New firearm inventory software in Beta - Need your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
when you add a new item, can it be made to go right into edit mode?

selecting 'add' then 'edit' seems a bit redundant.

A nice job so far !!!!

Added for the next release. Clicking Add now switches to the editing mode. And thanks for the kind words!

I like it!!! one thing I would personally like to see is a notes section for each gun. Also I am dabbling in gunsmithing so a parts list would be great too. That way I could bring up a particular gun and see if it is ready to take to the range, problems I have encountered and a list of parts to order and parts that have been ordered with a dollar figure on said ordered parts. Just my .02

> Would be nice on the Purchase tab to have two separate entries for STATE and FEDERAL license numbers for the seller.

Hmm. I need to redesign that section to free up more space and I can add that (along with PO numbers and stuff)

I was gonna ask about that too.
As an aside... if you only record one, which is more important?

Great app, though, I will have more feedback once I use it a bit.

I dig the concept.
I need to make note of the arms soon!
I'll check this out at home when I get time.

On the Purchased/Sold tab, it would be nice if, when you select a business from the dropdown, it automatically populated the info you plugged in before.
Right now I have to put in the lic# and address info all over.

ETA: Also, I read further back in the thread that each entry has its own unique ID number. Is there a way to see these?
I'd like to be able to do so.

Last edited:
On the Purchased/Sold tab, it would be nice if, when you select a business from the dropdown, it automatically populated the info you plugged in before.
Right now I have to put in the lic# and address info all over.

That's the plan, actually, which is why the Business name is a dropdown, for example. It will definitely be implemented!

ETA: Also, I read further back in the thread that each entry has its own unique ID number. Is there a way to see these?
I'd like to be able to do so.

Do you want to see them in the Inventory screen? Or say when you edit/view a firearm? I'm trying to get a feel for the best way to make everyone happy. Maybe I'll have it display in the inventory list again, but an Identifier tag is used instead if non-empty. That would make both sides happy maybe. I'm up for suggestions!

I was gonna ask about that too.
As an aside... if you only record one, which is more important?

I guess it depends. I'm a C&R so i HAVE to include what the ATF requires. But I'll make it store both.

So the way I think I'll manage this is to make the P/S tab display like the general tab - an Edit mode and a View mode. Edit takes up too much space, so if I make it like General, I can easily have enough space.

Come to think of it, any suggestions for field length on the current P/S screen? I can make them shorter to free up space too.

Great app, though, I will have more feedback once I use it a bit.

Awesome, thanks! I'm loving the feedback! Nobody has told me to go play in traffic yet, so I'll take that as a good sign!

I like it!!! one thing I would personally like to see is a notes section for each gun.

Hmm. I kinda figured the Description field would be used for that. If enough people want a notes section, I can easily add a whole new tab with sections for stuff like additional notes, for example. Where would you want the notes section at?

Also I am dabbling in gunsmithing so a parts list would be great too. That way I could bring up a particular gun and see if it is ready to take to the range, problems I have encountered and a list of parts to order and parts that have been ordered with a dollar figure on said ordered parts. Just my .02

I'm planning on adding an accessories tab shortly, but getting into parts it like setting up a second database. I like the idea and will probably add it, maybe as part of an addon. I'll add it to my list but it's not something that can happen any time soon -- but eventually!

Do you want to see them in the Inventory screen? Or say when you edit/view a firearm? I'm trying to get a feel for the best way to make everyone happy. Maybe I'll have it display in the inventory list again, but an Identifier tag is used instead if non-empty. That would make both sides happy maybe. I'm up for suggestions!

I think if I had to choose one, I'd prefer to see it when you view the firearm. But in the inventory list would be great too.
Not sure how feasible it would be to be able to have a spreadsheet-style listing where you could show fields displayed, then when you double-click the firearm in question it opens the full info in a separate window, but that would rock.

Like be able to have a list with selectable/sortable fields, then be able to drill-down into one individual item. (does that make sense?)

I think if I had to choose one, I'd prefer to see it when you view the firearm. But in the inventory list would be great too.
Not sure how feasible it would be to be able to have a spreadsheet-style listing where you could show fields displayed, then when you double-click the firearm in question it opens the full info in a separate window, but that would rock.

Like be able to have a list with selectable/sortable fields, then be able to drill-down into one individual item. (does that make sense?)

Actually, that's what the inventory list pretty much is, except I only have it display one field. I could make one display all the fields in a wide grid like you want, but where?

I originally planned on having reports do that and then you had the option to print it, but I am making reports straight to print... I could change that down the road. Wouldn't be high priority just yet as I'm still screwing with the appearance and how I want to present data in an organized manor, but once that's sorted out I could do it.

Actually, that's what the inventory list pretty much is, except I only have it display one field. I could make one display all the fields in a wide grid like you want, but where?

I originally planned on having reports do that and then you had the option to print it, but I am making reports straight to print... I could change that down the road. Wouldn't be high priority just yet as I'm still screwing with the appearance and how I want to present data in an organized manor, but once that's sorted out I could do it.

