• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Missing 411

Why is it creepy?
Because she disappeared without a trace.

There is so much we don't know.

I have driven on lonely highways before. I have seen broken down cars and wondered if they will be ok.

If a predator pulled up beside her and kidnapped her - it just gives me the creeps that people could have been driving by and not even realized what was going on. Maybe a good person could have prevented this.

Maybe she wandered to that house hidden in the woods and got killed there.

She may have been killed as a crime of opportunity. Lots of times in my life vulnerable girls have dropped in my lap so to speak. I'm not a predator though so I got them help or sent them on their way. Nowadays, it's best to document it to cover yourself.

It's the not knowing that makes it so painful to think about. If this would have been solved nobody would even remember her by now.

I get the same feeling from this as Molly Bish. The lifeguard who was killed at the pond. That case has been solved some 20 years later as of last year. They got his DNA from a relative from a database. She was in a remote location and vanished.

There is also the case of that guy from Belchertown who disappeared some 10 years ago. I think they found his wallet at a speedway race track but he was never found.

It's the not knowing that makes it so creepy because you imagination thinks of the worst possible things.

There is a certain nostalgia of cold cases. You wonder where you were in that year. Some 20 years ago. So much younger then you are now. So many memories and experiences that happened since then. All the people who you lost since that time and who you think about. A time before many people in your life were never born. It's like seeing an classic movies where you think back and wonder.

Then you can think that it was a time before cell phones and surveillance. If nobody remembers you from back then - it didn't happen. There is no cameras or cell phones that could trace you location. You were able to travel about and not leave a trace.

I think of the times when I was younger and all the adventures I had. I could have been kidnapped and disappeared, too. My bones could have been carried away by animals.

The solitude of desolate nature and solo travel is exciting and thrilling because nobody knows where you are. It gives you a certain feeling of freedom. At least that's how it was years ago. The surveillance state gives me comfort sometimes because if I ever go missing or get killed - internet forensics could solve the crime.

The other disappearances that are creepy are when cars end up at the bottom of bodies of water without a trace. Then found decades later. You wonder who these people could have become if not for their untimely demise.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnOeIFx3ML8

The though that with so many unsolved crimes we all have come across murders who never got caught before. It's a statistic that we all have met tens of thousands of people and some are murders.

I always felt a connection to Maura Murray because of Umass. I was at Umass then and I remember there were missing person posters all over campus way back then.

I wonder about that guy from Belchertown also:

BELCHERTOWN — Michael Ralph “Mickey” Brougham was 54 years old when he disappeared a decade ago. He has not been seen since nor do authorities have any significant leads to solve this enigma.

Brougham, an excavation contractor, was last seen by family on Friday, June 25, 2010.

Deaths regarding the construction business give me the creeps. Those guys can make bodies disappear. Jimmy Hoffa in cement.

Deaths of strippers and prostitutes are creepy too due to the secretive nature of their elicit deeds.

Deaths of powerless people by powerful people and or politically connected people are interesting due to the unequal status.

I wonder how many girls Epstein had killed. He may have found some "throw away" girls to do anything to and then disappear them when he and Bill Clinton or Bill Gates were done with them.

Out of the hundreds of girls he raped there is no doubt that some had to be silenced for good.

Other creepy deaths:

"Boys on the tracks"

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9SeK5R-fzA

Mary Mahoney

Seth Rich

So many murders revolve around the Clintons.

There are professional murderers out there. They know how to kill and leave on trace. They can get around all of the technology, cell phones, cameras, ect. Many "suicides" are actually murders.

It's sounding more and more likely that her boyfriend was involved. He had an ironclad alibi so most people overlooked him. However, he is going on trial for abuse of other women. He may have had an elaborate scheme to look as though he was at the base, but actually not be there. I do not think it was a coincidence that she was picked up in such a short amount of time. He may have followed her up there. I think she was riding in tandem with another vehicle.

I don't understand why the FBI is announcing a national alert about Maura Murray now. It makes them look foolish. She's been missing for 18 years. It's like issuing a national alert for 9/11. What good does that do?

Hey guys, I know it's been 2 decades, but we really want to get serious about this case now.... What?!

Just looked up Molly Bish. I had heard the name, but didn't know the story about her disappearance. Didn't realize she lived in Massachusetts. On the Bish wikipedia page, they also talk about Holly Piiarainen. She was from Grafton and went missing as well. The weird thing is that Molly Bish had wrote a letter to Holly's parents after her disappearance. That's really weird.

Missing UMass Amherst student Maura Murray: New Hampshire State Police search Route 112 for student who’s been missing since 2004​

New Hampshire authorities are searching for Maura Murray, a UMass Amherst student who has been missing since 2004, in the area located off of Route 112 in Landaff and Easton on Wednesday, the New Hampshire Attorney General’s office stated.

Murray, a Hanson resident and junior nursing student, disappeared on Feb. 9, 2004. The then 21-year-old packed up her dorm room and emailed her professors to tell them she was going home for the week because of a death in the family, but there had been no death in the family.

She disappeared on Route 112 in Haverhill, New Hampshire, after a single-car crash, officials said. A witness who is believed to have spoken to Murray after the crash told police she was unharmed. When police arrived at the scene minutes later she was nowhere to be found.

“In the years since her disappearance, numerous agencies and individuals have attempted to locate her without success,” the cold case unit’s website states. “Her disappearance is being treated as suspicious.”

