• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New barrel installation on a Mauser K98 , poll added

Ok what cal should the new barrel be

• Total voters
He uses the gutter to boil the long parts which converts the hematite to magnetite for conservation purposes. For bluing he uses a steam chamber in the process of rust bluing. With rust bluing you could solder the parts on the barrel when in the white then blue the assembly as the heat isn't sufficient to melt the solder. Hot salt bluing will melt the solder.
This was my thoughts as well. I could get it all set pop the barrel off and do the rust blue.

Believe it or not, you can do a really good job with cold blue.
i have done my share of cold blue. For many years my dad would grab a mess of a 22 out of the gunsmith corner at kittery gave us something to do over the winter. Long before internet and digital cameras. I will most likely try rust blue , will be rounding up the cabinet of some sort, boiling tank and might make up a burner.
Scraps are a bit harder to come across lately and time to the scrap yards does not come often.
I will get there.
1st step get the barrel and install it and the sights.
i have to round up some soft wire brushes also.
might grab a carding wheel. Its going to take a little plann ing . i dont get a lot of uninterrupted time.
last thing I need is to pull a full stop half way through the rust blue process.

played around with DIY hack rust blue technique this poor sight has had so many different finishes over the years.

4 rapid applications.If I let it “rust” more and boil it longer but it was just a test

Attachments

• 3FF4D612-A409-4BF4-BB68-D50CD8A4FDC3.jpeg
    3FF4D612-A409-4BF4-BB68-D50CD8A4FDC3.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 5
  • BA35DFCC-E53D-446D-9F96-0E01F02FB4D5.jpeg
    BA35DFCC-E53D-446D-9F96-0E01F02FB4D5.jpeg
    206.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 6A9777A0-F11B-4076-9D8C-AD28E4AA6B1D.jpeg
    6A9777A0-F11B-4076-9D8C-AD28E4AA6B1D.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Correct action wrench came in so moving along. Sometimes barrels are not that tight and they break free with little effort.
I dont have a proper mounting spot for the barrel vise here at home so off to work it goes.

Attachments

• F7402841-1519-42AF-808C-7B3336274279.jpeg
    F7402841-1519-42AF-808C-7B3336274279.jpeg
    1,013.6 KB · Views: 7
Barrel came today, packaged well from apex. Looks good , cleaning it up it should look real nice. Its no match grade barrel but should do just fine.
Came in light oil and dry grease in bore. Will do s bore scope video when its all cleaned up. Barrel did not want to thread on so I started lapping it. Between the heavy park on the barrel threaded end and the 75yrs of what ever in the receiver threads its just a bit snug

Well im almost there, just need to decide on the barrel finish. Rust Blue, Cold Blue , Park ? Or leave it in the white ?
Then I can solder the sights in place and finish it up.
Ran into a few hicups and one issue I did not see and Im not sure what Im going to do about it. The barrel “shank” where the front sight rest is about 1/8” longer than the original thus pushing the upper hand guard forward. Access to a lathe would make short work of the fix but thats not happening. So I might fit the handguard or get a new stock set from Menelli and fit that? 6A99175B-5D14-48B9-9F78-82DAA900773E.jpeg

Attachments

• 789E215D-75A1-46DA-A149-9E2E3389C9CD.jpeg
    789E215D-75A1-46DA-A149-9E2E3389C9CD.jpeg
    424 KB · Views: 6
  • 183C5D55-C1EB-4506-84F3-8B0E84B0EF86.jpeg
    183C5D55-C1EB-4506-84F3-8B0E84B0EF86.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 2FE30734-7AF7-4F46-9BBB-930CDE15EBE4.jpeg
    2FE30734-7AF7-4F46-9BBB-930CDE15EBE4.jpeg
    559.5 KB · Views: 5
Whatever color the predominant finish is.
t
Mix bag of Russian capture goodness.
Reciever is blue, band and bayo lug is part blue part Russian grill paint.
Some parts are almost in the white.
I might just grab ehat ever cold blue is in stock at the local shop?

Last edited:
Looks pretty sexy in the white, but I'd be worried about corrosion if it weren't meticulously oiled.
I found the Birchwood casey cold blue to give a better result than the Brownells Oxpho Blue.

Looks pretty sexy in the white, but I'd be worried about corrosion if it weren't meticulously oiled.
I found the Birchwood casey cold blue to give a better result than the Brownells Oxpho Blue.
Yeah been using BC for years on small projects.
my lack of tanks and uninterrupted time keeps me from rust blue.
My “just want to shoot this thing” is also over riding any other methods
I just hope the BC cold blue on the shelf at the store is not that old. Plus I hope they are open!

