• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving to MA - What would you buy?

Search function didn't land a similar thread, so here is the question:

If you were moving to MA from a free state, what would be on your priority buy list before the moving trucks came?

(Please no "don't move here" type replies, the question assumes a MA move in)

About the only thing that's "annoying" to come by in this state is getting a semi AK or something like that because of the healeyban
bullshit. (fake law that nobody needs to pay attention to, except dealers, lol). Some factory "ban config" ARs. Or customized/high end revolvers not on the list. Revolvers are a pain in the ass to work over the system with, unless they're smiths or rugers. So if you want a Chiappa, a Korth, or some weird old Colt Python or whatever, or one of those Kimber snubs, buy it now, because you sure as hell ain't getting it later, at least without dual residency or a lot of annoyance.

Glocks, Krapber semis, blah blah blah, all that stuff is only slightly more annoying than the rest of the country to obtain here, regardless of
the compliance BS.

The only nice thing about stocking up before coming is you will not have to register anything you bring, upon your actual move. Given my druthers I would not intentionally buy any guns in this state if I could avoid it, the less paper they have on you the better. For some of us it's too late and they got reams of paper on us, lol.

I'm still going to be that guy though, btw. Knowing what I know now, I would never intentionally move here, at least not as a primary residence state, if I was
outside. Staying here was the 2nd biggest mistake I made in my life outside of a long term relationship that cost me like 6 years, some sanity and health, and 50-60 grand. It's more than the gun laws too, btw. Lots of towns going to shit in this state. In 5-10 years many parts of this state will be just like parts of CT
are, communist shitholes. If you really have to come here, do your own research about the laws and make your own risk assessments, though Don't listen to some jerk/commando in a gun shop talking about this or that or the other thing. Get your LTC, Learn a little. Fly low and avoid the radar. Learn on your own terms and make your own assessments. To do otherwise you will go completely insane and be caught up in stupidity like forking over $120 for a "pweee ban" U notch garbage glock mag from some ripoff artist thinking its actually rare or something, and you'll be afraid of your own shadow every time you go to a gun shop. The only way myself and others can stand being here is sort of being on the edge of not giving a shit and often playing by "big kid rules". If you can't mentally get there, it will just stress you out.

-Mike

I don't personally have much experience with that end, but I was assuming that OP has the ability to skip FFL transfer if he hasn't moved already. Sure, not much money for the transfer, but just one less hassle of moving if you can just bring with you. Any MP5 I've come across that is already in state is typically priced like it is a it's gilded in gold and diamonds. I've never looked them up online myself, so maybe that's something I should start pricing out. That's my dream gun.

Yeah being a preban long gun, no reason to buy it in Mass.

View attachment 250947Buy this. You’re going to need it with ALL the traffic down here. GOOD LUCK on your move!

I have lived in LA and DC... What traffic?
[popcorn]

I think a Glock 26 Gen 5 is on top of my list.

CZ is a no go? Those CZ75 SA have been on my list for a while. The hard part is dumping the high cap mags and looking for and finding 10 rounders...

I did hear about one case of possession of new large cap mags. It was the only issue. Like all cases, no idea how it ended up.

Many years ago Scriv had one where the guy got whacked with several charges for selling large cap, awb, etc, but he never told us how it was
disposed. I suspect that a "deal" was crafted and it got turned into something else.

-Mike

I would think if they can’t nail someone for the crime they think he did, they’d use anything they could.
In the case I'm aware of, the guy didn't do anything else wrong.

Many years ago Scriv had one where the guy got whacked with several charges for selling large cap, awb, etc, but he never told us how it was
disposed. I suspect that a "deal" was crafted and it got turned into something else.

-Mike
Usually CWOF or pled to something that would make him a PP but no jail time. Scriv is sharp enough to try to keep the guys nuts out of that wringer however.

To bring back on topic, the preban mags are a good idea and anything you want to keep e.g. Sig 365. Yes, you can frame transfer but it is a hassle and requires FA-10 whereas moving in doesn't.

But don't worry about buying something and reselling it later. If you hold onto them for a few/several months and change your mind it doesn't make you a dealer nor a criminal.

I don't personally have much experience with that end, but I was assuming that OP has the ability to skip FFL transfer if he hasn't moved already. Sure, not much money for the transfer, but just one less hassle of moving if you can just bring with you. Any MP5 I've come across that is already in state is typically priced like it is a it's gilded in gold and diamonds. I've never looked them up online myself, so maybe that's something I should start pricing out. That's my dream gun.

Yup, if I won the lotto it would be my first purchase. Die Hard immortalized the MP5.

Search function didn't land a similar thread, so here is the question:

If you were moving to MA from a free state, what would be on your priority buy list before the moving trucks came?

(Please no "don't move here" type replies, the question assumes a MA move in)

PLENTY of Alcohol.

You'll need it.

I just think the Fed’s would view this as a straw purchase, especially after reading this thread.
Thats only if you are buying them to sell to someone who cant other wise buy a gun.
There are models of guns you just cant get here in mass unless someone decides to sell one out of thier collection.
i get asked often where you can buy a new deringer in mass by mass residents with LTC.
So if your coming to this state and find yourself wanting a derringer or any other model thats not on the mass roster you would be smart to buy anything you may happen to want.
i would pick up a deringer in every cal.
Colt 1911s , kimbers and other non mass list guns you can own and posses here but not buy new.

So unless its considered a selfie straw purchase i dont see what the feds would be interested in.

Thats only if you are buying them to sell to someone who cant other wise buy a gun.
There are models of guns you just cant get here in mass unless someone decides to sell one out of thier collection.
i get asked often where you can buy a new deringer in mass by mass residents with LTC.
So if your coming to this state and find yourself wanting a derringer or any other model thats not on the mass roster you would be smart to buy anything you may happen to want.
Colt 1911s , kimbers and other non mass list guns you can own and posses here but not buy new.

So unless its considered a selfie straw purchase i dont see what the feds would be interested in.

I think buying a gun for the purchase of selling is a straw purchase. That’s why the 4473 asks if you’re buying for someone else. Doesn’t matter who the someone else is.

I think buying a gun for the purchase of selling is a straw purchase. That’s why the 4473 asks if you’re buying for someone else. Doesn’t matter who the someone else is.
True, he can chat with the guys (one was a cop) who got convicted. Neither was a PP prior to this conviction, but the feds convicted on a straw purchase for his relative.

I'd go ahead and get that Glock you want. It will be less hassle and probably a little less money even if you buy smart here. Walther PPQ would be pretty cool too. As others have mentioned, get some derringers if you ever want one or think you might ever want one. Others to consider: any collectible revolver, vintage Colt 1911's, and any vintage milsurps like a Luger P08.

not true at all. Straws can happen without prohibited persons being involved.

Are pre-ban mags exempt from this straw ruling? My assumption is that they are exempt, but I have far less experience in this realm than most here.

Magazines (regardless of manufacture date) are just pieces of metal in 40 something states no different than a loaf of bread.

-Mike

I'm sure he intended to declare the purchase on his tax return and pay the sales tax. I mean, I always do when I buy booze on road trips!

Actually, there is a line to declare Sales Tax on the MA DOR Tax Return.

I always put a few bucks on to it. Like $30 or so.

Call me a chump, but I figure 0 is just not believable, and I do not want to be hassled.

Back
Top Bottom