My Bushmaster - Thoughts?

avy4y2uh.jpg

This is what I built for a combat rifle or what ever you wanna call it . Keep it stupid simple. Yeah it's a 16 barrel with a muzzel device but I don't see my self running and gunning . If shtf I can always go grab a hack saw cause at that point Nfa means shit. When I see a deal ill get a red dot or some some thing for it .

My next ar I'm building gonna be a dmr style heavy barrel bipod scope etc.

That's sweet!!!!

Thanks only took me like 8 months lol the barrel was the biggest hold up . I was gonna do the bullbarrel idea first then I got a piston kit for 150$ for a carbine lengthy .finding a hand guard to work with the osprey piston kit was had cause I wanted a free float. I realized after the fact I could of used a longer hand guard but what ever less weight .

This may seem harsh:

If this is going to be a SHTF/HD rifle then ditch half the crap on your gun.

-You don't need a bipod in a "CQB" situation. Nothing but extra weight.
-UTG is meant for airsoft. Dump it and get a real weapon light.
-Lasers are toys unless you're getting an IR one.
-Magnified optics are no go for a close-in rifle. Trade it for an EoTech/Aimpoint.
-You need a sling.

You need to run your gun hard to make sure it's "war worthy". 100 rounds doesn't count. I burned through a case in a half hour before I trusted mine.

Remember, price doesn't matter if you're going to use it to protect yourself.

Here's my current one:

P1010580_zps2daf4fdd.jpg

Eventually I'm going to replace it with a 300BLK and Geissele trigger.

This may seem harsh:

If this is going to be a SHTF/HD rifle then ditch half the crap on your gun.

-You don't need a bipod in a "CQB" situation. Nothing but extra weight.
-UTG is meant for airsoft. Dump it and get a real weapon light.
-Lasers are toys unless you're getting an IR one.
-Magnified optics are no go for a close-in rifle. Trade it for an EoTech/Aimpoint.
-You need a sling.

You need to run your gun hard to make sure it's "war worthy". 100 rounds doesn't count. I burned through a case in a half hour before I trusted mine.

Remember, price doesn't matter if you're going to use it to protect yourself.

Here's my current one:

P1010580_zps2daf4fdd.jpg

Eventually I'm going to replace it with a 300BLK and Geissele trigger.

Krylon? Or Rustoleum? Not that it matters.

When its not a show gun does it matter what you use for paint? As long as the heat don't burn it off I saw who cares if it scratches . That's like people who buy a trick and never use the bed cause they don't want the liner getting dirty .

Use it and abuse it .

I bought my BM XM15 in 2009 stock, have not done anything (meaning upgrades) to it and have at least 10K rounds and probably closer to 15K through it. Aside from changing the wearable parts, I have never had any issues with mine. I changed parts because that's what someone told me to after XX amount of rounds, extractor, bolt assembly, etc. They said I should change the barrel after 6K, but I didn't. I'm not shooting competition or anything, but it fires every time and hits the paper.

^this^

I've had my Bushmaster carbine for quite a few years. No mods and thousands of round with no issues. I've had more problems with the weapons I've been issued over the years.

It's a Bushmaster. If "CQB" means "i am going to use this someday to defend my life" then i would rethink your choice.

Rethink his choice based on what?

Cops and military have been using Bushmaster rifles since the 70's to defend their lives, thats about fifteen years or more longer than most other AR companies have been in existence.

avy4y2uh.jpg

This is what I built for a combat rifle or what ever you wanna call it . Keep it stupid simple. Yeah it's a 16 barrel with a muzzel device but I don't see my self running and gunning . If shtf I can always go grab a hack saw cause at that point Nfa means shit. When I see a deal ill get a red dot or some some thing for it .

My next ar I'm building gonna be a dmr style heavy barrel bipod scope etc.

Why run a micro gas block and then use a carbine rail? you reduced your sight radius for no reason. Dump the AFG

The afg helps with my wrist, skate boarding and playing bass with it hung low screwed my left wrist up. so nope I'm keeping it . I'd like to keep a steady aim vs shaking.i don't care what people think of it . Keeps my wrist from shooting pain up my arm.

When I first started the build it was going to have a long smooth free float hand guard with a optic . Had every thing bought but a barrel.
Found the piston kit for 150$ new in the box right befor New Years . Bought the kit cause it was a steal.
Couldn't use the tube hand guard and decide to do a "combat style upper" or what ever you want to call it.
At first I was going to use a set of non free float hand guards, but I found the the one I used .
Ill probably swap it out for a folding front sight gas block or leave it as is.