Went with Perma blue, it works well if you follow the instructions. I have about 12 applications now. I dont think it will get much darker. The barrel is far from smooth the machine marks are like a super fine file. So far I like the color. Solder up the sights tomorrow after the oil soak and cure.
The 2” in front of the receiver are parkerized. I decided to leave that alone once the woods on it blends in pretty well
4D706819-146A-47B6-A038-DEBE05249C82.jpeg 3A0F8FBB-F148-46CE-8739-7DA55847A9D1.jpeg

Not the best of light. But It came out better thsn I thought it would. New barrel blued matches well.
6FA2CC8D-C39F-4D11-94FE-DF4B8230A36A.jpeg 341E6169-916F-4DCD-B3BC-C3C0839B4103.jpeg Sights soldered on with 50/50 solder and flux Im sure If I was more skilled I could have had less solder showing at the seem.
In hind sight should have used the solder paste its ready to test run and hope to do so tomorrow

i need to fit the upper guard a bit better plus I want to show a friend the entire barrel

Crossed fingers , trying to get out today! Friken windy today!
The hood and sight are original blue so I was worried the barrel would look "to new" with fresh blue. The fine machine marks help the look. Its not overly polished looking. My camera skills actually hurt it.
Trigger needs a little work , might polish it up a little or eventually come across a aftermarket set cheap enough for me to bite.

My friend went all bat shit crazy .....thats awsome/cool ! You should have done the cock on open conversion, bent the bolt, blue printed the receiver, very excited dude!
He then asked me if he bought a old spanish mauser hes been eyeing for $275 how much to do what I did. i giggled and said "well im not a gun smith so I cant do it but I had quotes from $500-$1000 just to do the barrel swap and sight install"
His excitement dwindled he looks at me with slight confusion and says "dude who the f*** would pay that much to rebarrel a pos mauser"

He asked me what it cost me. i told him, time .

Over all it did not cost much doing it myself.
Barrel was $125 shipped
Wrench to fit receiver was $69
Fresh cold blue $9
Some 0000 3m pads $6 - these are white and actually say -replaces 0000 steel whool.

i dont think I spent more. ?

In hind sight Im thinking I,should have went with the new LW barrel but i saved $150 this way and if I can hold the black and splash a lot of tens I,will be happy.

Last edited:
Gotta be warmer in your neck of the woods if you get the Mauser to the range. Was 10 when I left the house and shot the match from an outside position with wind and a temperature in the teens. Shot a cross fire which I haven't done in years. Oops.

Even in the pics which you say don't really show well, that looks extremely well matched. If I were ever to take on a similar project I'd want to copy what you did as best I could.

Range report or it didn't happen. :p

Gotta be warmer in your neck of the woods if you get the Mauser to the range. Was 10 when I left the house and shot the match from an outside position with wind and a temperature in the teens. Shot a cross fire which I haven't done in years. Oops.

Even in the pics which you say don't really show well, that looks extremely well matched. If I were ever to take on a similar project I'd want to copy what you did as best I could.

Windy , cold sun is just over the back stop and in my eyes as usual. I fired 2 test shots marked on target then just proceeded to shoot 10, well DQ my ass I shot 11!
Any how for a brand new barrel and only 11 shots of M80 I cant say im disapointed.
I kkow this thing will shoot especially with some nice Noslers or SMK . I have some 135 gn SMK to run through it.

i wish I had more time and a good spotter I would have loved to track each shot. I shot 2 and took a walk to make sure I was on paper.
94/100/4X i will take it.

1D535BA5-4A9A-46EB-B6A0-9DDF7D1D1970.jpeg The mauser sights are pretty close to my eyes so I can see them well enough. I think once the barrel is seasoned and I have a decent load worked up it will be a contender.

Yeah its like 28’F or so , wind made it a bit not fun. Ive been a f***ing pussy this year with the cold. Its just getting to me.

Yeah its like 28’F or so , wind made it a bit not fun. Ive been a f***ing pussy this year with the cold. Its just getting to me.

All you coastal area pussies and your bitching about the cold that's always 10-15 degrees warmer than here. I bet all your tactical lumberjacks are sitting in front of TV's with PS5's.

All you coastal area pussies and your bitching about the cold that's always 10-15 degrees warmer than here. I bet all your tactical lumberjacks are sitting in front of TV's with PS5's.
Well tour not getting the coastal breeze , you got a “dry” cold!

I was a bit surprised how much copper this barrel picked up about half way to the muzzle. For only 10 rounds. Took a a few cleanings to get it off. Heck for a surplus military barrel its doing well.
Itching to get some of those SMKs loaded up.

Back
Top Bottom