Need a good boston compliant rifle... Is m1a the best ?

Does it need to be semi-automatic?

I've got a .308 Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle with a leatherwood hi-lux long eye relief 2-7x scout scope (and the OEM iron sights too) in the forward-mounted position for two-eye open shooting. You could put a dot sight on it (I have). Has 10-round box magazines, and 5-rounders are available. 7.9lbs w/scope but w/o magazine. Light, handy do-it-all rifle. If recoil is a problem you could put a compensator or muzzle brake on it.

Less than a hundred rounds through it. ~ 2moa gun. Let me know if you're interested. Was going to be putting it in the NES classifieds soon.

Last edited:
S262b.jpg

Not in a car, maybe, but if I really wanted to get out (of just the city) I would probably use my trek. It only takes me about 30 minutes to bike to Waltham from here.

A boat. canoe, raft out of the city by river would likely be best in case of mass exodus. But at that time, do you care about what rifle you have if the city is being abandoned?

Oh, and no one is evacuating from the metro boston area. If shit goes down best to hole up and ride it out.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before or what your thoughts are on a pistol caliber carbine. Its basically an upper that mates to a Glock or a 1911 frame.

http://www.mechtechsys.com/glock.php

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and no one is evacuating from the metro boston area. If shit goes down best to hole up and ride it out.

This, unfortunately. Just look at what its like on a regular workday commute. Knowing someone with a boat would solve a lot of problems, as long as you can get to it.

So, you want something for home protection, or in case of SHtF? Any rifle caliber, outside or inside, in Dorchester, will be a huge over-penetrator. In any case. You shooting distance will rarely exceed 50 yards in such a thickly settled area. Hi Point would be my choice in same caliber as your handgun. Easy to operate, very accurate at 50 yards, very maneuverable and light. Downfall- small capacity mags, proprietary to the carbine. Other option- get a carbine attachment to your G21. Gets you a stock and fore-end with same "receiver". Pluses- you are still good to 50 yards, one gun, one kind of mags, one ammo. Just shove your G21 in it and you are ready to go. Other option would be Saiga in 410 or 12ga, even in original config...

Not sure if this has been mentioned before or what your thoughts are on a pistol caliber carbine. Its basically an upper that mates to a Glock or a 1911 frame.

http://www.mechtechsys.com/glock.php

- - - Updated - - -

This, unfortunately. Just look at what its like on a regular workday commute. Knowing someone with a boat would solve a lot of problems, as long as you can get to it.

Thureon Defense and Just Right Carbines are a good alternative as well, use Glock or Uzi mags

Pistol Calibers have a high degree of over penetration risk through homes than rifle bullets

9mm or 40 carbine penetrates less than 308? 223 I could buy maybe but 308 I can't. Then again I'm a noob so I'm open to seeing proof of this.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Pistol caliber ammo penetrates more than rifle? Are you sure about that?

9mm has more over-penetration than 5.56mm, yes. I would have to do more research on .40 or .45. Once 5.56mm enters terminal ballistics(ie hits something), it's likely to tumble and lose energy quickly. I don't have any of the studies at my finger tips, but yeah 9mm is more likely to overpenetrate sheetrock behind a target than 5.56mm. 7.62x51mm on the other hand has much better barrier penetration than 5.56mm. I would not imagine that it would fair well in the overpenetration factor.

oh , never thought of the kel-tec.. good find :)

just a few more ideas for you, since I too have gone down this same road. BTW these are just my opinions, i'm sure others will differ and that's cool....

-kel tec Su-16
super light and easy to keep mobile. uses AR15 mags which is awesome. i have never fired one so i donn't have any direct experience but it looks decent. i like that it folds in half and can easily be transported without a giant rifle bag screaming "hi everyone I have a rifle". if I didn't already have too many rifles, I would go buy one of these...I just cant find a reason for another 223 when I barely shoot mine as it is.

-SCAR-L or whatever the 5.56 version of the SCAR. what a beauty but a little past my pricepoint.

-Tavor. magnificent. I love it.

-Ruger Mini-14 (or mini-30).
i love my mini-14 buit I have to admit the most annoying aspects are mini-14-specific magazines that aren't the easist to change out. compared to an AR, the mini-14 mags don't change as quickly because they need to be rocked into place more like an AK but for some reason they aren't as smooth for me. I still love my mini-14 though.
also the scope mounting options are a little annoying...it's not as easy as other rifles to setup a top picatinny rail. I have used the GG&G scope adapters + RDS with excellent results, so that's what I prefer.
one other thing i have heard that the pre-2008 mini-14 barrels are thin, and i certainly agree just by inspecting them. i've never fired the older thin barrel models. there are lots of older mini-14s for sale but i have stuck with post-2008 models and have found them to be very accurate up to 200 meters.

AR-10
I have never understood whether an AR10 is also "banned" according to boston. the wording specifies AR-15 and variants or somethign like that....I figure since the chambering is now 7.62x51, does that still count? i don't know...but if you're willing to go up in caliber it seems nice.

