My Babygirl, lol. I love this reticle, from the Vortex Strike Force 1-8x24

im not an LPVO fan, but the following have been solid options:
steiner P4xi especially when it was cheaper
any of the trijicon 1-4
SWFA 1-4
primary arms but only their Japanese glass “platinum” or whatever they call it

these all suck compared to an eotech xps2 with a magnifier

most LPVOs on the market are shit glass with shit reticle. With exception of the razor line, all the vortex glass sucks. I consider the strike eagle to be unusably bad. The viper PST 1-6 is decent.
Hate to go off topic. Any of the Trijicon 1-4 are great. At least they have been great to me. I am still partial to the green triangle.

... I did have a SWFA and almost grabbed a Steiner at one point.
maxresdefault.jpg

I keep saying this: the lowest I’ll go for an LPVO is the Viper PST 1-6 gen2. Razor would be ok, but for the price, there are better options. NF nx8, nx8 atacr, SIG Tango6, just to name a few. I keep telling you guys, Vortex has a good warranty, but so do many others now, and the best warranty in the world won’t do you any good if your scope shits the bed when you need it most. I’m ok with my viper 1-6 gen2 for now, but it wont stay. It’s just a placeholder until Ican afford a Nightforce.

I agree some reticles are very cluttered. What optic and reticle would you recommend in a LPVO ?
i went over 4 different kinds of LPVOs recently, mostly looking at new offers in 1-8x and 1-10x.
price wise - in $400, $600, $800, $1500-$2000 segments, obviously, quality differs quite dramatically.
there are several new brands on the market that seem to offer a bit better bang per buck, but, there are always tradebacks, usually the size of the eye box at max magnification.

to cut to the chase - pretty much none of BDC reticles i saw were accurate at all with 68gr .223 rounds i am using. one could live with that, probably, if learned how exactly your version matches your ammo, but, overall in my opinion it is a flawed concept.

strike eagle vortex is garbage optically, diamondback is a bit better, but not my much. the reticle in that strike eagle is like already been told above - meh.
if you look at this one below, you can see BDC and MOA/MIL long versions.

in practice the latter is actually more useful, considering shooting at longer distances at 10x.
rtcl.jpg

one more sample - eotech vudu reticles.
like in the other example, it boils down to your personal taste - but the one with notched crosshair and a center dot is most usable.
the concept in all of them is similar - the circle around helps fast aiming, and at max magnification you need to be able to see the notches.
the majority of BDC claim to be set for 5.56 m193, but in reality it is a huge hit and miss.

rtcl1.jpg

You dont need nothen more thans a Redfield 4X Widefield duplex ret.
Sure it can be improoved with say a 1/2 moa dot and maybe side parallax adjustment?

You dont need nothen more thans a Redfield 4X Widefield duplex ret.
Sure it can be improoved with say a 1/2 moa dot and maybe side parallax adjustment?
i never used before anything other than a simple generic notched crosshair, so was curious to test all those modern ones.
the real outcome of that so far for me was - a circle helps, but anything other than a dot in the center of the crosshair is not too helpful.

plus, the talk here is about LPVOs with 1- optics that still should allow fast target acquisition at 1x magnification both eyes open, and there is SFP reticles with huge round circles actually help quite a bit, as you do not even look at the cross hair, just get the target circled around with it.
as everything else it boils down to personal preferences. i still keep 1-6x viper pst2 vortex that has a simple crosshair reticle and find it perfectly usable as well. i moved it on the .308 ar10 carbine build now and it fits it perfectly.

i do not think there is any model of 1-6x, 1-8x or 1-10x with a parallax turret, but, may be i am wrong.

a latest thing i got is this one, and i did not have time even to zero it yet -

i was told online this apollo reticle is actually supposed to be quite accurate for 140gr 6.5cm loads, so, it is to be seen how much of that will be true. it could have been a mistake as they have very similar MIL Athena reticle that is a same exact thing, more or less, but a proper MIL notched.

Last edited:
This thread is what NES needed on a Sunday morning.

Thank you.

And OP, learn that people different opinions. You start your first thread, post nothing but a pic of your scope and get pissed off when someone doesn't like it.

If you are looking for a forum where everyone will tell you that you are awesome and everything you own is great, you are in the wrong forum.

"Welcome to the rice field"

Back
Top Bottom