Molle Gear, African Carry, and a 1-5x scope

Op4guy,

That's a nice looking belt-rig. My only question though - it seems like the rifle mags will end up on your strong side. Is that correct or am I missing how this wraps on the body?

I've always considered support side, slightly rear of center-line to be a better location for rifle mags so they can be accessed with the support hand, but again, am I missing something?

I was wondering the same thing as i am completing my set up. If you guys are right handed to you reload with your right or left hand? I'm a lefty and it seems when i have my gun mounted with a VTAC sling my trigger hand can fall down to reload w/o me losing sight picture, is this completely backwards?

What good is it to have a sight picture if you don't maintain a firing grip?

It doesn't matter which side is your dominate side; you should be conducting magazine changes with your non-shooting hand if possible.

ed,

Do they offer one of those for .308 mags? My prefered gun is going to be my LR-308

I don't think they make that particular set up for 308 mags, but you go with something like one or 2 of these and throw a few pistol mags on the front of them.

optacticalgear_2106_38614263

http://www.optactical.com/hstamapo.html

Op4guy,

That's a nice looking belt-rig. My only question though - it seems like the rifle mags will end up on your strong side. Is that correct or am I missing how this wraps on the body?

Nope you caught it right. People always ask why I am running them on opposite sides and is a genetic issue. I shoot rifle left handed so I draw mags from my right side. But for pistol I prefer shooting right handed so I dram mags for that from my left side. Yes it's a little goofy but that is how I am so I need to make it work the best I can. Now if i run everything up on my armor then it's a wash.

Also belt space is an issue as I am a 32" waist guy so that doesn't give me a ton of room to do stuff with. [smile]

Nope you caught it right. People always ask why I am running them on opposite sides and is a genetic issue. I shoot rifle left handed so I draw mags from my right side. But for pistol I prefer shooting right handed so I dram mags for that from my left side. Yes it's a little goofy but that is how I am so I need to make it work the best I can. Now if i run everything up on my armor then it's a wash.

Also belt space is an issue as I am a 32" waist guy so that doesn't give me a ton of room to do stuff with. [smile]

Ok, understood. My dad was the same way. Due to a youth injury he was left eye dominant but right hand dominant. As a result, he shot rifles left handed (to aim with his left eye) but pistols right handed (but still aiming with his left eye).

Good to know I'm not doing something backwards or just completely misunderstanding.

I am also "special" and will most likely copy your belt, thanks for posting!

Good thinking, now I need to re-think everything.

Madball,

Using the support hand for reloads minimizes the time when it is obvious that the weapon is not available for firing.

If I use my support hand, an observer can not tell if my magazine is empty or if I am drawing a new magazine for a tactical reload with a partial magazine. The weapon is only unavailable when the firing hand presses the magazine release and drops the current magazine, but the support hand should have a new magazine available and immediately insert the new magazine into the weapon, making it available for fire as quickly as possible. - This is also part of the advantage of the AR-15 format where the firing hand can readily eject a magazine while the support hand holds the new magazine. Some other weapon formats have magazine releases placed for the support hand which can make such reloads more difficult.

If I use my firing hand, an observer knows the weapon is not available for firing as soon as my firing hand leaves the grip. and the weapon is clearly unavailable until a the hand returns to the grip.

Anyone make any head way on these projects? I just got a reminder in a PM that I did not post a finished project of mine. I will do that when I get home.

So here it is.

