Moving to Chicago, do i have to ditch my gun?

I have a job offer in Chicago, and I'm thinking about taking it. I know Chicago is very firearm unfriendly, will I have to sell my pistol before I move there?

Best to check with the pro-gun groups in IL and specifically if there is one in Chicago.

IIRC (and I could be wrong), IL has NO CCW at all and Chicago bans all guns.

Checking www.handguns.us should give you links to IL/Chicago sources of info.

You have my sympathies!

packing.org says this: "Illinois has *no* provision for legal concealed or open carry by citizens."

I have a job offer in Chicago, and I'm thinking about taking it. I know Chicago is very firearm unfriendly, will I have to sell my pistol before I move there?
Don't do it.

There is no CCW in all of IL. Not even discretionary. Chicago has a handgun ban, as do many suburbs (including Morton Grove, Evanston, Winnetka, Wilmette, Oak Park, etc.).

Don't do it.

There is no CCW in all of IL. Not even discretionary. Chicago has a handgun ban, as do many suburbs (including Morton Grove, Evanston, Winnetka, Wilmette, Oak Park, etc.).

+1

Chicago sucks worse than Massachussetts. Downstate Illinois is Red America, but the legislature has too many Chicago/Cook County pricks and they force their shit on the rest of the state.

Downstate Illinois is Red America, but the legislature has too many Chicago/Cook County pricks and they force their shit on the rest of the state.
Yup. I grew up in Evanston. I've zero desire to go back.

Nevermind very, it's "concentration camp" grade, EXTREME would be the word. Handguns
are BANNED there, and there is no such thing as CCW, anywhere in the state.

IL sucks ass for gun ownership. I'd rather live in MA, in comparison. Their
patchwork of laws and bans makes MA look good.

-Mike

But just think how safe downtown Chicago must be! It must be a bastion of peace and tranquility! You won't need your gun there! What will you need to protect yourself from? Shoot, police don't even need guns there, right?

But just think how safe downtown Chicago must be! It must be a bastion of peace and tranquility! You won't need your gun there! What will you need to protect yourself from? Shoot, police don't even need guns there, right?

And if, just by chance, anyone believes that....I've got a spare bridge for sale, and relatively inexpensive. [smile]

Unless you can figure out a way to register the handgun with the Chicago PD prior to the cutoff date in 1982, yes.

A handful of the Chicago suburbs also have complete bans on civilian handgun possession, and the ones that don't are just a town council away from such a vote (IL law has an anti-preemption statute specifically enabling this). Historically, towns that passed such laws (Morton Grove is the famous one, but there are others - Oak Park and Evanston may be on the list) have not had any grandfathering provision.

NYC is a handgun owners paradise compared to Chicago.

And don't forget the tax rates, the political corruption that makes MA look like a Sunday picnic, the cost of living, etc. EVERYTHING is more $pen$ive, and I mean EVERYTHING. Gasoline is $.30 to $.40 more per gallon, taxes are higher, sales tax is 8.25%, 10% for restaurant meals tax. NH property taxes pale in comparison. The Chicago mayor is a criminal who has not yet been caught. And many people refer to the current governor as Rod Blow-it-out-your-ass-o-vich. And don't forget the skinny kid with the funny name . . . Sen. Barak Obama. Do yourself a favor if you must take this job. Move to Indiana and commute.

The job isn't that important-unless you will end up with no job at all. The offset in pay that is making you consider it at all is far outweighed by the increase in living expenses and loss of freedoms.

Stay in MA. Keep your guns.For now....

Now that is a quote I thought I'd never hear!! Things really have to be bad for that kind of comment. [shocked]

It is an accurate comment. Now; today; most modern guns are legal in MA.

You cannot possess a handgun in your home or business; much less carry concealed in Chicago, Morton Grove, Oak Park, etc.

Illinois is the one state I can think of that is more gun restrictive than either MA or CA. And as a longtime resident of Chicago, Burr Ridge and Peoria, I have the background to say Illinois sucks. I would move back to Logan UT or Vallejo CA before I'd return to IL. Even Worcester MA would be preferable.

RebelGT:

For fun, see if you can find online why the state of Illinois has no concealed weapons permit. Hint: Cook County Sherriff used to issue permits back in the 1930's

Now that is a quote I thought I'd never hear!! Things really have to be bad for that kind of comment. [shocked]

Don't I know it. I've been such a sceptic lately. Perhaps it's the December doldrums. I need a range day to get my spritis up. When this outage is over, I'm gonna go blast some shit. I didn't even get out for deer season yet!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm. I did a couple of searches myself, and couldn't find the info I wanted.

I was assisting (range coach) an NRA Firearms Safety Class in Peoria IL, and the instructor (a retired LEO) explained the Illinois perspective on concealed carry with the following story. The Illinois State legislature outlawed concealed carry after Al Capone's immediate body guards were found to be legally carrying concealed weapons under licenses issued by the Cook County Sheriff. The ban resulted from a down-state backlash against corrupt Chicago City and Cook County politicians and LEOs.

Rebel, the number one rule for gun ownership is to never sell a pistol. You always buy more and keep what you have. However, since you may move to a more restrictive state than MA (suddenly I feel better about MA), leave you pistol with all of us. We will clean it and exercise it regularly and when you come home for visits you can be reunited!

Back
Top Bottom