Name that line...

This is a bit different from the "Who said that in what movie?" lines. A few weeks ago the American Film Institute published their list of the 100 best movie lines of all time. Of course, some are good, some are a waste, and they missed a few that IMHO are true greats. Some of the good ones they had on their list:

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse. (The Godfather)
Go ahead, make my day. (Sudden Impact)
You talking to me? (Taxi Driver)
What we've got here is failure to communicate. (Cool Hand Luke)
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. (Apocalypse Now)
I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore! (Network)
Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. (Casablanca)
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti. (The Silence of The Lambs)
Round up the usual suspects. (Casablanca)
You're gonna need a bigger boat. (Jaws)
Badges? We ain't got no badges! We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinking badges! (The Treasure of The Sierra Madre)
I'll be back. (The Terminator)
You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk? (Dirty Harry)
Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer. (The Godfather II)
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! (Dr. Strangelove)
Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape. (Planet of The Apes)
Here's Johnny! (The Shining)
Is it safe? (Marathon Man)
Forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown. (Chinatown)

Among the great lines they completely overlooked:

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? (both from Animal House)
What are you going to do, bleed on me?
That's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on!
O Lord, bless this Thy hand grenade that, with it, Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits in Thy mercy. (all from Monty Python & The Holy Grail)
I want that head so sanitary and squared away that the Virgin Mary herself would be proud to go in there and take a dump! (Full Metal Jacket)

Got any you think should have been on their list?

Ken

TonyD said:
Will Smith - Independence Day

Yeah... Wonderful line!

It's funny... I normally avoid Hollyweird science fiction movies like a bad cliche because of how BAD the science erorrs are (think of Bruce Willis piloting the space shuttle like a fighter jet in Armageddon), but Independence Day is one of those movies that I can watch over and over again.

And ignore the impossibility of, say, writing a virus for an OS that you've only just seen... logging into a network when you don't know the protocols and don't have an account... hooking a MAC into said alien network!! Or of being caught up in the shock wave from the explosion, being passed by fragments of debris... and seeing them hit atmosphere 10 minutes AFTER you crash land.

Will Smith, Judd Hirsh and Jeff Goldblum just save that movie.

Ross

Major General John B. Sedgwick, May 8th, 1864, near Spotsylvania Court House, who was berating an enlisted man for ducking for cover from the sniper fire, about 3 seconds before a CSA sniper put one about an inch below his left eye.

Ken

"Mine's bigger.

Argh... it was the president of the Deltas in Animal House when he was trying to pick up the Dean's wife. Um... Otter? Boone? can't remember the name.

Close. It was Eric "Otter" Stratemyer (Rush Chairman - "Damn glad to meet you.") picking up Marion "Mrs. Dean" Wormer in the produce section of a Kroger's. He was referring to his, um, "cucumber". Ceah. That's it. His cucumber.

Martlet said:
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

Wasn't that Admiral Yamamoto of the Imperial Japanese Navy just after Pearl Harbor? Or it could be Osama bin Laden about 8 hours ago...

The Brits are not going to let go of this...

Ross

dwarven1 said:
Martlet said:
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

Wasn't that Admiral Yamamoto of the Imperial Japanese Navy just after Pearl Harbor? Or it could be Osama bin Laden about 8 hours ago...

The Brits are not going to let go of this...

Ross

Yes, from Tora Tora Tora.

It's speculation whether if was a real quote, or just one made for the movie.

It's supposed to be his actual comment after 7 December, but most likely not a direct quote. The other commanders would most likely have been suspicious if he'd used English, so he probably said it in Japanese (Nihon-Go). [roll] [roll]

BTW, as a little bit of trivia, Toshira Mifume, who played the part of Yamamoto in the "Midway" (where I think the line is also used near the beginning) didn't speak any English, so all his lines were dubbed in. If the voice sounded naggingly familiar, it was Paul Frees, who used to do the voices of damn near everybody, from the Pillsbury Doughboy, Boris Badenov and Inspector Fenwick to the host in Disney's Haunted Mansion.

Ken

"Oh, my god, I'm paralyzed! That monkey shot me in the ass and paralyzed me! Oh, sweet irony!"

I will be impressed if someone gets this one. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom