My Bushmaster - Thoughts?

It absolutely was ammo related... and no fault of the operator, either. Fortunately he was ok. Overpressure round, bolt didn't unlock, gas returned into the upper with no where to go (because the bolt didn't unlock) and blew up the gun.

I'm not necessarily blaming Bushmaster and this case isn't the reason I'm not a fan. It can obviously happen to any brand as, in the end, they're all PRETTY much the same. Bushmaster is fine, in my eyes, for the range, plinking, etc. but I would prefer not to need to trust my life to it. That said, prior to the pictures above, that gun functioned flawlessly for years and years - "Run whatcha brung" so to speak.

I would assume Ultramax brand ammo?

Except when told to perform SPORTS I don't think I've ever used the forward assist. I have other military styled rifles and the don't have dust covers or forward assist. They're not necessary.

Yep. SPORTS...
Slap (your magazine)
Pull (the charging handle)
Observe (the chamber for obstruction or malfunction)
Release (charging handle)
Tap (Forward assist)
Shoot (weapon)

FWIW, I tap the forward assist to ensure the bolt is seated EVERY time I load a mag and release the bolt catch. But... I'm a product of my time. Basic/BRM for me was in 1996, and that was how it was taught. Could be different today.

As to other military rifles not having dust covers or forward assists, the M16/M4/AR15 family is the only modern rifle that I'm aware of that operates by direct gas impingement, where debris in the upper receiver could cause reliability issues. Piston based rifles don't have this issue.

Last edited:

FWIW, I tap the forward assist to ensure the bolt is seated EVERY time I load a mag and release the bolt catch. But... I'm a product of my time. Basic/BRM for me was in 1996, and that was how it was taught. Could be different today.

I went to basic in 1981 and I'm still serving today. I still haven't had a need for the forward assist.

Anyone wants to get rid of their crappy Bushmasters I'm willing to take them for a small disposal fee.

I have a bulk pack that I haven't shot yet. I believe it's 55gr .223. This is making me a bit nervous.

Given the proven bad rep of the ammo, I wouldn't shoot it on a bet.

I'd pull it, change out the powder to something I knew and reload all of it. A lot of work, yes, but better than possibly blowing up a nice rifle and possibly getting injured in the process.

YMMV, its your gun and your ammo, do as you like.

Back
Top Bottom