Navy Colt

My dad gave me his Navy Colt for Father's day. I look forward to shooting it, but I don't know the first thing about black powder. Along with the Colt he set me up with caps, ball, powder and lubricant along with some brass device I think is intended for measuring the powder load. Can anyone point me to a good resource so I don't blow myself up? [thinking]

My dad gave me his Navy Colt for Father's day. I look forward to shooting it, but I don't know the first thing about black powder. Along with the Colt he set me up with caps, ball, powder and lubricant along with some brass device I think is intended for measuring the powder load. Can anyone point me to a good resource so I don't blow myself up? [thinking]

Sibb told me that this will become his primary home defense weapon. ;)

"Ok...hold it buddy! I need to load my gun...can you come back in say 10 minutes?"

Just f'ing with ya man!

Gotta take some video of you shooting the thing!!!

DON'T forget to cap each chamber mouth with grease! (I use Crisco) This will prevent sparks from the cylinder/barrel gap from entering a chamber and firing the round. You know, the one that's next to the barrel, but not the one in line with it. The one that almost takes your finger off because you are young and inexperienced, and holding it wrong. The one that scares the bejesus out of you, because you didn't think a cap and ball revolver was capable of full auto![shocked]...OK I'm shocked I even admitted that. It was many years ago.

Bill

Some shooters use a felt wad between powder and ball and some use grease over the ball. Either method seals the chamber and lubricates the ball. You can load either a ball or a bullet. I've had better accuracy with balls than with bullets. If the gun is in good shape, I don't think you can fit enough black powder in the chambers to blow it up

DON'T forget to cap each chamber mouth with grease! (I use Crisco) This will prevent sparks from the cylinder/barrel gap from entering a chamber and firing the round. You know, the one that's next to the barrel, but not the one in line with it. The one that almost takes your finger off because you are young and inexperienced, and holding it wrong. The one that scares the bejesus out of you, because you didn't think a cap and ball revolver was capable of full auto![shocked]...OK I'm shocked I even admitted that. It was many years ago.

Bill

Damn good advice here.

Thanks for all of the advice and thank you You Tube. I think I'm going to go with wads as they seem easier to use.

Thanks again

I load powder, ball and then lubed wad disk. I can't see how that's not safe.

That should be perfectly safe. The lube should act as a sealer, just like the grease. I wouldn't use a dry wad. Pilgrim I know you know all this stuff, and good point about the lubed wads. I'm just posting for the benefit of others that may be interested in safe operation of percussion revolvers. I wasn't injured in my mishap, but I came just this close.[wink]

Bill

I thought that the wad goes under the ball?

I guess you could put it under the ball, but one of the reasons for the lube, besides blocking any errant sparks is to lube the barrel for a better seal for the rifling and ball. These revolvers don't use a 'patched ball' like other muzzleloaders. The charges that I used had too much powder to seat the ball deep enough to be able to use a wad. They would just fall out, so I topped them with grease.

Bill

Last edited:
I too have had the dreaded multi-fire AD (when I was in my mid-teens and mail ordered the gun and all supplies - weren't the 70's great).
A little crisco to top it off prevented any further mishaps. Additionally, I had a interesting experience, when the ball I fired struck the stump that the target was stapled to, and bounced back and hit me in the chest. I get to say I was shot in the chest with a 44!

BP substitutes work well, but are a little hotter than true BP (FFg or FFFg) in my experience.

That should be perfectly safe. The lube should act as a sealer, just like the grease. I wouldn't use a dry wad. Pilgrim I know you know all this stuff, and good point about the lubed wads. I'm just posting for the benefit of others that may be interested in safe operation of percussion revolvers. I wasn't injured in my mishap, but I came just this close.[wink]

Bill

I wasn't inferring that your suggestions were wrong, just that there are alternate methods.

Either way is good. ...Crisco is probably better as it fills the holes more.

The patches should be lubed, both for lubrication and spark retardant.

Loading and firing the first time can be a nerve racking experience for a newby!

I guess you could put it under the ball, but one of the reasons for the lube, besides blocking any errant sparks is to lube the barrel for a better seal for the rifling and ball.

Hmm. Guess what I got shown was wrong, then.

Loading and firing the first time can be a nerve racking experience for a newby!

You can say THAT again, Brother!

Go here: http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/index.php?

These guys are experts!

They last a long time loaded. I remember loading one and keeping it loaded for over 2.5 or 3yrs. It fired flawlessly. Remove the cyl, fill the 6 holes with about the same RIGHT grade pistol powder, Hold it so none falls out and press in the balls. then put a little lube over every ball. Soap and water is a inexpensive cleaning solution, then coat it with gun oil. I used to like BP. Good luck!

Again thanks for all of the advice. I never wanted a BP pistol, but now that I have one, I'm kinda excited about shooting it.

Again thanks for all of the advice. I never wanted a BP pistol, but now that I have one, I'm kinda excited about shooting it.

I've already demanded video of him firing it for the first time. That will happen one week from tomorrow!!!

Wads came in the mail last night, pre-lubed, so that will save time. Wow not one lube joke, what a mature bunch!

Wow not one lube joke, what a mature bunch!

Just an oversight; I'm sure that now that you've pointed it out the s******s and Beavis & Butthead references will start. [rolleyes]

Uh... OK, that was weird. Apparently, the bulletin board software can't discern between a derogatory word for Negro and a perfectly legitimate word denoting a "snicker" or "snort". [rolleyes]

From Dictionary.com (Oh, for G-d's sake... that stupid software even edits a HYPERLINK!!!!! IDIOTS!)
snig·ger
   /ˈsnɪgər/ Show Spelled[snig-er] Show IPA
–verb (used without object), verb (used with object), noun
snicker.

Last edited:
I shot the Colt on Friday. It was a lot of fun. I had a problem seating the balls when I used the wads, and swapped to the lube instead. <snicker> Worked much better for me. I can't wait to take it out again. I got a .50 Hawkins for Christmas that I haven't shot yet. I might have to take that out next.

The lube will work fine but it may start to melt if you shoot on a day as hot as today. If you want to use the wads, you'll have to use a little less powder to leave room for them. I just checked and the spout I use when I load with wads only holds 15 grains of triple 7 powder. That's what the charge actually weighs on the scale. I didn't weigh a charge of fffg blackpowder.

Back
Top Bottom