My First Gun

I got my LTC class A in Worcester last month (with restrictions of coarse), and did a lot research as to which gun was to be my first. I narrowed it down to the M&P or the Sig P229. As of Friday, February 20th, at 11am, I am the proud owner of a new .40 cal Sig P229. I have yet to shoot it, but plan to soon. I'm looking for advice on what ammunition works best with P229's for target practice? When I was researching and trying guns, it never crossed my mind. I would also appreciate any opinions on what type of round people prefer at home for security purposes. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
JHP is a must for carry ammo. Brand is really personal preference.

My suggestion between the 2 guns is shoot both if possible and then decide. They're very different. The Sig weighs more and is DA/SA. You'll likely have a little less felt recoil. The M&P is striker fired and weighs less. It will be lighter to carry but may seem to kick a little more. YMMV

If you're buying in MA you'll want a trigger job on the M&P

The M&P will cost you about $150 less new even with the trigger job.
EDIT
OK, I must be blind, I thought you were still shopping LOL.

Congratulations! I like the 229 a lot, a very nice gun. Blitz1 carries one and loves it, you'll love yours.

Last edited:
Murf, congratulations on your license.

As for ammo, you'll get many opinions, but you'll find that Winchester White Box, the economy box sold at Walmart, is a good deal for regular practice. They are full metal jacket, which isn't the best for self defense, but they are great to practice shooting with.

For your defensive round, look at the Speer Gold Dots and any of the top brands premium ammo. I like the Gold Dots myself, but people also like the Federal, Ranger and HydroShock brands. They all have their own proponents.

After you break in your gun, and get some practice behind you, you might want to buy reloads for practice to save some money and be able to shoot more. A guy like Qmmo, who a lot of the guys in NES use at the shoots, is a good way to go.

I'd also look into taking a course at NE Shooters or GOAL, to get more experience and knowledge with your pistol. The handgun courses I have taken at GOAL and NE Shooters have been outstanding. Of course you should be a MEMBEr of GOAL too. We need you to join us in the fight to keep our rights, especially here in Massachusetts.

Good luck. Feel free to ask any questions, I'd be glad to help you out, as would many of the other great members here.

Bill

as for the trigger job mentioned, if for personoal defense, i respectfully have to disagree, leave it alone. the reason being (and this coming from contract work working in lawyer's office and shooting the breeze) it can become a legal issue in terms of god forbid you have to use your pistol as a defensive weapon in your home. the moment the trigger pull is measured and is under the factory load, it can have a negative consequence.

Congrats on the license and gun. The winchester white box ammo works great for target practice in my p239, shot probably 800 rounds without any problems. federal HST or hydrashock is my choice for defensive ammo.

Congrats on the license and gun. The winchester white box ammo works great for target practice in my p239, shot probably 800 rounds without any problems. federal HST or hydrashock is my choice for defensive ammo.

I was going to say the same exact thing.

My Glock loves WWB and Federal HST or Hydrashock for carry.

as for the trigger job mentioned, if for personoal defense, i respectfully have to disagree, leave it alone. the reason being (and this coming from contract work working in lawyer's office and shooting the breeze) it can become a legal issue in terms of god forbid you have to use your pistol as a defensive weapon in your home. the moment the trigger pull is measured and is under the factory load, it can have a negative consequence.
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with your disagreement. A good shoot is a good shoot. Modifications have been proven time and time again that they are not a liability. If you get hung on a modification issue then you need to kick you lawyer in the ass to jump start his brain.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with your disagreement. A good shoot is a good shoot. Modifications have been proven time and time again that they are not a liability. If you get hung on a modification issue then you need to kick you lawyer in the ass to jump start his brain.

you realize that is basically kicking him in the brain to begin with? [smile][smile]

Thanks for the input. If you do a search in the gun laws thread, this issue has been extensivly discussed and if you're familiar with the MA version of the S&W M&P you'll know that it comes with a 10lb + pull to comply with the AG's sales regulations vs. the significantly less pull for the non-MA - about 5lbs IIRC. It's far from advocating a hair-trigger.

I shoot .40 cal and usually end up getting WWB (winchester white box) in 165gr. Most factory ammo that is readily available in most stores will be more than sufficient. Its all pretty decent stuff. Try different kinds and see what feels the best for you and your new sig, then buy a shit load and keep shooting. Welcome to the madness!

I got my LTC class A in Worcester last month (with restrictions of coarse), and did a lot research as to which gun was to be my first. I narrowed it down to the M&P or the Sig P229. As of Friday, February 20th, at 11am, I am the proud owner of a new .40 cal Sig P229. I have yet to shoot it, but plan to soon. I'm looking for advice on what ammunition works best with P229's for target practice? When I was researching and trying guns, it never crossed my mind. I would also appreciate any opinions on what type of round people prefer at home for security purposes. Thanks for any help.

Nice choice!! I use Winchester white box FMJ for target practice.

Nice choice on the 229, someday I would like to get one. I have yet to shoot a Sig, but I like the way they feel. We have the standard military issue beretta where I am, but the investigators get Sig P228's. I have spent many nights in the armory comparing the two and my personal opinion is the Sig appears to be a better gun.

Back
Top Bottom