US Grunt Gear Warhog Modular Belt http://store.usgruntgear.com/wamobe.html

Left hand to right hand:

USGG Light/Multi-tool pouch http://store.usgruntgear.com/taliandmumop.html

Eagle FB M4 pouch http://www.triadtactical.com/Single-M4-Mag-Pouch-FB-MOLLE.html

Eagle Double M4 Quad 1911 mag pouchhttp://www.triadtactical.com/Double-M4-Quad-1911-Magazine-Pouch.html

Maxpedition Rollypoly http://www.optactical.com/merolafoutpo.html

Peters Custom Spada Holster http://www.shop.peterscustomholsters.com/product.sc?productId=8&categoryId=2

P9230020.jpg

P9230017.jpg

The belt is a pretty cool design, it has a MOLLE sleeve that goes over either side of the belt with the idea of giving you MOLLE on the support side, and a standard sized "belt" on your support side so you do not need to rig some kind of attachment for your holster to the webbing (yes, mine is secured to the belt with zip ties [rolleyes], I will get into that in a few). The MOLLE sleeve also has a slit in the bottom of it so if you wanted to run a ninja rig with a drop holster, you can slide the drop holster mount inside the sleeve to attach to the "belt" and have MOLLE all the way around the belt.

It also came with an under belt that is lined with male side velcro that attaches to the female side velcro on the inside of the actual outer belt. This is a cool idea because you can use the velcro belt as the belt that holds your pants up and it keeps the outer belt from moving around too much. It also has 4 suspender mounting locations.

P9230012.jpg

P9230013.jpg

P9230014.jpg

P9230015.jpg

I really dig the Eagle mag pouches, well made and have good retention with out having to work too hard at getting them out. They also have velcro flaps if you need them. The USGG light/tool pouch is pretty standard.

P9230019.jpg

For the holster, I bought into the M4C.net fanboy fever and wanted to try a kydex holster. I have had a few Raven Concealment AR mag holsters for quite a while and liked them but the material seemed a little thin. Then the Magpul guys made a DVD where they used Raven Concealment holsters and EVERYBODY had to have one. At the time I knew I wanted one made they had a 3 month lead time. I found a review on Peters Custom and decided I like the idea of the thicker material, the fact that Peters did not charge extra for colors, and that they were fairly new so that I may get it relatively quickly. Well I failed to order the proper mounting setup for my belt, hence the zip ties used to mock up for these pictures, and the turn around was not what I expected. It seems I ordered right at the beginning of an order boom and it took the better part of 2 months to get it in my hands. Peters has since hired on some help and has cut their turn around time down.

I have worn it on a regular belt, and it does hide that heavy piece of steel, with a TLR-1 mounted, nice and comfortably under a hooded sweatshirt. It is tight, and I need to put some work into it at the range to loosen it up.

P9230018.jpg

While I was at sea, my GF had an AR class that she won on a Karma a while back, and as I was looking over the pictures, I see my unfinished belt wrapped around her like twice. [angry]WTF?[wink] So I built her one out of an Eagle belt I found on sale and some USGG mag pouches. If she wants to contribute, I will let her.

I have not weighed it, but it is not super heavy. This one is new, I have not yet run it through any real trials yet (work hasn't let me have too much of a social life over the last year and a half), but the last one I had was set up similar and I did run that one quite a bit and didn't think it was too much weight, YMMV.

The pistol with light is newish.

The pistol mag pouches are integral to the that particular pouch. I bought that pouch some time ago, and it still does the job, don't necessarily need to keep them full.

Keep in mind I picked this stuff and would wind up not getting to use it for a while due to work, then something would change, or I would wind up with a new pistol. [grin]

Last edited:
The pistol with light is newish.

The pistol mag pouches are integral to the that particular pouch. I bought that pouch some time ago, and it still does the job, don't necessarily need to keep them full.

Keep in mind I picked this stuff and would wind up not getting to use it for a while due to work, then something would change, or I would wind up with a new pistol. [grin]

No problems there. That makes sense.

I am not sure what it is now, last time I spoke to him he said he was going to update his website with a time.

Peter's customs is great kit. Turn around times are still pretty good for the average person and I think the quality is way better than Raven.

As for running 2 flashlights, I carry a hand held light as well as gun mounted lights on my Glock and carbine. You never know when you may need just a light or have to supplement if a light goes down.

To me that seems like too much weight to just ride the hips. I would seriously be looking to add suspenders at the very least. Overall it's a real nice set up though!

Back
Top Bottom