Need a good boston compliant rifle... Is m1a the best ?

I have read the rules for boston and the "villages" of boston

Me and my brother should be moving into dorchester in the next few months.

And i believe its under the boston awb.

My ak is not compliant and i must have a rifle in whatever apartment i get . Makes you feel safe:)

Im not a fan of shotguns.

I will have my glock 21sf in addition.

What other great rifles are boston compliant...

If you have the cash an M1A. Would someone be able to confirm that high cap rifle magazines are banned as well?

"In the city of Boston, it shall be unlawful to sell, rent, lease, possess, purchase, barter, display, or transfer a large capacity magazine or a large capacity ammunition belt."

http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/bostonawban.html

After that it would be either a Garand or M1 Carbine, just my opinion. A Garand cost about half of an M1A and you're only 2 rounds short of the 10 magazine limit but 30-06 and 30 carbine ammo can be hard to find but I think they make self defense loads for the M1 Carbine too. The stupidity of the Boston AWB is not surprising. An M1A is legal, AR is not. Both are semi auto but the AR looks more like a scary machine gun and the M1A fires a more powerful round. An SKS is banned even though it only holds 10 rounds and does not take a detachable magazine WTF?

Girl, look... It is with guns just the way it is with martial arts. The best one is the one you master. The shiniest new AR won't do you any good if you're much more comfortable with a 60 year old SKS. Think about what you expect a rifle to do, what you will do with it, and what your own limitations are. Take it from there, and you'll be fine.

Girl, look... It is with guns just the way it is with martial arts. The best one is the one you master. The shiniest new AR won't do you any good if you're much more comfortable with a 60 year old SKS. Think about what you expect a rifle to do, what you will do with it, and what your own limitations are. Take it from there, and you'll be fine.

i would have gone with the sks if i could..

Last edited:
Might I ask why you are anti shotty? I spoon my M1A routinely at night, but it weighs roughly 739 pounds with a full magazine, and is roughly 6.5 feet long. Great to shoot but I would think quite unwieldy in a CQB type situation. At the same point, Frenchman said it best, the best one is the one you master.

Upon moving to Dorchester, if you feel inclined to drive to Canton, you can use the range there and shoot my M1A anytime

30-06 does not seem like a wise choice for apartment dwellers if you're planning to use it for home defense. Logical choice to me would be a hi-point carbine in the same caliber as your pistol.

almost every rifle is outlawed by the boston awb , except for a few..

and if im only going to have one rifle .. since the ak will have to be put into storage..i like the idea of an m1a scout squad.. and its on my to buy list .. throw a red dot on it .. and call it a day .. it will be the backup to my glock 21sf

and my get out of the city rifle if need be.. its a 308, fairly easy to find. can reach out a looooong way. go through most walls if need be.. and a car .. lol...

i wanted a 308 rifle.. and its going to be less recoil that a bolt action remington 700p.. and more mag capacity ..

if you going with a rifle .. make it a rifle cartridge .. like the doctor on wound ballistics pointed out ..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXwPtP-KDNk

Last edited:
Dorchester huh? I wonder how many houses a rifle round will go through at 3000 fps....

Are the Hi Point or Keltec carbines legal?

i know you want a rifle caliber, but as a fellow city dweller, the high point would be the most logical choice (.45acp like the glock). have you looked at a saiga in .308?? I know you have been looking for a rifle in that caliber. Here's the nutnfancy video (about a million years long). plus once you leave boston you could convert the saiga to a 308 ak variant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l2-nXO27r4

I love my M1A. I have the standard length model. It is a lovely gun, but not particularly well suited to use in an urban area or around vehicles. For that, I'd much rather use my M1 carbine.

i know you want a rifle caliber, but as a fellow city dweller, the high point would be the most logical choice (.45acp like the glock). have you looked at a saiga in .308?? I know you have been looking for a rifle in that caliber. Here's the nutnfancy video (about a million years long). plus once you leave boston you could convert the saiga to a 308 ak variant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l2-nXO27r4

id love to but the ak and its variants are also banned..

Assuming you care about the stupid boston AWB, I would just find someone/somewhere out of town to store your wares at, somehow. Then buy whatever the hell you want and just keep a handgun or two and a shotgun at your residence.

-Mike

yeh i have a friend who will store my ak for me for the next few years out in western ma .. but it would be nice to have a go rifle at my place of residence

(1) "Assault weapon", all rifles and shotguns designated as assault weapons in this section and all other semi-automatic rifles and shotguns which are determined by the assault weapon roster board, established under the provisions of section five, to be assault weapons. Such term shall include, in addition to any other rifles and shotguns identified by said board, all versions of the following, including rifles and shotguns sold under the designation provided in this section and rifles and shotguns which are substantially identical thereto sold under any designation:-

(a) Avtomat Kalishnikov, also known as AK-47 semi-automatic rifles;
(b) Uzi semi-automatic rifles;
(c) AR-15 semi-automatic rifles;
(d) FN-FAL and FN-FNC semi-automatic rifles;
(e) Steyr Aug semi-automatic rifles;
(f) SKS semi-automatic rifles;
(g) shotguns with revolving cylinders known as the Street Sweeper and the Striker 12;
(h) any other semi-automatic rifle with a fixed magazine capacity exceeding ten rounds;
(i) any other shotgun with a fixed magazine, cylinder, drum or tube capacity exceeding six rounds; and
09 any semi-automatic firearm which is a modification of a rifle or shotgun described in this subsection; that is, having the same make, caliber, and action design but a shorter barrel or no rear stock.

So a Saiga is not an AK, it is not a modification of an AK, it can be modified to become an AK, but as imported its a sporting rifle, nice thing, you can convert it when you move back out of DOT.

What you need is a ruger .44 mag carbine it's the size of a 10/22 with some serious stopping power that won't over penetrate and is less than 10 rds they have a few versions one has a small magazine one has an internal magazine tube similar to a lever action, it's semi auto and I've personally seen what they can do to a black bear and whitetail deer so I know they have stopping power,if you'd like to try one you are welcome to just bring some factory loaded .44 mag ammo.

Back
Top Bottom