Moving to New Hampshire

Hey everyone, after spending my whole life here in Massachusetts, and enjoying the wonderful array of amenities this state has to offer, I've made the decision to move to New Hampshire. My company is going to be relocating from Weymouth (also my current residence) to Seabrook, NH fairly soon. I'm currently a LTC-A holder and have a smallish collection but, what do I need to know moving my guns and license to NH? Any and all input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

For your guns all you have to do is move them. No registration required. Stop by your local PD and apply for your pistol permit (LTC). Should take about 10 days.

Run, don't walk, over the border and don't look back!

On the bad side, your LTC-A in MA is immediately revoked. You will need to start the process all over again (fingerprint, background check, etc.) as a non-resident and it must be renewed each year (each time doing the same process). So basically, you need to do this every 9 months if you don't want it to lapse. When I was considering a move to CT, I wanted to keep my permit in MA for visiting friends/family.....this was the wonderful news I got!

I love how residents of Mass think when they move to NH they have to go through a special process to own their guns and carry. The first thing you do is pack the firearms up and drop them off at your new residence. That part is done at that point. they now are yours in NH. Then you go the the local PD and they will give you a CC permit application which you fill out and hand back. They then send you a CC permit and that is done. Then you go to your local gunshop and maybe pick up a gun. You bring that to the checkout and give them your drivers license. They call in the background check. Then they say hand you your new firearm and say "Have a nice day". Now fuss no muss and no waiting. I miss NH.

Last edited:
I love how residents of Mass think when they move to NH they have to go through a special process to own their guns and carry. The first thing you do is pack the firearms up and drop them off at your new residence. That part is done at that point. they now are yours in NH. Then you go the the local PD and they will give you a CC permit application which you fill out and hand back. They then send you a CC permit and that is done. Then you go to your local gunshop and maybe pick up a gun. You bring that to the checkout and give them your license. They call in the background check. Then they say hand you your new firearm and say "Have a nice day". Now fuss no muss and no waiting. I miss NH.
Mind, in case that confuses anyone - he means your DL. You do not need a carry license to buy in NH. You just need to prove residence and pass the Brady check.

You DO need to notify CHSB and your issuing chief that you have moved, within 30 days by Certified Mail per MGLs.

Failure to do so is grounds for denial of any future MA LTC (including NR LTCs)!

Other than that, enjoy your freedom and enjoy the Free America air, where you can buy whatever you want and your wallet can handle.

I love how residents of Mass think when they move to NH they have to go through a special process to own their guns and carry. The first thing you do is pack the firearms up and drop them off at your new residence. That part is done at that point. they now are yours in NH. Then you go the the local PD and they will give you a CC permit application which you fill out and hand back. They then send you a CC permit and that is done. Then you go to your local gunshop and maybe pick up a gun. You bring that to the checkout and give them your license. They call in the background check. Then they say hand you your new firearm and say "Have a nice day". Now fuss no muss and no waiting. I miss NH.

That's what many from there think anytime they go outside of that legal hell with their guns, regardless of the destination.

I think there are a few here who still think we are somehow holding back something when we describe how easy and care free it is to own firearms in free states.

ETA: Don't forget face to face sales. Cash and carry as many times as your wallet can swing it. What's an FA10?

Don't forget to pick up a post-ban upper and un-pin that collapsible stock on your AR's! Not to mention 30rnd mags are dirt cheap :)

Congrats on the move.

I'm surprised no one else mentioned this, but if you have any guns that are unavailable to MA residents that you could pick up cheaper on the "outside", you might want to consider selling some of your collection.

Mind, in case that confuses anyone - he means your DL. You do not need a carry license to buy in NH. You just need to prove residence and pass the Brady check.

I fixed my post.

Also dont forget to pick up a bunch of those "evil high capacity magazines". You should also order some ammo from online and have it shipped to your house just for fun.

Sorry to bring this thread up from the grave, but where is a good part of New Hampshire to move to ? I currently work in Andover so a 45-50min commute would be what I'd be happy with. Any experience with people who live in NH but work in MA. How is the traffic? Home prices? Taxes ? etc. I want to buy a home in the next 3 years, but the hell if I have to settle in MA when freedom is just minutes away.

Sorry to bring this thread up from the grave, but where is a good part of New Hampshire to move to ? I currently work in Andover so a 45-50min commute would be what I'd be happy with. Any experience with people who live in NH but work in MA. How is the traffic? Home prices? Taxes ? etc. I want to buy a home in the next 3 years, but the hell if I have to settle in MA when freedom is just minutes away.

Traffic is horrible. I live in Wayland and worked in Nashua for a year. I also worked in Chelmsford for 3 years. During that time I did the reverse commute up Route 3. The usual commute direction (South in the morning, North in the evening) was epic in its horribleness. The same is true for I93 and I95. If you're going to do it, you really need to commute off hours.

What is off hours? I'm in a 6am in the morning, and leave at 330pm.
That's certainly a lot better than 8 AM, but you'll likely find a good bit of company at 6 AM. Get up extra early some morning in the fall, after school has started, and try it.

Salem/Pelham area is probably going to be your best bet. You will still have to play with the hell on rte 93 and possibly a little on 495 though. W/o traffic it is like 20 minutes but the reality is you could be looking at an hour plus. If you decide to live in Salem staying west of rte 28 might help you, too.... from black Friday until the end of December rte 28 is a pile of crap with all the Christmas shoppers on it.

Yes, you will get p3wned on taxes on a border town, but it all depends on the size of the house you buy and so on. Then again I can't imagine that property
taxes in a place like Andover are going to be that good anyways...

M1911 has a good point. Right now traffic is about 20% lower because most of the college kids are off. Try driving your route after the first week of September or so and you will see a completely different traffic picture. If you can significantly alter your work hours it will pay huge dividends in terms of commuting time.

-Mike

Last edited:
M1911 has a good point. Right now traffic is about 20% lower because most of the college kids are off. Try driving your route after the first week of September or so and you will see a completely different traffic picture. If you can significantly alter your work hours it will pay huge dividends in terms of commuting time.
Summer traffic on the Pike sometimes seems to be 1/2 of what it is during the school year.

Summer traffic on the Pike sometimes seems to be 1/2 of what it is during the school year.

Yeah, probably is worse on the major arteries. On rte 2 its probably about 20% or so, or that's what it seems like.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom