• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New resident in New Hampshire recently bought my own home and am employed in New Hampshire looking for assistance on owning a firearm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a stupid question since I'm looking at owning in NH in the next few years:
If you own a residence in NH and in MA, but you keep your MA drivers license/MA residency, is it still easy-peasy to purchase firearms in NH?

This whole "residency" thing seems stupid. If I own property and pay taxes, I should be a resident...
IMO, it would be easier to switch the DL to NH, so it's easier to purchase fun toys. You'll probably get zero issues if you do this. Otherwise (as mentioned above) it will depend on the FFL if they're going to take your word for having a home in NH as well.

Personally, I'd ditch the place in MA and just shift everything into NH.

IMO, it would be easier to switch the DL to NH, so it's easier to purchase fun toys. You'll probably get zero issues if you do this. Otherwise (as mentioned above) it will depend on the FFL if they're going to take your word for having a home in NH as well.

Personally, I'd ditch the place in MA and just shift everything into NH.

Understood, but this move will take time. I can't just switch full-time residency because my daughter currently attends college in MA and is getting the "in-state" tuition. My son will be heading off to college in about a year and a half and if he attends state school in MA, again, it will make sense to keep the MA residency. There are other things related to remote work, but eventually I'll be full-time in NH and spend a few months in MA in the summer.

does your wife have a MA DL?

one of my friends kept his NH license and his wife got a Florida one

Now she can claim the FL homestead exemption and get resident price tickets for DismalWorld for when the grandkids visit

Currently purchased a home in New Hampshire and I am also employed in New Hampshire. I am looking for legal advice on how to purchase a firearm
What the hell are you asking? You go to some person or some business that is selling a firearm, and trade them what they are asking for it in exchange. Usually it’s money. You literally were able to navigate purchasing a home but can’t figure out a firearm purchase?

What the hell are you asking? You go to some person or some business that is selling a firearm, and trade them what they are asking for it in exchange. Usually it’s money. You literally were able to navigate purchasing a home but can’t figure out a firearm purchase?
He is probably a crack investigative reporter looking to do an expose on how easy it is to move to NH and purchase weaponz of war. This part will be in his article as “and against my wife’s boyfriend’s advice, I went undercover in an area frequented by militia members and was given legal advice on obtaining firearm gunz with super ultra high capacity clips. I had to endure many instances of insults to my masculinity. One militia member threatened to have intercourse with my wife, damage my home with something called an “upper decker” and then for some reason throw my keys on the roof. I’m still learning the code of these insurrectionists.”

Whatever you do, do NOT take your toys down to Mass, at least until you've gotten your required training and out of state MA LTC.
You also want to stay out of NY, NJ, CT, RI, MD, DC.
Generally ME and VT are somewhat free states and can constitutional carry, at least currently, so you are somewhat land locked.

EDIT:
Note that VT recent added a large magazine ban, as does MA.
VT limits to 10 for long guns, 15 for pistols. MA limit is 10 for everything (I believe).

Last edited:
The time of the post tells me alcohol was involved

"looksie here I'm a freeee man I'm gonna gets me some gunz"

Here's a stupid question since I'm looking at owning in NH in the next few years:
If you own a residence in NH and in MA, but you keep your MA drivers license/MA residency, is it still easy-peasy to purchase firearms in NH?

This whole "residency" thing seems stupid. If I own property and pay taxes, I should be a resident...

As mentioned, depends on the FFL.

But legally, you can buy guns as a NH resident anytime you are up residing in NH. So, according to the ATF you can’t just pop over the border to buy a gun and come back to MA.

But if you’re headed up to NH to stay at your NH “2nd home”, that counts and you can buy a gun. ATF has a list of acceptable documents for proof of residency. But a tax bill with your name on it should be sufficient, legally. Still up to the FFL on whether they want to be ducks* or not though.

* not actually 🦆

Understood, but this move will take time. I can't just switch full-time residency because my daughter currently attends college in MA and is getting the "in-state" tuition. My son will be heading off to college in about a year and a half and if he attends state school in MA, again, it will make sense to keep the MA residency. There are other things related to remote work, but eventually I'll be full-time in NH and spend a few months in MA in the summer.
A temporary divorce from your wife sounds like the solution. It's sounds bad, but logical.

• Haha
Reactions: mav
Most residents have a driver’s license.

If not you need a tax bill.

The only advice you need is:
1)Don't buy a Taurus.
2) Don't buy a gun from the NES classifieds if the ad says "rare" or "safe queen" or "parlor gun".
(Well, maybe parlor gun)
3) Don't buy a Taurus
4) See number 1

In your home state of NH go pay, no waiting, bring it home. No permit required to carry on person.
Can't buy pistol from out of state without going through your local NH ffl.
Ordering online, have it sent it to the local FFL you've introduced yourself to and asked if you could send it to them. Pay for transfer and do paperwork. Leave with purchase.
ETA: IANAL and I wouldn't consider anything you get on forums legal advice.
🔽
For a start, Go Green. You might get better answers.........Notice I said might........
🔼
nope, i did penance over other previous thread answers and played this one straight. the OP up and ghosted us. and this was a very early response to the OP

Once you have proof of residency, you can go buy a firearm at any FFL. (NH driver‘s license, state issued ID, passport, social security statement, some places will even accept utilities or mortgage statements with their name and address on them, and of course, a NH Pistol and Revolver permit). NH is constitutional carry, so no license is needed. Just proof of residency and you cannot be a prohibited person in NH or any other state.
While a passport is proof of citizenship, I don’t see how it can be proof of residency of a certain state, as there is no address shown in US passports. At least none of mine ever had an address.

I think, but I'm not 100% sure, that NH will accept a utility bill to the residents address as proof. A friend used to live in MA, but also owned a summer place in NH. He was able to buy a gun based on using a utility bill. I also seem to recall that although you can only vote (I know) in one state, the ATF recognizes residency in multiple states if you own property.

I might be wrong about that and if I am I'm sure 80 people will post to tell me so. ;)

Personally, I'd keep the MA residency if possible as a non resident LTC is a PITA to get. The friend mentioned above lives in FL now and has to fly up every year (or is it every other) for his in person interview in Chelsea.

While a passport is proof of citizenship, I don’t see how it can be proof of residency of a certain state, as there is no address shown in US passports. At least none of mine ever had an address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom