shift. She told me that she was okay, and that she would be going home to a roommate (which I never realized beforehand that she had a single room). After Maura headed up to her room I did call my boss, telling him of the situation and that I did not like leaving her in such a condition. I was unable to go up to her dorm room because my walkie talkie gear would of not gotten a signal in the tower that she lives in.

Pike also wondered why I did not call her parents...I do not have access to her personal information, and I was only friends with her on a work-related atmosphere. The next morning I woke up ready to take Maura to Dunkins, however I could not get in contact with her and I had a five year old son at home with a flu.

I hope this post allows people to realize I did the most I could for my friend. I love Maura, and it is relieving to read up on all the posts of caring friends and family.

So she says, "my walkie talkie gear would not gotten a signal in the tower that she lives in" so that means she lived in SouthWest. Ugh, worse place to live on campus. Yuck.

So this James Renner guy created this website. On the website he has this:

Submit a Tip​

New Hampshire Cold Case Unit: [email protected]
James Renner: [email protected]

Is he a cop? Or is he a detective with the state of NH?

He's got something called the Porch Light Project:

He also wrote a book:

As seen on the Oxygen mini-series The Disappearance of Maura Murray

When an eleven-year-old James Renner fell in love with Amy Mihaljevic, the missing girl seen on posters all over his neighborhood, it was the beginning of a lifelong obsession with true crime. That obsession led James to a successful career as an investigative journalist. It also gave him PTSD. In 2011, James began researching the strange disappearance of Maura Murray, a UMass student who went missing after wrecking her car in rural New Hampshire in 2004. Over the course of his investigation, he uncovers numerous important and shocking new clues about what may have happened to Maura, but also finds himself in increasingly dangerous situations with little regard for his own well-being. As his quest to find Maura deepens, the case starts taking a toll on his personal life, which begins to spiral out of control. The result is an absorbing dual investigation of a complicated case that has eluded authorities for more than a decade and a journalist’s own complicated true-crime addiction.

He also gives an interview:

He has a wikipedia page.

In January 2011, Renner announced his plans to delve into the disappearance of Maura Murray, a nursing student who went missing after a car accident in Haverhill, New Hampshire.[8] He maintains a blog about his investigation into her disappearance called My Search for Maura Murray.[9] His book on the case, True Crime Addict, was published in May 2016.[10]

Following the release of True Crime Addict, Renner archived his blog.[11] In June 2017, Universal TV purchased the rights to create a television show based on True Crime Addict. The show, written by Richard Price, is being produced by Johnny Depp.[12]

Around 1:08 in the interview, he talks about some secret organization called 12 Tribes where you change your name when you join. It's a cult in NH that is off-grid.
What?!

Around 1:08 in the interview, he talks about some secret organization called 12 Tribes where you change your name when you join. It's a cult in NH that is off-grid.
What?!

Maybe I should listen to it. I know someone who grew up in the 12 Tribes. They keep a super low profile but are constantly recruiting new members. You could absolutely vanish within the 12 Tribes. 12 Tribes is not just in NH, it's all over the US. Also in France according to my friend.

The Yellow Deli in Rutland, Vermont is a 12 Tribes operation. All the staff members are unpaid members of the 12 Tribes.

My friend participated in building the Peacemaker. Quite a project.

peacemaker-12-tribes.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe I should listen to it. I know someone who grew up in the 12 Tribes. They keep a super low profile but are constantly recruiting new members. You could absolutely vanish within the 12 Tribes. 12 Tribes is not just in NH, it's all over the US. Also in France according to my friend.

The Yellow Deli in Rutland, Vermont is a 12 Tribes operation. All the staff members are unpaid members of the 12 Tribes.

peacemaker-12-tribes.jpg

Weird.

I was wondering if maybe Bill Rausch wrote the note on GeoCities. He would have insider information. Maybe he wanted to put out a conspiracy theory about Maura still being alive to throw the trail off of him.

Sounds like Bill's alibi is air-tight:

They track down his commanding officer and ask him if he granted leave and he said that he did. So he must have been at the base when Maura disappeared.

In Murder 101, all murderers learn that they need to have a water tight alibi. I'm sure Bill was not naive to this fact. Just speculating here, but perhaps Bill found out that Maura was cheating on him. He doesn't seem to be the type to let something like this go lightly. If I remember correctly, there was a break-up note that Maura wrote to Bill that was uncovered in her dorm. Clearly there was some trouble in their relationship. Bill probably had very strong feelings for Maura, and he felt incredibly insulted when he found out that Maura was cheating on him.

