New Acquisitions for April 2012

Just picked this up............

Russian Saiga AK-74 (5.45) with the SSAK slide fire bump stock & 2100+ rounds of ammo for all of the full auto fun ahead

004-1.jpg

definitively post some vids

Ordered a Savage Axis, .223 through Dick's Sporting Goods, today, (after M&M's didn't want to sell me one, and tried to push me into something more expensive instead...[thinking]), should have it in about a week or so.

I've got a Sightron SII 3-9x42 that I'll stick on top once it comes in, can't wait to get it, and get out to the range!

meth0d said:
Ordered a Savage Axis, .223 through Dick's Sporting Goods, today, (after M&M's didn't want to sell me one, and tried to push me into something more expensive instead...[thinking]), should have it in about a week or so.

I love mine (Axis Xp .223) ordered it at a local shop.... Did you get the kit with a scope and you're just replacing the scope? If so i'd be interested in the make/model of the one it came with.... Supposedly Dick's buys cheap scopes from china and sends 'em to savage to be put on Dick's rifles..... Not that i believe anything a gunshop owner tells me ;)

Using a spring and set screw from Ace Hardware (under $2) i was able to get the trigger pull down from the stock 30lbs to just under 4.... Brought it to the shop i bought it to use their pull weight guage... I didn't want to keep bothering so i stopped at 4lbs.... In-laws got me an adjustable trigger for it for my birthday (rifle basix i think....) Now it fires by thought....

As for ammo, 5.56 is no problem, Wylde chamber + strong action = GTG

Mine seems to like heavier projectiles, 50gr Rem UMC from wally world sucks... 55gr is slightly better (about 3" at 100yds)
I tried 62gr Win "ranger" and got groups under an inch....

Haven't tried match grade ammo.... But in a month or so i'll be experimenting with my own loads.....

If you decide you hate the thing, lemme know when trash day in your neighborhood is :)

Sent from my HTC EVO running Synergy+Godmode using Forum Runner

I love mine (Axis Xp .223) ordered it at a local shop.... Did you get the kit with a scope and you're just replacing the scope? If so i'd be interested in the make/model of the one it came with.... Supposedly Dick's buys cheap scopes from china and sends 'em to savage to be put on Dick's rifles..... Not that i believe anything a gunshop owner tells me ;)

Glad to hear another positive review, everyone that has one seems to love them! I ordered just the rifle, since already have the Sightron, rings, and bases, I figured I'd try to save as much as possible on the rifle.

Using a spring and set screw from Ace Hardware (under $2) i was able to get the trigger pull down from the stock 30lbs to just under 4.... Brought it to the shop i bought it to use their pull weight guage... I didn't want to keep bothering so i stopped at 4lbs.... In-laws got me an adjustable trigger for it for my birthday (rifle basix i think....) Now it fires by thought....

That's good news too, one of the sales reps at M&Ms was telling me to stay away since it doesn't have the accu-trigger. I had read a few threads about the Rifle Basix trigger, and see that Timney makes one for ~$105 so I'm not too worried about that.

As for ammo, 5.56 is no problem, Wylde chamber + strong action = GTG

Mine seems to like heavier projectiles, 50gr Rem UMC from wally world sucks... 55gr is slightly better (about 3" at 100yds)
I tried 62gr Win "ranger" and got groups under an inch....

Haven't tried match grade ammo.... But in a month or so i'll be experimenting with my own loads.....

If you decide you hate the thing, lemme know when trash day in your neighborhood is :)

Sent from my HTC EVO running Synergy+Godmode using Forum Runner

Yet more good news! I have a crap load of XM193 5.56mm for my AR-15, so that's great the Axis has a Wylde chamber too.

Interesting that it doesn't seem to like the lighter bullets, I was reading (over here) the 1:9 twist should stabilize the lighter bullets from 40 grains up to the heavier 73s. Curious to see what mine will like!

Thanks for the info, I'm betting I will love the rifle, but I will let you know if I don't! [laugh]

I don't know refurb or not, how would I be able to tell.
Year is nowhere to be found. number match all over except gas tube and piston that don't have numbers stamped but electropenciled to match.
on the receiver there are two triangles one has 'II' or '11' in it and other one has 'M'
there is also circular stamp with 'Я'
the rest is illegible except star on the receiver next to serial

only disappointment is that bolt face and carrier have noticeable pitting, but other than that metal is in immaculate condition. bluing is 95%
varnish is started to peel off in the handguard retainer area and near butt stock plate.

Last edited:
I don't know refurb or not, how would I be able to tell.
Year is nowhere to be found. number match all over except gas tube and piston that don't have numbers stamped but electropenciled to match.
on the receiver there are two triangles one has 'II' or '11' in it and other one has 'M'
there is also circular stamp with 'Я'
the rest is illegible except star on the receiver next to serial

only disappointment is that bolt face and carrier have noticeable pitting, but other than that metal is in immaculate condition. bluing is 95%
varnish is started to peel off in the handguard retainer area and near butt stock plate.

Sounds like a nice 56 Tula and probably not refurbed. 56 was the last date for Russia and were produced with no date stamp, just a small star on the side of the receiver.

Id leave the finish alone but if it really bothers you, you could take some denatured alcohol on a clean rag and gently rub the flaking area until it starts to blend in.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Sounds like a nice 56 Tula and probably not refurbed. 56 was the last date for Russia and were produced with no date stamp, just a small star on the side of the receiver.

Id leave the finish alone but if it really bothers you, you could take some denatured alcohol on a clean rag and gently rub the flaking area until it starts to blend in.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

i'm more bummed about pitting than some barely noticeable flaking. [frown]

Picked up this used Remington 1100 with a 28" barrel this morning up at kittery, felt I needed something a bit more suited for skeet without breaking the bank [smile]

Havnt even gotten it to the range yet and its already drawn blood. Was cleaning it and swabbing out the inside of the action and hit the bolt release [hmmm] Nearly broke my trigger finger and put a nice big hole in it. Was certainly the most of my own blood ive seen in a while, but anything that can make me bleed has my respect [laugh]

Membership has it's privileges. Today I picked up my group buy lowers.

Wait, did he say lowers?

Consecutive serial numbers too.

Mother-of-God.jpg

Back
Top Bottom