Need a good boston compliant rifle... Is m1a the best ?

I don't think you would want to unload an M1A in the livingroom at 3 am , especially if you are in an apartment.

Any gun shot inside is horrifically noisy. I don't know that an M1A would be worse than most other rifles.

Some years back, I took a defensive carbine class taught indoors at S&W. We all wore plugs and muffs. AR15s were loud with that protection, but bearable. One student had a Mini-30 and that was noticeably louder -- just painful.

Beretta CX4 Carbine with 10 round 92FS mags.

Although what is the point of having a rifle, given the restrictions? Any benefits the average person may gain from keeping a home defense rifle are lost by the Boston ban. I would rather a GLOCK with a standard capacity mag in the night stand than M1A with a restricted capacity mag in the closet...

Last edited:
I'd be storing my rifles with a buddy and keeping my Remington 870P and EDC gun with me in Boston.

Sounds like an excellent excuse to buy a Tavor.

As long as you make it MA compliant, you're good to go in Boston as it's not on the roster. It's nice and short for good maneuverability in confined spaces. Plus, 5.56 has less overpenetration than 30-06 or .308.

Tavor-TSFD16.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think you would want to unload an M1A in the livingroom at 3 am , especially if you are in an apartment.

Yup. Indoors + no hearing protection = likely permanent hearing loss. Time for the NFA to get repealed so we can have suppressors

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Yup. Indoors + no hearing protection = likely permanent hearing loss. Time for the NFA to get repealed so we can have suppressors

Yes permanent because most hearing loss is permanent. However, it probably won't be significant. I've shot M4s a great number of times in confined spaces(like small rooms) with no hearing protection. It hurts and sucks, but I have no tinnitus or tested hearing loss.

But I still approve of using hearing protection as the main reason of getting suppressors off the NFA list :)

i like the idea of an m1a scout squad.. and its on my to buy list .. throw a red dot on it .. and call it a day..
i wanted a 308 rifle.. and its going to be less recoil that a bolt action remington 700p.. and more mag capacity ..

I hate to say it, but this sounds like someone who has never had an M1A. I've owned five, and let me tell you, you would be extremely lucky to get one and throw a red dot on it... Most M1As that are made these days from Springfield Armory have issues. Yes, they work, but accuracy is questionable (I had a SOCOM16 that was a 3MOA gun no matter what money you pumped into it, and I spent a ton). I had a SOCOM II that jammed all the time, and pissed everyone off at the range with its massive concussion. I had a "Loaded" M1A that was 1 sub-moa gun on the other hand, but the idea of you wielding that in an apartment is laughable. It is HUGE. I used to take it hunting and it was too big to take into the woods, I'd bump into everything, so the idea of using that for home defense makes me chuckle.

I currently have an M1A Scout which had all sorts of jamming issues till I took an armorer's course and then replaced the entire gas system, front end (different brake, gas lock, rings, etc). Now it is reliable, but the kick/flame is still spectacular. My Remington 700 LTR is a pussycat compared to the M1A Scout. I use the Scout to go bear hunting, and when you make shots your buddies call you from A MILE away to ask if you got something. And yes, they know it was you and not someone else who was shooting. It is not going to be a very good apartment gun, and is heavy and super loud, might blow all your windows out, and follow up shots are tricky unless you are a beefcake.

Also, my key warning with what you said is that putting a red dot on an M1A is horrific. The front sight base on the Scout is garbage, and makes the rifle front heavy. It attaches to barrel and heats up, so its eats cheap red dots (you can read about this online). You can get aftermarket rail from Ultimak but it is expensive and heavy (I have this installed now). You can then mount a LER scope on that in like 3x and be effective. Mounting a red dot or scope onto the receiver is pretty much impossible to do on SA brand M1As due to strange quirks, it will never be "true". I spent years and tons of money attempting this on several rifles without any really good results (this is why I went to Ultimak). If you do pull it off, it will cost you $$.

So, in a nutshell: regular M1A is too big, scout-size M1A is expensive, too loud, too heavy, and big recoil. Not an apartment gun. Also after you figure out how to mount a red dot on it which won't get burned out, you'll be out even more money.

I *highly* recommend getting a TAVOR instead as others suggested. You will love it! It is short so it will be great for CQB and home defense, fires a better/smaller round for that type of situation, has far less recoil, ammo is cheaper, and is a super fun gun at the range. I would much rather have my TAVOR in the apt for a situation than my M1A Scout. Plus the TAVOR is a great range gun, and you don't really need to clean it due to piston. M1As have pistons too, but different round and different time period, they get real dirty.

Go Tavor, the cost is about the same, possibly less due to ammo and ease of mounting red dot.

Assuming you care about the stupid boston AWB, I would just find someone/somewhere out of town to store your wares at, somehow. Then buy whatever the hell you want and just keep a handgun or two and a shotgun at your residence.

-Mike
Dead on. This is what most firearms minded people living in Boston do. But the Tavor is a great choice, SKS is not allowed.

Last edited:
My main concern about an M1A or any other large caliber rifle in an apartment is the possibility of shooting the people in the next apartment or house.

the M1A isn't the first gun to go to in my apartment, i leave that to the 21sf or the numerous handguns

but if i ever needed something more, ie a rifle to get myself out of the city .. or who knows.. i want a rifle than can do most things.. thats all.

i will go take a look at the tavor .

No offense, but if you find yourself in need to 'get out of the city', chances are you're already well and ****ed.

M1A is a cool rifle though. So is the Tavor. I had a SIG 556.

Understand that Boston is NOT a city you can "evacuate from"! You'd be trapped in stalled traffic until you die of old age!

Not in a car, maybe, but if I really wanted to get out (of just the city) I would probably use my trek. It only takes me about 30 minutes to bike to Waltham from here.

The best way to evacuate Boston is by water,and the best rifle you can have is an M1 Garand. Some people may think I am nuts,but I will take the garand over an AR any time.

Yea, I am assuming you have compelling reasons, but do you HAVE to move there?

Check out a Ruger Mini 30 (you can use your AK ammo) and it is light weight, or a Mini-14 Tactical

Sorry you have to move there. Is there anyway to avoid it?

Last edited:
Don't mean to thread jack too much, but is a muzzle device swap all that's needed to make it compliant?

And what shops in Eastern MA or southern NH with an FFL offer this service?

Last edited:
Don't mean to thread jack too much, but is a muzzle device swap all that's needed to make it compliant?

And what shops in Eastern MA or southern NH with an FFL offer this service?

Does the Tavor have a bayonet lug? (I'm assuming you are asking about the tavor) If so it will need to be removed. Also, the muzzle break will need to be pinned and welded to replace the flash hider.

Actually, now I'm wondering - is the Tavor considered to have a pistol grip for the purposes of the MA AWB? If not, then it could have more "bad" features.

I have read the rules for boston and the "villages" of boston

Me and my brother should be moving into dorchester in the next few months.

And i believe its under the boston awb.

My ak is not compliant and i must have a rifle in whatever apartment i get . Makes you feel safe:)

Im not a fan of shotguns.

I will have my glock 21sf in addition.

What other great rifles are boston compliant...

there are many options in .223

ruger mini-14 ($$)
keltec Su-16 ($$)
IWI tavor ($$$)
Sig 556 ($$)
there are more options i just can't think offhand.

other good option is a pistol carbine. personally that's what i would use since it won't penetrate 15 walls like a 223.

- - - Updated - - -

Does the Tavor have a bayonet lug? (I'm assuming you are asking about the tavor) If so it will need to be removed. Also, the muzzle break will need to be pinned and welded to replace the flash hider.

Actually, now I'm wondering - is the Tavor considered to have a pistol grip for the purposes of the MA AWB? If not, then it could have more "bad" features.

only evil feature on tavor is threaded barrel and pistol grip. once the flash hider -> pinned muzzle brake then it's fine.

Back
Top Bottom