New firearm inventory software in Beta - Need your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something else to add to the Ammo tab. Group Size is OK, but I do like to describe how the round performed out of the gun so I can remember when loading next time. This is typically something like "Light" or "Hot". It may be good to put in a description field for something like this instead of Group Size. Just my two cents.

Definitely a desc field, sure. And a dropdown box the user can populate with light or Hot, etc. Maybe an identifier field for "CCW", "Werewolves", "Pinshoots", "Practice", etc.

One thing i'm considering is to keep the ammo tab simple and not designed for reloaders... and making an expanded version as part of an addon to the core app. Say maybe a ballistics calc as another tab in the addon, or maybe with the Range Log tab.

Anyone at the fishercats game? Come say hi - section 111 row g, green ballcap on.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk and Red Bulls

New release: v0.95 - last version before 1.0 - I decided to wait to let people get the free copies a little longer, so last chance!

* Tweaks to registration system
* Tweaks to how Beta users are detected
* Splashscreen added (still need a good banner graphic though)
* RSS feeds use 10 min timer
* Help menu option changed to point to the Help webpage
* You can add an image for accessories

I say cease development of the ammo function completely. In 95% of the country ammunition is not an item thats tracked or recorded in any way. No ID required. (Provided you look old enough)
I'd suggest you focus your development efforts on features that will appeal to FFLs and collectors. Resist the urge for feature creep.

Also, once you go to 1.0, I'd suggest you split it into 2 products with different feature sets.
1) Simple product with low cost of entry for C&R FFLs.
2) More sophisticated product for 01 or 07 FFLs.
3) I don't know the answer to this question, but are there any features missing that an 07 (Manufacturer) might want??

Think of it this way, in this era of "free" software, how much will an average joe gun owner pay for something like this?
Now contrast it with what an FFL is willing to pay for something like this.
All the large dealers already have software from established players. I don't know what they cost, but if you could come in with a solution that cost less, you might make inroads.

By "solution", I mean software as well as hardware integration (you don't have to sell the hardware) and most importantly, backup.
Small dealers major barrier to using electronic bound book systems is their fear of maintaining a system that meets the ATF's backup and data retention requirements. To get the small dealers, you need a way around that.

Finally, if you could sit down with your friendly local ATF person and get a letter saying that if implemented as recommended, it meets their requirements for an electronic bound book. That would be great.
I recently met with an ATF agent from Hartford who covered CT and MA, and maybe more, and he was surprisingly relaxed. He was also VERY helpful with the questions I had. When I mentioned the MA government and their draconian requirements he literally rolled his eyes.

Don
(Currently unemployed IT Project Mgr. who used to run development projects from needs analysis out through rollout, training and data migration)

p.s. Once you begin selling software and offering paid support, remote access to the hosting systems are essential. I'd suggest you look into teamviewer. ( teamviewer.com ) A friend of mine owns a hardware store and the little point of sale software company uses TeamViewer to support them. It works FLAWLESSLY. Because each machine establishes an OUTGOING connection to the TeamViewer corporate computers that manage the handshake, it works with almost any firewall. It may even work on port 80.

Last edited:
The more I look at this, the more I think of things.

Some states require that dealers keep a separate bound book for their use. If you want to offer a complete solution, future developmental consideration might want to be given to documenting state requirements and building to meet them.

Some state requirements might be impossible to meet. For example, CT requires a buyer to sign, in ink, the state bound book upon receipt of the firearm. This makes the use of an electronic BB impractical.

Don

CT requires a buyer to sign, in ink, the state bound book upon receipt of the firearm. This makes the use of an electronic BB impractical.

Do you think printing the data for the state's book onto label stock and affixing that, then signing, would satisfy the requirement? Not unlike the log you sign at CVS saying you picked up the Rx.

I say cease development of the ammo function completely. In 95% of the country ammunition is not an item thats tracked or recorded in any way. No ID required. (Provided you look old enough)
I'd suggest you focus your development efforts on features that will appeal to FFLs and collectors. Resist the urge for feature creep.

Here's the thing; MGDB isn't just a bound book. It's for average Joe shooters -- MyGunDB is kind of a play on words. It doesn't mean a DB for guns, it means a DB for gun stuff. Ammo, reloading data and a range log are the top 3 things asked for by most users.

I DO need to organize it all better though, and I have ideas for that I will be implementing.

The other key is that providing features that make a user open the app regularly is a good thing -- users use the app twice right now. Once where they decide they like it and the second is to enter their data. After that they forget about it.

Also, once you go to 1.0, I'd suggest you split it into 2 products with different feature sets.
1) Simple product with low cost of entry for C&R FFLs.
2) More sophisticated product for 01 or 07 FFLs.
3) I don't know the answer to this question, but are there any features missing that an 07 (Manufacturer) might want??