Last edited:
you're all wrong....get a double barrel shot gun. No one NEEDS one of these. [rolleyes]

- - - Updated - - -

you're all wrong....get a double barrel shot gun. No one NEEDS one of these. [rolleyes]

Rethink his choice based on what?

Cops and military have been using Bushmaster rifles since the 70's to defend their lives, thats about fifteen years or more longer than most other AR companies have been in existence.

Just to offer a different opinion based on my experience with BM rifles and that of people I know that have tried to run through carbine course, I would never trust my life with one. You can luck out and get one that works, but for serious use there are much better choices. The poor QC is just the start of the problems. The fact that cops are issued these rifles means zero to me.

Here's one of my rifles, just a plain Jane:

67406C94-77BE-4DEC-B35F-97D157CF8EFD-1171-000000D9C0675D65.jpg

Just to offer a different opinion based on my experience with BM rifles and that of people I know that have tried to run through carbine course, I would never trust my life with one. You can luck out and get one that works, but for serious use there are much better choices. The poor QC is just the start of the problems. The fact that cops are issued these rifles means zero to me.

Serious use? As another poster said, the military has been issuing Bushmasters for decades. War isn't serious use? Most people on here will never use their firearms for anything serious and or put 10k+ rounds through their rifles.

I have a heavily modded S&W M&P15T and a custom built and modded DPMS LR-308, so I don't have any skin in the "Is Bushmaster reliable enough to risk my life with it" debate. My .02, if you want "Bet your life on it" complete reliability? Buy an AK... then use the AK to fight your way to an LWRC or FN SCAR 16. [pot]

Last edited:
how is the balance? I find most bushmasters a little nose heavy for my shooting style. actually put a weight in the stock pocket

Serious use? As another poster said, the military has been issuing Bushmasters for decades. War isn't serious use? Most people on here will never use their firearms for anything serious and or put 10k+ rounds through their rifles.

Well, as I stated in another post regarding Geissele triggers vs. Wilson Combat (or others), I trust SOCOM in regards to the equipment they purchase and issue, but I don't necessarily trust Big Army. SOCOM is small enough, has the budget, and political clout to pick and choose the best gear available for Rangers, SF, Delta, SEAL's, etc. Big army is about cost savings and large government contracts, not necessarily the best performing equipment. I don't care what Police departments issue because for the most part, their budgets are too small to matter... excepting maybe LAPD, and even then it's just SWAT that gets the good gear, like a custom LAPD reticle on ACOG's.

Somebody said that UTG was for air soft? I got their two piece hand rail and it was nice.

They're two different types. My rail is made extremely well and for $45 the UTG was fine for my M&P sport. It's held up excellent for over a year. It does scratch kind of easily but I could give a shit.

They're two different types. My rail is made extremely well and for $45 the UTG was fine for my M&P sport. It's held up excellent for over a year. It does scratch kind of easily but I could give a shit.

Here's how I see this playing out: It's TEOTWAWKI SHTF time. Some bad guys take you out because your UTG "Airsoft gear" rail falls apart in the middle of a firefight. The bad guys are laughing and joking over your corpse about how you put Airsoft parts on your rifle. You, being dead, don't care... [rofl]

How likely is that event? Not damn likely.

More likely, the rail works fine for the range and cost a heck of a lot less than a comparable Troy or Daniel Defense rail, allowing you to afford more ammo...

FWIW, I put the good stuff on my guns because I can afford to (sort of). Doesn't mean your AR doesn't hit the paper same as mine...

Last edited:
Well, as I stated in another post regarding Geissele triggers vs. Wilson Combat (or others), I trust SOCOM in regards to the equipment they purchase and issue, but I don't necessarily trust Big Army. SOCOM is small enough, has the budget, and political clout to pick and choose the best gear available for Rangers, SF, Delta, SEAL's, etc. Big army is about cost savings and large government contracts, not necessarily the best performing equipment. I don't care what Police departments issue because for the most part, their budgets are too small to matter... excepting maybe LAPD, and even then it's just SWAT that gets the good gear, like a custom LAPD reticle on ACOG's.
And what has the MA ARNG issued you? I won't disagree with you that Bushmaster isn't the best, but having the very best isn't necessary.

Here's how I see this playing out: It's TEOTWAWKI SHTF time. Some bad guys take you out because your UTG "Airsoft gear" rail falls apart in the middle of a firefight. The bad guys are laughing and joking over your corpse about how you put Airsoft parts on your rifle. You, being dead, don't care... [rofl]

How likely is that event? Not damn likely.

More likely, the rail works fine for the range and cost a heck of a lot less than a comparable Troy or Daniel Defense rail, allowing you to afford more ammo...

FWIW, I put the good stuff on my guns because I can afford to (sort of). Doesn't mean your AR doesn't hit the paper same as mine...

