• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New ATI 1911 Cosmoline Cleaning

Just bought a new ATI 1911 and it came from the factory with a fair amount of cosmoline in it. This is the same practice that Armscor uses on the Rock Island 1911s. My question is, is mineral spirits really the best way to get it off? Will it cause damage to the bluing on the gun? Does anyone here have any other methods? I'm assuming that just cleaning it with CLP won't get it all off the gun.

you can also boil the smaller parts in hot water the cosmo will leech of into the water

this works really well, did it on a bunch of ak mags. beware, the cosmo sometimes adheres to whatever you boil the water in after you're done with the parts. in my first attempt i used a beat up sauce pan which turned out to be the gf's favorite. now i had to clean the pan when when i was done...not good. the next time i boiled water in an old tupperware bowl i had laying around in the microwave, then tossed my stuff in, and boiled it again in the micro. this time when i was done i just tossed the bowl and no cleanup after. results may vary but it worked for me.

I have used odorless mineral spirits on milsurp rifles and it works fine with no ill effects that I can see. Why not call manufacturer and ask what they recommend?

I cook off the cosmoline on an old gas grill. Low temp with a foil pan underneath to catch the drippings and it melts right off.

No it's not gobbed on there, I'd say probably a thin layer. Assuming the brake cleaner won't harm the bluing I might give this a try.

I can't speak for the blueing process used on the ATI, but I have used break cleaner on other blued firearms (for removing similar packing substances, removing paint, and for certain other cleaning operations) without damaging bluing. I do try to keep break cleaner off of plastic parts- because I have damaged plastic items with it in the past.

keep the parts off the bottom of the pot to keep from effecting the heat treat i.e. like a double boiler

I'm going to try the mineral spirits method tonight. After reading over many forums for hours and hours it seems like the easiest method. My main concern was it harming the finish on my brand new firearm. From what I read online it won't due any harm as long as I through some lube on it right after I'm done. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4fpmkoV9PI This video is from Armscor who packs their firearms similar to ATI with cosmoline on them. I'm just going to do what is shown in the video.

Basically followed the same instructions in the Armscor Rock Island cleaning video and it came out perfect. The only thing I did differently from the video was take the grips off and scrub the whole frame. I used "Fantasic" a household cleaner to clean off the wood grips. The finish on my gun didn't look nearly as ashy as the RIA after the mineral spirits. If anyone here buys a new 1911 from the Philippines I would defiantly recommend this method of cleaning the factory cosmoline off your new firearm.

Back
Top Bottom