Bill knows that if something happens to Maura, it needs to be documented that he is somewhere else. The base is the perfect place to be because there are lots of people there who are witnessing your physical presence. The base was in Oklahoma if I remember correctly, which if half way across the country. Also, his commanding officer has to make an official document for your request to leave. It's an ironclad place to have an alibi.

So perhaps Bill hired a professional to kidnap Maura. He would be in Oklahoma when it happened, so nothing could be blamed on him. Maybe the hired hand followed Maura up to NH, and right after she got in the car accident, he pulled up behind her and offered her a ride.

Just stumbled upon this. Apparently someone from NH called Maura the night she went missing. That might prove the tandem driver theory:

5. During the course of this investigation, Cellular Telephone records have been obtained by Law Enforcement that were used by MURRAY. A representative from Sprint Corporate Security advised this affiant that during the late afternoon hours of February 9, 2004an outgoing telephone call was made to Murray from the Londonderry, NH Sprint tower. This call had to have been made from within a 22 mile radius of the tower. The identity of this caller and telephone number has not been made as of this date.

6. That identifying the caller of the telephone call could be pertinent to the ongoing investigation and may lead to the whereabouts of Maura Murray.

7. Based on the foregoing, there is probable cause to believe evidence in the suspicious disappearance of Maura Murray may be found through Sprint Wireless Cell Tower Telephone Records, including any outgoing calls from the Londonderry tower of Sprint to Maura Murrays Sprint PCs number ********** for February 9, 2004 from 0001 hours to 2400 hours.

Todd D. Landry

peacemaker-12-tribes.jpg

I wonder if the 12 Tribes is similar to the FINDERS. I just read about them in this article. If you search on "FINDERS" you'll find the section:

I started looking into this stuff because I remember as a kid that there seemed to be A LOT of kidnappings. It seems suspiciously high. Maybe people just talked about it more because they'd put the kids on the milk cartons. But I have a couple friends who were almost kidnapped as kids. They'd lure them with candy.

I started to wonder if there was some sort of gov't involvement with this kidnapping activity. People suspect that the gov't was involved in the 60s hippie movement in an effort to transform society and they were also involved in the rise of serial killers in the 80s. There is also suspicion that they were involved in the modern art phenomenon of the 80s with crap paintings selling for millions of dollars. So why wouldn't they have had a rise in kidnapping as well. This articles seems to suggest that they might have.

There seems to be a trend with suspicious cultural phenomenons and the gov't. These things don't happen organically. The gov't is usually involved in financing and facilitating culture phenomenons to produce certain end goals, and the media is complicit in popularizing certain gov't efforts.

Last edited:
The 12 Tribes is big in Plymouth with several large prominent older homes and last I knew three business's downtown on 3a, they have a lower profile now than in the past.

Strange. Have you ever spoken to any of these folks? I wonder what their deal is.

They may be puppets to the leader and just go along with whatever the leader says. I wouldn't be surprised if the leader has ties to a gov't organization.
The 12 Tribes is big in Plymouth with several large prominent older homes and last I knew three business's downtown on 3a, they have a lower profile now than in the past.

FBI issues alert for missing UMass student Maura Murray, enters case into ViCAP database 18 years after she disappeared​

The Federal Bureau of Investigation has issued a nationwide alert on the case of Maura Murray, a University of Massachusetts Amherst student who disappeared almost 18 years ago.

Her sister, Julie Murray, tweeted a photo of the alert, which is a part of the FBI’s Violent Criminal Apprehension Program. It includes information regarding Murray’s disappearance, information about the case and a photo.

“As we approach the 18th anniversary of Maura’s disappearance, LE notified my family they were releasing an FBI ViCAP profile. The goal is for multiple agencies and jurisdictions to pool and cross reference info. Long overdue, but a positive step in finding answers #mauramurray,” the tweet sent on Sunday read.

Continues...

This case is super creepy.

I think from now on, there will be lots of internet forensic evidence to help solve crimes.
Data storage is cheap and much of it never goes away.
With personal networks of people associating with each other - people know things.

For people committing crimes or trying to prove their innocence - cell phone GPS data could be key.
Everybody has a phone nowadays.
If you sneak out of the house without it - you are suspicious.

Even if you lock your phone and computer - it's just a matter of time before investigators do a deep dive.

Back
Top Bottom