SIg 556
never shot one but i have heard owners quite pleased. i almost bought one but it felt soooo front heavy, like it was falling forward when i held it.

ACR
bushmaster ACRs seem easily available but I don't recall seeing them ever in MA. is there a reason for that? i don't know if an FFL can transfer them here? regardless looks like a sweet rifle, I would get one if $$ were no issue.

M1A
springfield armory M1A looks gorgeous but certainly not light. the McMillan rifle also looks cool but damn pricy.

personally i still feel like a PC-carbine or shotgun is best option for home defense in an urban setting. i trust my CX4 storm and the mag swapping w beretta 92fs makes it a winner for me. If i were doing it all over again I would probably get a keltec sub2000 to swap mags with glock 19 or maybe a kriss vector + glock 21.

maybe this info is useful to you. maybe not. either way good luck with your rifle search and god bless you for being subjected to boston.

9mm has more over-penetration than 5.56mm, yes. I would have to do more research on .40 or .45. Once 5.56mm enters terminal ballistics(ie hits something), it's likely to tumble and lose energy quickly. I don't have any of the studies at my finger tips, but yeah 9mm is more likely to overpenetrate sheetrock behind a target than 5.56mm. 7.62x51mm on the other hand has much better barrier penetration than 5.56mm. I would not imagine that it would fair well in the overpenetration factor.

Sounds like this referring to 9mm ball/FMJ?

I have read the rules for boston and the "villages" of boston

Me and my brother should be moving into dorchester in the next few months.

And i believe its under the boston awb.

My ak is not compliant and i must have a rifle in whatever apartment i get . Makes you feel safe:)

Im not a fan of shotguns.

I will have my glock 21sf in addition.

What other great rifles are boston compliant...

When it comes to home defense, look at the layout of your place before you decide what will be the best firearm for in hom protection. A rifle may make you feel safe, but is not always the best choice. Survey the apartment you will be in once you move in and then decide if you still want to go that route.

When it comes to home defense, look at the layout of your place before you decide what will be the best firearm for in hom protection. A rifle may make you feel safe, but is not always the best choice. Survey the apartment you will be in once you move in and then decide if you still want to go that route.

+1.
i fail to see how a 223 or larger caliber rifle is a wise choice for an apartment.
Lots of internet commandos will argue than an AR is best for everything but those people dont live in apts/condos, they live on a farm or house where such considerations dont exist.
i have kids in units near me....sorry but a 223 just aint an option im willing to use for protection. I would rather get hurt than hurt an innocent neighbor.

This is exactly what I was thinking. 7.62 x 51 just doesn't tumble on impact like 5.56 or 5.45, not to mention that it has a much heavier bullet.

+1.
i fail to see how a 223 or larger caliber rifle is a wise choice for an apartment.
Lots of internet commandos will argue than an AR is best for everything but those people dont live in apts/condos, they live on a farm or house where such considerations dont exist.
i have kids in units near me....sorry but a 223 just aint an option im willing to use for protection. I would rather get hurt than hurt an innocent neighbor.

There has been much better research in the past 10 years, by very experienced and scientific institutions such as the FBI, regarding terminal ballistics in CQB settings. The fact is that 5.56mm is actually quite good for CQB without much fear of over-penetration. On top of that, a rifle will allow for quick and accurate follow up shots and fantastic controlled pairs... even when the shooter has high adrenaline. This isn't internet commando talk; this is genuine reality. Now, I would not advocate a 16" barrel AR for home defense in a home with narrow hallways. One would want an SBR for such circumstances. The Tavor on the other hand is fantastic for tight quarters because of its compact length. Personally, I go for pistol with a light due to the really tight nature of my apartment and the ease of access of a pistol. That said, my personal choice for my circumstances doesn't make the 5.56mm in a small carbine a bad option for apartments.

Sounds like this referring to 9mm ball/FMJ?

Yup. It's comparing FMJ to FMJ.

Last edited:
150 gr 308 TAP or AMAX would be fine, most hollowpoint pistol rounds act like FMJ through barriers, and their speed and mass tend to carry them through Sheetrock well. This link gives you an idea of pistol round penetration abilities. More likely to hit with rifle and depending on load, is likely to penetrate less. Any round that will work on a person will go through a house no problem

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot1.htm

I got me one of these for HD. I keep the remote control next to my bed and incase of home invasion I just run/hide in my closet and let this bad boy roam around the house. I didn't see this on the banned Boston list. [wink]

marsrobot7804111hg6_zps694cc148.jpg

Last edited:
If only this weren't. Sadly "In the city of Boston, it shall be unlawful to sell, rent, lease, possess, purchase, barter, display, or transfer a large capacity magazine or a large capacity ammunition belt. "
I got me one of these for HD. I keep the remote control next to my bed and incase of home invasion I just run/hide in my closet and let this bad boy roam around the house. I didn't see this on the banned Boston list. [wink]

marsrobot7804111hg6_zps694cc148.jpg

Back
Top Bottom