Officials said Wednesday’s search of the Route 112 area isn’t due to any new information in the case. Instead, it is part of an ongoing investigation and will consist of a more extensive search of surrounding areas that had been previously searched in a more limited fashion, officials stated.

Maura Murray’s sister, Julie Murray, said the Murray family is aware of Wednesday’s search effort and is working closely with law enforcement.

“My family is aware of the search efforts today in NH for Maura and are working closely with law enforcement,” Jullie Murray said on Twitter. “We are encouraged and remain hopeful for a resolution. Thank you for all the kind words during this time.”

Continues...

View: https://twitter.com/JulieMurray2_9/status/1547224028267544579?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1547224028267544579%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.masslive.com%2Fpolice-fire%2F2022%2F07%2Fmissing-umass-amherst-student-maura-murray-new-hampshire-state-police-search-route-112-for-student-whos-been-missing-since-2004.html

I hope they can at least find her body.

The idea that she ran away and started a new life creeps me out.

What really creeps me out is that we ALL know people who go away with murder. No doubt. Say, you interact with 100,000 in your life. How many of those people are murderers? Maybe some people we actually know are murderers.

The missing guy from Belchertown could have been killed by somebody in that same town. Being that I deal with lots of people, I may have actually met his killer without even knowing it.

Especially old people. People who did crimes before DNA and cell phones.

Just this week there were a couple cold cases that were solved.

Missing UMass Amherst student Maura Murray: New Hampshire State Police search Route 112 for student who’s been missing since 2004​

New Hampshire authorities are searching for Maura Murray, a UMass Amherst student who has been missing since 2004, in the area located off of Route 112 in Landaff and Easton on Wednesday, the New Hampshire Attorney General’s office stated.

Murray, a Hanson resident and junior nursing student, disappeared on Feb. 9, 2004. The then 21-year-old packed up her dorm room and emailed her professors to tell them she was going home for the week because of a death in the family, but there had been no death in the family.

She disappeared on Route 112 in Haverhill, New Hampshire, after a single-car crash, officials said. A witness who is believed to have spoken to Murray after the crash told police she was unharmed. When police arrived at the scene minutes later she was nowhere to be found.

“In the years since her disappearance, numerous agencies and individuals have attempted to locate her without success,” the cold case unit’s website states. “Her disappearance is being treated as suspicious.”

Officials said Wednesday’s search of the Route 112 area isn’t due to any new information in the case. Instead, it is part of an ongoing investigation and will consist of a more extensive search of surrounding areas that had been previously searched in a more limited fashion, officials stated.

Maura Murray’s sister, Julie Murray, said the Murray family is aware of Wednesday’s search effort and is working closely with law enforcement.

“My family is aware of the search efforts today in NH for Maura and are working closely with law enforcement,” Jullie Murray said on Twitter. “We are encouraged and remain hopeful for a resolution. Thank you for all the kind words during this time.”

Continues...

View: https://twitter.com/JulieMurray2_9/status/1547224028267544579?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1547224028267544579%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.masslive.com%2Fpolice-fire%2F2022%2F07%2Fmissing-umass-amherst-student-maura-murray-new-hampshire-state-police-search-route-112-for-student-whos-been-missing-since-2004.html

I hope they can at least find her body.

The idea that she ran away and started a new life creeps me out.

What really creeps me out is that we ALL know people who go away with murder. No doubt. Say, you interact with 100,000 in your life. How many of those people are murderers? Maybe some people we actually know are murderers.

The missing guy from Belchertown could have been killed by somebody in that same town. Being that I deal with lots of people, I may have actually met his killer without even knowing it.

Especially old people. People who did crimes before DNA and cell phones.

Just this week there were a couple cold cases that were solved.

Yep. They walk amongst us. Pretty sure my friend's wife had my friend offed. Sad, as there's not much I can do about it. Very carefully executed.

I think the focus should be on the boyfriend. It has come to light that he has had some violent incidents with other girls. One of the girls said he made her say Maura's name during sex. That's pretty sick. I think he also recently went to court over a sexual misconduct incident with another girl.
Because he has such a tight alibi no one looks at him. But I think that might have been a bit of slight-of-hand.

I know this is both an old thread and a very old incident (20 years next week!), and I don't know why, but I've recently been reading (and listening) about the Maura Murray case again. And I've got to tell you, the rabbit hole on this one is miles deep!

It's truly an interesting case. Like everything about it has something weird. All the people or possible people involved, they all have some interesting or suspicious or violent pasts (and futures). No one theory fits with all the known facts but nearly all the theories have solid or plausible explanations for some of the facts. And for both possible outcomes (dead or alive), neither seems more or less likely than the other. The investigation has some huge holes, and the "official" timeline from the police doesn't align with their own facts (call logs, etc.). There's information/evidence that exists seems innocuous (911 calls, cell tower data) but they've refused to release, drawing suspicion. There's people who wouldn't talk (her own father refused to be interviewed for 2 years). Then there's other people with interesting stories themselves who may have no connection to this case at all, but were conveniently in the area. Maura's life before the disappearance is incredibly interesting itself.

I really cannot make heads or tails of this case. I'll read a bunch of information and details that lead me in one direction, only then to read some more stuff that flips that around. I'm going from thinking she was murdered to thinking she chose to disappear and start a new life as a new person somewhere, and back and forth.

Back
Top Bottom