That could just be a "me" thing, then... I'm used to inventory of computers/printers/etc.... where I can sort by make/model/etc.... so, I was thinking sort by make/model/caliber/etc.
But, that's nowhere near a big deal. :)

One thing I did just notice, though, is that if I go to Backup DB, it doesn't give me a way to browse for a place to save. The dropdown just has common options and recent places.
(Right now I'm trying on OSX, I haven't put it on one of my windows VMs yet to see if it's different there.)

That could just be a "me" thing, then... I'm used to inventory of computers/printers/etc.... where I can sort by make/model/etc.... so, I was thinking sort by make/model/caliber/etc.
But, that's nowhere near a big deal. :)

I'll keep thinking on it and see if I can find a better place, but I guess as a report it would work. Hmm.

One thing I did just notice, though, is that if I go to Backup DB, it doesn't give me a way to browse for a place to save. The dropdown just has common options and recent places.
(Right now I'm trying on OSX, I haven't put it on one of my windows VMs yet to see if it's different there.)

That's odd. I'm using OSX currently and it gives me a box to set the save location (I run OSX at work, Windows at home and linux as an alternate at both). Can you send me a screenshot?

As a heads up, I have a company event tonight for my real job (Yay, free drinks!) so I won't be doing any coding tonight.

Keep the feedback coming, though! You guys have been awesome so far and have given me a ton to think about implementation-wise. I'll be peeking at the forum and making notes though tonight and tomorrow I'll get back to coding.

I promise!

That's odd. I'm using OSX currently and it gives me a box to set the save location (I run OSX at work, Windows at home and linux as an alternate at both). Can you send me a screenshot?

Nevermind on that one, it was my own mental deficiency. heh. Doing too many things at once.

Nevermind on that one, it was my own mental deficiency. heh. Doing too many things at once.

Haha I know that feeling! Had me worried though.

Do note, I think currently the IMPORT function isn't working properly. It's not importing dates and has to be updated for new fields I'm adding. It is top on my list, right under fixing the reports tomorrow.

Under the Purchase/Sold tab Michigan isn't available as a state.

Also is it possible to make it auto fill the rest of the information under the purchase/ sold tab if you select the same Business?

Last edited:
Under the Purchase/Sold tab Michigan isn't available as a state.

Wishful thinking on my part ;) Seriously though, thanks, added it for next release

Also is it possible to make it auto fill the rest of the information under the purchase/ sold tab if you select the same Business?

Yes, that will be added. The way I want to handle it is through a separate table in the database and I'm just not ready to add that yet. but yes, absolutely it definitely will be added.

Oh, yeah, since I got home early tonight from the event, I'll be coding tonight.

Any chance you have experience developing for mobile platforms? If you I've got some ideas I'd like to ping past you for some mobile apps with some features that could perhaps be designed to integrate with this app.

Any chance you have experience developing for mobile platforms? If you I've got some ideas I'd like to ping past you for some mobile apps with some features that could perhaps be designed to integrate with this app.

I don't, aside from just tinkering around, but AIR can be used on iphones and droids so in theory I could do it. I'd love to hear your ideas, even if it isn't something I can do currently, it's something i can work towards. I do plan on taking this commercial eventually because the current options out there suck, and it would allow me to do things like bring in additional developers to handle that aspect if needed, let me license stuff like blue book values, etc. I have a ton of ideas that require a backend server that I'd need to bring others in on down the road so the mobile app stuff could be part of that.

Radio: Thanks :D

LT1MCSS: Excellent, let me know what you think! As you can see, feedback from you guys is of utmost importance to me.

Couple of suggestions:
- reports need to have a preview window where you can either a) save to PDF or b) send to print device.
- firearm condition should be pre-populated with NRA standard grades.
- double clicking the picture should bring you to the picture tab.

Couple of suggestions:
- reports need to have a preview window where you can either a) save to PDF or b) send to print device.
- firearm condition should be pre-populated with NRA standard grades.
- double clicking the picture should bring you to the picture tab.

1) OK, that fits with what someone else suggested. I'll work on that.
2) Hmm. OK, makes sense.
3) Fixed for next release.

is there any chance you could have a field that would open a particular firearm's manual in PDF form

Implemented.

Not just PDF files though, technically I can make it work for any file type, but currently the filter is set fr just pdf. One button to set the manual, another to open it, all by themselves on the "accessories" tab for now. I'll try to make it look better before next release.

I just noticed that this program does not hold photos. I renamed a folder and the photos do not show up in the program anymore. I had to put them back. This can be a problem if you have a computer crash or even buy a new system. Maybe you could make a special folder attached to the program to store photos in.

I just noticed that this program does not hold photos. I renamed a folder and the photos do not show up in the program anymore. I had to put them back. This can be a problem if you have a computer crash or even buy a new system. Maybe you could make a special folder attached to the program to store photos in.

If he's using a database, they just need to be stored into the database. I'd probably limit the number of pictures storable to 5 or so (left side, right side, bore, muzzle, stock or detail?) for size and performance reasons. Also, might consider transforming the image resolution to something smaller if the picture display is limited to the size within the program, otherwise it would make sense to store two images per image added (one thumbnail transformed from the imported image to fit the dimensions of the picture window in the program, one full size from import) and then add the ability to pop-out the full sized picture and display it in the OS-native picture viewing program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom