New to Glocks....what mods are worth it?

You can use a clip draw with an IWB holster that doesn't already have a clip. I've tried it and liked it, better than the IWB's with the integrated clips.

Last edited:
2 snap caps, one in the chamber and one on the top of the stack, you know, in case someone wrestles your gun away and then you have time to wrestle it back, rack the slide a couple of times to get a real round in the chamber and then take care of business.

[thinking]

- - - Updated - - -

+1, this is just too scary to contemplate with a handgun. Keep your mom's number handy in case you shoot yourself with this setup.

Clipdraw with a Glock? No thank you. I'll use a holster that covers the trigger guard instead.

"Clipdraw"belt clip, much better than adding anymore bulk (IWB) to a already somewhat bulky ccw pistol. High quality clip too. Throw it in Pulp Fiction style...good to go!!!!

This is called "how to blow your nuts off" 101. I hate those effing things. Friend of mine also stabbed himself in the finger with it while trying to do some kind of malfunction clearing drill with it on his gun.

The inventors of the clipdraw, saf-t-block, and sliderlock, are all the gimmick kings of the firearms world- sellers of snake oil.

-Mike

Not a fan of those clip draw attachments. I am tucking it naked now with no clip, just a snug belt, and i don't really like having the trigger guard exposed. I'll have added peace of mind if it's holstered with the trigger guard covered.

It's not just added peace of mind you'll gain, going from Mexican carry to a proper holster.

Raven also makes something similar, but IMO Mexican carry is just a bad idea period, even with something covering the trigger guard. I can't even imagine how quickly a gun will fill up with lint, sweat, dead skin, etc. without a holster protecting it.

timthumb.php

I have one and like it a lot for summer carry. After carrying a 19 with it, I think a 26/27 would be amazing.

Serious question for those that said the butt plug was important, what does it actually do besides cost 7 bucks?

I have been looking at trying these mag plates out, (http://www.nettac.com/TangoDown-Vickers-Tactical-Glock-Magazine-Baseplates-5-Pack_p_164.html) since a few of my my prepans don't drop free. Seems like a cheap alternative to cutting the frame for mag cuts.

That Raven looks real nice. I may buy one for my G19.

And as for Mexican carry, I wouldn't do it but I don't criticize the ways people carry. But definitely have something protecting the trigger guard.

Sent from my carbon covered iPhone

Raven makes good stuff but the wait is usually forever, although I dont know if it's less for that little guy.

I am extremely happy with my Blade Tech NANO. I have 3 of them now.

-Mike

Serious question for those that said the butt plug was important, what does it actually do besides cost 7 bucks?

It serves as a little magwell and reduces the chance of the mag hanging up on those back edges. It doesn't help with the feed lips hanging up on the sharp sides of the grip, which sucks and is a much worse problem in my experience. I think it would be a waste of $7 for the vast majority of shooters, who have bad technique and don't practice reloads.

Raven makes good stuff but the wait is usually forever, although I dont know if it's less for that little guy.

I am extremely happy with my Blade Tech NANO. I have 3 of them now.

-Mike

I got in on the pre order for that little guy. It was only 30 bucks I think, and I figured if at worst case, it would make a trigger cover for like carring off body, say my gf wanted to carry in her purse. Just tie the end off to the bags carry straps and would come off with the draw. But, as it turns out, I like it enough to use it myself.

The slug plug also protects dirt and debris from getting into the return spring area and acts as a magwell. I need to buy one for my G19, but most plugs are made for Gen 3 and lower. I did find one yesterday made for the Gen4 that I'm going to buy.

And for the Raven, it looks like a good buy for me as well.

Sent from my carbon covered iPhone

I wouldn't say that it's important.....I just think it looks marginally better and helps keep crap out of the frame. In practical terms it's likely purely cosmetic.

The slug plug also protects dirt and debris from getting into the return spring area and acts as a magwell. I need to buy one for my G19, but most plugs are made for Gen 3 and lower. I did find one yesterday made for the Gen4 that I'm going to buy.

I didn't realize any of the mechanics of the gun were exposed through that void. I will have to check that when I get home.

I wouldn't say that it's important.....I just think it looks marginally better and helps keep crap out of the frame. In practical terms it's likely purely cosmetic.

That was my assumption, but I am not afraid to admit I am wrong.

The plug is important if you shoot in a competition where nailing your reloads matters. Stock Glocks are VERY unforgiving for bad reloading technique, and when I get it wrong the mag usually goes flying, like at the end of this video:
[video=youtube_share;EQYtq9oJ03w]http://youtu.be/EQYtq9oJ03w[/video]

Getting rid of the sharp edges at the back of the magwell helps a great deal.

The plug is important if you shoot in a competition where nailing your reloads matters. Stock Glocks are VERY unforgiving for bad reloading technique, and when I get it wrong the mag usually goes flying, like at the end of this video:
[video=youtube_share;EQYtq9oJ03w]http://youtu.be/EQYtq9oJ03w[/video]

Getting rid of the sharp edges at the back of the magwell helps a great deal.

Is that Vogel in the Video?

You can't, nobody makes one. (eta, well, maybe they do now!) I used to buy them but I stopped bothering with them a long time ago. I think my Gen3 19 has one but that's about it. I had it hanging around in a junk box so I installed it for the hell of it, but I would never bother spending money on one again. The amount of dust that actually makes its way up there is miniscule, really. Then again, if it makes you feel better, then buy it. It's not like you are buying a sliderlock.

-Mike

Last edited:
Mike, many companies make them for the Gen4. Most of them don't work when you have the backstraps on, but I just use the regular backstrap and find that even the medium one is too fat.

Yeah if they don't work with the backstrap on, that's kind of pointless. On both of mine I run the mediums, cause its the same profile as its 3rd gen counterparts.

-Mike

I wouldn't personally run the grip plug. The hole is there for a reason (to allow the gun to virtually clean itself from dirt and dust..etc while in adverse conditions).

Ghost rocket 3.5. The dude Arthur will warranty it even if you mess up the job. The thing is sooo, much better. I also got a 4lb. Firing pin spring and a 6lb trigger spring. Trigger feels better than my buddies $80 1911 trigger job. If you get factory glock night sites, they will warranty replace them when they die. And from what I hear they are essentially if not the same as meprolights. Also, I decal grips (rubber) but the Brooks a grip looks nice also, I and an extended slide lock and mag release. 2nd gen G19. Things a beast.

From what I was told, the grip is left open for debris, and more importantly, water to run out of the gun. If a cop is on detail in the rain, and water gets inside the gun, it will run out the backstrap. Not official word, but I was told this by a local cop.

From what I was told, the grip is left open for debris, and more importantly, water to run out of the gun. If a cop is on detail in the rain, and water gets inside the gun, it will run out the backstrap. Not official word, but I was told this by a local cop.

You can see daylight in between a Glock frame and slide. It doesn't need the backstrap channel to shed water.

Definitely made up. I know comp shooters that use the grip plug and they really don't care about dirt. It also allows you to reload quicker.
Google "void in glock grip", the majority of the answers you find will either say to help shed dirt in adverse conditions as well as allowing a better grip of the magazine in the event that it gets stuck in the magwell. This is also what I've been told by multiple people, I'm not one to just make shit up and spew it.

Google "void in glock grip", the majority of the answers you find will either say to help shed dirt in adverse conditions as well as allowing a better grip of the magazine in the event that it gets stuck in the magwell. This is also what I've been told by multiple people, I'm not one to just make shit up and spew it.

Not to prove you wrong, but I googled just that, and it came up total BS.

From one of many websites about the grip void:
In my opinion, the most-likely reason is that Glock didn’t fill this void because it is not necessary for reliable function coupled with the additional cost per unit that the extra plastic/polymer would entail. It might be a small individual amount, but when multiplied by millions, maybe not so trivial. Low production costs and the “bottom line” remain dominant considerations if wanting to survive fierce financial competition.
My Glock pistols are all “plugged”. They were reliable as homemade sin before adding the plugs. They still are and have fired thousands of rounds without incident.

[bs2]

Back
Top Bottom