How would it fall apart when I used red loctite? The heat isn't that bad in those spots anyways. But yes it isn't my go time firearm either , but it'll be fine if it was. I would put a magpul or Troy on my next build though.

And what has the MA ARNG issued you? I won't disagree with you that Bushmaster isn't the best, but having the very best isn't necessary.

Michigan issued us Colt M16A1's. The reason we got A1's (in the late 90's no less) is that we were a LRRP Company and the only reason a recon team would ever shoot, tactically speaking, was to break contact, where full auto was essential. We didn't carry, nor was anyone issued SAW's, M60's, M240's, etc... as it wasn't part of our TOE, so full auto M16's were the norm.

In Mass, we had M16A2's, M203's, M249's, M60's and mortars as we were a Light Infantry Company. Never saw anything but Colts or FN's for M16's in Mass.

As I said, I don't have a dog in the fight regarding Bushmaster quality. Heck, any number of people would question why I built a DPMS LR-308 given DPMS's "quality". Having said that, I wasn't ready to spend the money for a Noveske or LWRC REPR, hadn't heard many good things about Armalite AR-10's, and while I haven't shot thousands of rounds out of my LR-308, the few hundred so far have worked flawlessly. Of course, I also have an AK for SHTF reliability [smile]

How would it fall apart when I used red loctite? The heat isn't that bad in those spots anyways. But yes it isn't my go time firearm either , but it'll be fine if it was. I would put a magpul or Troy on my next build though.

It wouldn't, which was kind of my point. And it's not like the UTG is any worse than the standard M4 polymer hand guards or the Magpul polymer hand guards. [Edit] My M&P15t has a quad rail from S&W that could be Troy or it could be UTG... I've seen comments online that both were used at different points, so there you go.

Last edited:

This. Carbine course I participated in had zero bm, rock river, dpms or stag.

I think what we are seeing here is the typical butt hurtness that comes when you dare to question someone's purchase.

Just to be clear the OP asked our opinion as a group so no one should be surprised to see conflicting opinions.

I think what we are seeing here is the typical butt hurtness that comes when you dare to question someone's purchase.

Just to be clear the OP asked our opinion as a group so no one should be surprised to see conflicting opinions.

Given the cost of carbine courses and the cost of the ammunition for the course, I would imagine those taking the classes can afford an LWRC, LMT, Noveske, Bravo Co, Colt, etc. How many in the class have custom built a high-end AR and understand regular PMC of an AR? Replacing buffer springs, extractors, extractor springs and washers every few thousand rounds? My guess is most. Those that don't are the ones that end up with the jammed-up guns.

To be fair, I'll put my S&W M&P15T (with an H2 buffer, SOPMOD bolt upgrade, BCM full auto BCG, and PWS FSC56 brake) against anyone's more expensive Colt/LMT/LWRC/Noveske build. Yeah, sometimes you get bad QC from a manufacturer, but most times it's operator error, bad magazines, or bad ammo... Who wants to take my challenge? We could always run it at the Car Shoot in June.
[grenade]

Last edited:

Active Army infantry I've been issued Colt, Bushmaster, Harrington & Richardson, and those are just what comes to mind. There may have been others. I first entered active service in 1983. So my memory has faded on some of the minor things, like what was stamped on my weapon.

Given the cost of carbine courses and the cost of the ammunition for the course, I would imagine those taking the classes can afford an LWRC, LMT, Noveske, Bravo Co, Colt, etc. How many in the class have custom built a high-end AR and understand regular PMC of an AR? Replacing buffer springs, extractors, extractor springs and washers every few thousand rounds? My guess is most. Those that don't are the ones that end up with the jammed-up guns.

To be fair, I'll put my S&W M&P15T (with an H2 buffer, SOPMOD bolt upgrade, BCM full auto BCG, and PWS FSC56 brake) against anyone's more expensive Colt/LMT/LWRC/Noveske build. Yeah, sometimes you get bad QC from a manufacturer, but most times it's operator error, bad magazines, or bad ammo... Who wants to take my challenge? We could always run it at the Car Shoot in June.
[grenade]

I think the S&W M&P15T is a great weapon with out the upgrades you added. Our instructor shot a S&W and he put 1800 rounds through it the weekend of the course.

Everyone in our course shot basic production guns and were no means high end. I have a basic Daniel Defense carbine with an aimpoint pro.

Can you take a BM and upgrade it to make it better? Sure but why not spend a little more and get it right the first time. This statement doesn't take into account the current situation of gun availability.

It used to be that the ABCs were the way to go with ARs. Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt.
RRA and CMMG were the high end boutique brands to get.

Things change

Back
Top Bottom