• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving to MA - What would you buy?

Any MP5 I've come across that is already in state is typically priced like it is a it's gilded in gold and diamonds. I've never looked them up online myself, so maybe that's something I should start pricing out. That's my dream gun.

Was in the same boat last year. Something about coming of age in the 90's and seeing the MP5 in all the action movies. Gun is cool as hell.

You're MUCH MUCH better off getting a good clone. They are way cheaper, many of them are built on old HK machinery or identical copies, and several manufacturers are actually regarded as BETTER than the original.

It's tricky to get in MA, but doable. Shoot me a PM if you wanna know how I got mine. Ran less than $2k, but needs a stamp.

This thread kind of went off the rails from my original intent, availability, but I am glad it facilitated conversation.

Back to the topic:

Anyone seeing S&W M&P9 M2.0 3.6" Compacts in MA? The standard mag is 15. I get the feeling S&W will stick with the Shield for MA residents to maintain the same magazine production lines and maybe offer one full size configuration with 10 rounds to cover the CA and MA markets. I don't really want to buy a frame and hope they will make 10 rounders.

I think I would stick with an XD-s or Shield over an expensive Colt or Kimber, especially if Springfield 1911s (RO Champion or EMP) are available in MA.

I have never been a Glock person, but being designed around 10 rounds (Model 26), the removal of finger grooves on the Gen 5, and the softer recoil vs the XD-s. Keeps it up in the running.

Full disclosure, my time in MA could be as little as four to six years, so this isn't necessarily a forever situation.

Actually, there is a line to declare Sales Tax on the MA DOR Tax Return.

I always put a few bucks on to it. Like $30 or so.

Call me a chump, but I figure 0 is just not believable, and I do not want to be hassled.

That's what we're "supposed" to do. But you're the only one I've ever heard of that declared anything there. You can also choose to pay a higher income tax on Mass return.

Eta Actually, for I know I do that too.

Every January I bring a big box of receipts to the accountant and in a couple weeks he sends the tax forms all filled out. So far neither of us has gone to jail.

Anyone seeing S&W M&P9 M2.0 3.6" Compacts in MA? The standard mag is 15. I get the feeling S&W will stick with the Shield for MA residents to maintain the same magazine production lines and maybe offer one full size configuration with 10 rounds to cover the CA and MA markets. I don't really want to buy a frame and hope they will make 10 rounders.

Haven't seen the compact, only the 4.25" m2.0. Shield with Magguts +2 would be 9+1 though in about the same size as factory extended 8rd mag.

Smith & Wesson eventually gets pretty much everything the make MA approved. Sometimes it just takes a little time.

You do get jammed with a 10lb trigger the S&W semi autos but the Apex kit will fix that for $90 and then the trigger is better than a non MA one.

I’d probably get a really nice 1911 like a Wilson Combat. I know it’s theoretically possible to get your hands on one in MA but itd be nice to just walk into a gun shop and buy one like normal people do.

I would go for any off list revolver you may want, or AR/AK rifles in compliant configuration.

After that I’d get whichever Glock you want. They’re not hard to get once you know what you need to do, but it took me a while to learn what I needed to do. That’s true of pretty much all semis.

This thread kind of went off the rails from my original intent, availability, but I am glad it facilitated conversation.

Back to the topic:

I think I would stick with an XD-s or Shield over an expensive Colt or Kimber, especially if Springfield 1911s (RO Champion or EMP) are available in MA.

I have never been a Glock person, but being designed around 10 rounds (Model 26), the removal of finger grooves on the Gen 5, and the softer recoil vs the XD-s. Keeps it up in the running.

Full disclosure, my time in MA could be as little as four to six years, so this isn't necessarily a forever situation.

It can be found. You either have to block(epoxy) the 15 rd mags since S&W does not make compact 10rders or you use full size 10rders and the sleeves provided with the gun.

All semi auto pistols are obtainable (except AWB items that you can’t own anyway).

Focus on off list revolvers to future proof your desires. Everything else you can easily get later.

It can be found. You either have to block(epoxy) the 15 rd mags since S&W does not make compact 10rders or you use full size 10rders and the sleeves provided with the gun.

Are you sure about there being no 10rders for the compact? I could have sworn I saw factory ones recently online.

There are also pre-made plugs you can buy to limit 10rd capacity. Might still have to secure them to glue/epoxy to ensure the magazine is compliant though.

Are you sure about there being no 10rders for the compact? I could have sworn I saw factory ones recently online.

There are also pre-made plugs you can buy to limit 10rd capacity. Might still have to secure them to glue/epoxy to ensure the magazine is compliant though.
If you can find 10rd M&P 2.0 compact magazines, please post a link. original mags, not blocked.

The M&P 2.0 compact is not compatible magazine-wise with the 1.0 compact. With the 2.0 they emulated glock, the full size is 17rd and the compact is 15rd and the full size fits in the compact.

Yes, there are a couple companies that make blocks. I print ones of my own design on my plastic printer. Epoxy is not really optional. Glue is inadequate. It cannot be convertible to large capacity and glue is trivial to work around. There are other "permanent" options besides epoxy but it is the best. I've done a lot of magazines of different manufacture to make them MA safe (permanent 10rd capacity).

Much better trigger out of the box than the g19 (IMO). More parts for the g19 to improve its trigger, though.

Honestly (w/out offense) why do some think Chiappas are so nice? Because non-roster?

They are so ugly....Specifically the Rhino

Last edited:
Honestly (w/out offense) why do some think Chiappas are so nice? Because non-roster?

Yeah they’re not the nicest looking revolver. But the fact that the barrel is so low, it really reduces muzzle flip from what I hear. Just a neat design.

Yeah they’re not the nicest looking revolver. But the fact that the barrel is so low, it really reduces muzzle flip from what I hear. Just a neat design.
I agree after seeing it in action that the flip is very low comparatively.

If you can find 10rd M&P 2.0 compact magazines, please post a link. original mags, not blocked.

The M&P 2.0 compact is not compatible magazine-wise with the 1.0 compact. With the 2.0 they emulated glock, the full size is 17rd and the compact is 15rd and the full size fits in the compact.

OK. I thought Promag made one, but I was mistaken. None to be found, so you're 100% correct.

Divisive pistols, for sure. Purist wheel barrel owners probably tend to hate it because they feel this company has taken something already perfect (general revolver shape/design) and ruined it. People who grew up in the polymer era (meaning they are less familiar with what a wheel gun "should" look like) and who like movies like Blade Runner probably tend to love the design. I'm kind of in the middle, but do like how the form isn't just for looks, but is for function.

Divisive pistols, for sure. Purist wheel barrel owners probably tend to hate it because they feel this company has taken something already perfect (general revolver shape/design) and ruined it. People who grew up in the polymer era (meaning they are less familiar with what a wheel gun "should" look like) and who like movies like Blade Runner probably tend to love the design. I'm kind of in the middle, but do like how the form isn't just for looks, but is for function.

Gimme a Super Redhawk with a 7.5” barrel and I’m gtg!

Back
Top Bottom