That's the idea, actually. Plus a Police version, and one for Ranges.

Think of it this way, in this era of "free" software, how much will an average joe gun owner pay for something like this?
Now contrast it with what an FFL is willing to pay for something like this.
All the large dealers already have software from established players. I don't know what they cost, but if you could come in with a solution that cost less, you might make inroads.

$500-$10,000. heh Big range.

By "solution", I mean software as well as hardware integration (you don't have to sell the hardware) and most importantly, backup.
Small dealers major barrier to using electronic bound book systems is their fear of maintaining a system that meets the ATF's backup and data retention requirements. To get the small dealers, you need a way around that.

I'm not going to provide any support for hardware. But everything else is cake.

Finally, if you could sit down with your friendly local ATF person and get a letter saying that if implemented as recommended, it meets their requirements for an electronic bound book. That would be great.
I recently met with an ATF agent from Hartford who covered CT and MA, and maybe more, and he was surprisingly relaxed. He was also VERY helpful with the questions I had. When I mentioned the MA government and their draconian requirements he literally rolled his eyes.

Heh yep, already plan on doing that. Once 1.0 is out I'm going to be sitting down with an ATF agent for that reason.

Don
(Currently unemployed IT Project Mgr. who used to run development projects from needs analysis out through rollout, training and data migration)

p.s. Once you begin selling software and offering paid support, remote access to the hosting systems are essential. I'd suggest you look into teamviewer. ( teamviewer.com )

Yeah, that's a great app. I use reverse VNC to do the same thing normally, but yeah.

Hey, thanks for the feedback! It's a lot to think on heh

The more I look at this, the more I think of things.

Some states require that dealers keep a separate bound book for their use. If you want to offer a complete solution, future developmental consideration might want to be given to documenting state requirements and building to meet them.

Some state requirements might be impossible to meet. For example, CT requires a buyer to sign, in ink, the state bound book upon receipt of the firearm. This makes the use of an electronic BB impractical.

Don

That's something to thinking about, definitely, but for right now state reqs are a bit out of my scope -- it's something I'll get feedback on from users though (So far there are just under 1000 users, for those interested).

What's the statebound book look like for CT? Anyone have a copy of one?

Its a lot like the Federal one, except that when a gun is "booked out" to a non dealer, the transferee has to actually sign it.
The federal BB is never seen by the transferee.

Note I use the term transferee rather than buyer, because if a dealer takes a gun in for repairs or consignment, it has to be booked in and booked out when the repairs are completed or if the consignment is returned to the original owner. I dont know if it matters to your, but in the case of repairs a 4370 doesn't need to be completed. In the case of a gun left on consignment, a 4370 and Brady background check (or state equivalent) needs to be done to return it back to the original owner.

Don

Last edited:
Its a lot like the Federal one, except that when a gun is "booked out" to a non dealer, the transferee has to actually sign it.
The federal BB is never seen by the transferee.

Note I use the term transferee rather than buyer, because if a dealer takes a gun in for repairs or consignment, it has to be booked in and booked out when the repairs are completed or if the consignment is returned to the original owner.

Don

Well, in theory then printing an A&D report and signing that should work. I'd have to provide a space for it though and make some other changes. Hmm. Something to think about.

What is your vision for the "Image" field under the Accessories tab? I don't know what could go there that isn't already in the Pictures tab.

What is your vision for the "Image" field under the Accessories tab? I don't know what could go there that isn't already in the Pictures tab.

An image of the accessory item itself -- for example my ammo pouch from my 91/30... I don't feel an image for it should go into the normal pictures tab and instead have it in the Accessories tab linked to it. I'm only allowing 1 image for now per accessory.

An image of the accessory item itself -- for example my ammo pouch from my 91/30... I don't feel an image for it should go into the normal pictures tab and instead have it in the Accessories tab linked to it. I'm only allowing 1 image for now per accessory.

Oh, I didn't realize it was tied to each accessory. It looked like just one image.
Thanks

Oh, I didn't realize it was tied to each accessory. It looked like just one image.
Thanks

People have been requesting a Picture spot for everything it seems -- even for ammo!

Getting ready to push 1.0 tonight/tomorrow. So close!

Hey gang,

Got a question for you IRT forum etiquette... I'm about to release the 1.0 version tonight/tomorrow morning and wondered if I should start a new thread for it? This one has gotten rather long and it might be confusing for new readers to figure out what features have been implemented, what bugs squished, etc, due to the rather Red Bullish rush for releasing code. It's only been like 1.5 months heh.

Plus the subject would be wrong, since it would no longer be Beta (though there will continue to be a beta branch so I can work on code and not break anything with the 1.0 version).

If it's no longer Beta then I see no reason why you can't start another thread. I agree with Exousia, you should link the new thread with this one though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom