• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

need a workbench...

I’m betting a used restaurant supply company could have some nice options. I really want a smaller metal bench just for my grinder and belt/disk sander.
Sparks and wood on top of being remote are a concern. Yes. I already plan my time so that I’m still in the shop long after the last sparks.

I’m betting a used restaurant supply company could have some nice options. I really want a smaller metal bench just for my grinder and belt/disk sander.
Sparks and wood on top of being remote are a concern. Yes. I already plan my time so that I’m still in the shop long after the last sparks.
Still have some left. 5'x 3'.

I wish my old bench fit at my house
It sits at my moms and when I visit I crank out some 12g View attachment 536723
What is in that box and do you need it?

I need a box like that but much bigger - when neatening/cleaning I am always coming across things that I say "now what the f*** does this go to?" Now I know I need to label a box "Do I need this" and throw it all in there (cause I really don't want to through it out cause I'll need it the next day), problem solved (somewhat)! Thank you.

I have an old solid oak desk from an old military airfield if that suits your need. Similar to this pic except left side is a cabinet door instead of drawers. (located in central MA)

1635528931726.png

Find a habitat for humanity restore, grab a solid core door for $25, and plop it on a two bye frame. I’ve got a couple, dead flat, rock solid, and cheap,

I got 2 nice benches from Uline over the summer and the freight to my door was very cheap.
Everytime I come across Uline website I wonder who buys their stuff as its always more expensive. We get a catalog at work a few times a year for stuff like floor mats , disposal covers, stuff like that . Boss looks at it laughs and tosses it in the trash

Everytime I come across Uline website I wonder who buys their stuff as its always more expensive. We get a catalog at work a few times a year for stuff like floor mats , disposal covers, stuff like that . Boss looks at it laughs and tosses it in the trash
I bought 2 packing tables that I use as computer desks. I love them. The weight for both was shy of 300lbs, and it was under $120 to ship it to my front door with a 18 wheeler and a pallet jack.

I can't speak for their other stuff, since I don't have any reason to buy it. But their desks are nice, reasonably priced, very sturdy, easy to assemble, packed well, shipped cheap and the wood and finish has been holding up really nice.

The desks werent cheap. No doubt about it. But after all the years of using both cheap and expensive desks, I am 100% sick of cheap desks and love the sturdy ones. I couldnt bring my old desks down with me to FL, so I had to replace them. The desks cost $350ish each 72x30 inches.

I didnt do a shit ton of research on desks, probably 2-3 hours total of shopping online and local. the uline was the best I could find and I dont regret it... yet. [rofl] I have faith I wont though.

@Palladin - your bench is getting to 877EC923-38DB-4BB4-8798-CB783AC0E032.jpeg a good use.
I am very grateful. Love it, I finally made myself a corner to enjoy :)
It is not even a matter of money- only the effort and determination. It is not a simple thing to do it in a small house.
Tomorrow I get an adi-4 yost vise. It is all coming together. Thx!

PS. Area is under the lock and key.

Last edited:
Finally got a little time to start building my new bench.
This is 10’x2’ and 36” high to the top of the 2x4. once I have my top on it should be about 37” tall.

I’ll be adding legs in the middle for support and a shelf underneath. I’ll also be building another 6’ or maybe 8’ bench on the left side of this for a L shape.
B938AC8C-BDC1-4BCE-8BEC-583253DB1930.jpeg

@Palladin - your bench is getting to View attachment 539753a good use.
I am very grateful. Love it, I finally made myself a corner to enjoy :)
It is not even a matter of money- only the effort and determination. It is not a simple thing to do it in a small house.
Tomorrow I get an adi-4 yost vise. It is all coming together. Thx!

PS. Area is under the lock and key.
I see you ended up getting the Berry’s tumbler kit. Great deal.

The top, you can laminate together yourself. It's easy, and you can get maple almost anywhere.
I laminated a bench top from 2x4's, sliced off the top quarter inch with the table saw so there wouldn't be grooves. Polyurethane. Then legs made from 2x4s. Solid and good looking.

Recently made a desk using a slab of butcherblock countertop and legs of 3/4" black iron pipe. Best looking and working desk I ever had. Though it does not have drawers.

I find wood way more ergonomic and better material to work on. Metal is good if you need to clean it afterwards, for sure, but for household projects- wood only.

Also, as a same topic- I found those lights and they are great:
LED Garage Lights 2 Pack 150W 15000LM with 8 Deformable LED Panels, Screw in E26/E27 Basement Light Ceiling LED Shop Light, Adjustable Garage Lighting for Workshop Warehouse Workbench Attic, 6500K Amazon product ASIN B092QD8CTWView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092QD8CTW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_SQH5W1771Y9E3YF4C0SN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Those look really cool. Don't like 6500K though. Wonder if they make them in 3000K...

Finally got a little time to start building my new bench.
This is 10’x2’ and 36” high to the top of the 2x4. once I have my top on it should be about 37” tall.

I’ll be adding legs in the middle for support and a shelf underneath. I’ll also be building another 6’ or maybe 8’ bench on the left side of this for a L shape.
View attachment 539870
Nice , taking up to much floor space for equipment. …..

Those look really cool. Don't like 6500K though. Wonder if they make them in 3000K...
they are great - i got both shining above the bench and it gives a ton of very even light with no shade. it is not too blueish, fine to work with.

Nice , taking up to much floor space for equipment. …..
And I made it bigger.
The biggest pain in the ass is making individual measurements for the legs because the concrete floor isn’t quite level.

The only equipment I’ll need down there is my XL650, case prep area, bench vise and an area to clean and build more guns. Everything else can go in the garage. 6D3822C0-A6FD-4AB5-9BFE-9BDBD39C678F.jpeg

And I made it bigger.
The biggest pain in the ass is making individual measurements for the legs because the concrete floor isn’t quite level.

The only equipment I’ll need down there is my XL650, case prep area, bench vise and an area to clean and build more guns. Everything else can go in the garage.View attachment 539935
Did you consider something like this so you could just make all the legs the same length?
Amazon product ASIN B08ZN769GLView: https://smile.amazon.com/Leveling-Adjustable-Furniture-Installation-Workbench/dp/B08ZN769GL/ref=sr_1_7?crid=JYUDIVBHILWL&keywords=leveling+feet+heavy+duty&qid=1636252219&sprefix=leveling+feet%2Caps%2C167&sr=8-7

I’m not a big fan on leveling feet on work benches. I deal with all kinds at work on machinery and they all seem to loosen up over time or rot out depending on the environment. I don’t find them nearly as stable vs having a 4x4 post flat on the floor and the rear stud will be anchored to the wall once I frame it.

I’m not a big fan on leveling feet on work benches. I deal with all kinds at work on machinery and they all seem to loosen up over time or rot out depending on the environment. I don’t find them nearly as stable vs having a 4x4 post flat on the floor and the rear stud will be anchored to the wall once I frame it.
Yeah, for really heavy duty work (like removing that FN 509 pin), flat against the floor is probably best. I do use 2 of these per leg (8 pack is perfect for that on a 4 leg table), one on each side of the leg. With the lock nuts tightened up good and a dab of blue Loctite they stay pretty stable.

More progress, got the lower shelf framed in. The shelf is 16” deep and 12” off the floor so my bins will fit under. I can comfortable sit here without my feet hitting the lower shelf.

I need to put 1-2 more legs under for added support and then I can put down the 3/4” plywood on the shelf.

I still haven’t decided what kind of top I want to go with. 7E2B6BA1-F58E-499A-B20C-905579DBE5AA.jpeg 608ADCE3-046C-40F7-A398-4F0635690150.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom