New to Glocks....what mods are worth it?

Change the sights, maybe throw in a 3.5 connector. The rest is mostly horseshit, eg metal guide rods, lasermax, etc are all gay. Maybe a grip stipple if you need it.

-Mike

This. Since you have night sights covered you are good to go! I would consider the 3.5lb ghost trigger, AFTER having shot it with the stock to see if you even want to afterwards. Everything else.. EH.

for a carry glock i don't see the need for an extended slide stop. i don't want it getting caught when i draw my glock 26.

Much agreed. No need for extra things to possibly ad to getting caught up on in a draw.

Not to prove you wrong, but I googled just that, and it came up total BS.

From one of many websites about the grip void:

[bs2]
Well not to prove you wrong either but i can also quote "opinions".

"That void is left by Glock to facilitate stripping a magazine in case of a malfunction. I prefer to rip my mags from the sides of the grip, not the front and back (so I cut half moons in my grips to make that possible) but that is the reasoning behind that open area. As long as you plan on some alternative method to get your mags out (if you have a failure to clear) there is no harm in plugging the cavity."

"The hole is to put your thumb in to rip out a magazine if it gets stuck."

"One must remember that the Glock was designed as a combat handgun. It was meant to go through the mud and crud. The void in the rear of the grip is to give the various particles from normal firing, as well as the mud and crud, somewhere to go. Most of us will never have any real need for that, but it is nice that it is there."

"Provide place for dirt to clear"

"Found out that the void behind the mag comes in real handy in removing a stuck magazine quickly in the event of a failure, as it gives you some room for your thumb on the back of the mag.
I removed the plug immediately, as it is my carry piece, and don't want any complications in the unlikely event of an emergency.
Just stick your thumb in there and wrap your index finger around the front of the mag, you'll see what I mean..."

"I'm kind of surprised that no one on this learned site knows the other real reason for the void (other than the lanyard reason).

According to several Glock engineers I have personally met and spoken to:

Since the Glock factory mags have a plastic or polymer sleeve, and the particular type of polymer that Glock uses in it's design will absorb water under the correct conditions and under prolonged exposure to moisture, the void is there so that one may insert the thumb of the non-shooting hand into the void and pull the magazine out of the gun when the polymer has absorbed enough moisture to swell slightly and keep the mag from dropping free. This why Glock continues to have the void in the design and why they recommend not using a plug. The void actually is there for a reason, and it isn't a byproduct of the design or injection molding process.

And as was mentioned above in another post, the Glock was designed as a fighting hand gun. So it is known or expected that it may get dirty. If a mag is inserted that has dirt or other substances on it, that could also cause it to not drop free during a reload and may require the operator to have to "rip" the mag out of the gun to complete the reload."

Unless Glock gave you that info directly, it is made up shit. Google and multiple people are not authoritative sources.
Um I didn't make it up at all, since you are so against the idea why don't you call glock cs and ask them. Better yet contact Wilhelm Bubits and ask why? He designed the steyr and caracal pistols after working for glock and they both have the void as well. (all three being pistols originally designed for combat purposes)

Only on nes does someone want to get in an internet war over lore involving a hole in the grip of a handgun. [thinking]

Only on nes does someone want to get in an internet war over lore involving a hole in the grip of a handgun. [thinking]
no shit right, all i did is say what i was told by multiple sources and people start jumping on me telling me its bullshit and i make shit up. The last thing i want is to piss people off here.

I've heard the same regarding the plug restricting access to strip the mag. Makes sense to me and saves 7 bucks.

I bet the gap is there for production purposes, just to hang the frames by a place that won't affect/mar the inside where the moving parts are or the outside that can be seen.

From what I was told, the grip is left open for debris, and more importantly, water to run out of the gun..................I was told this by a local cop.

Not trying to get in the middle of this one, but if there were any reason to call BS it would be that line right there.......

So lets say I got stupid and went out and bought a Gen 4 Glock 19, should I replace the factory trigger with a stack of razor blades? a factory Glock 17 trigger or splurge on a fancy Zev/Glockwerks trigger.

So lets say I got stupid and went out and bought a Gen 4 Glock 19, should I replace the factory trigger with a stack of razor blades? a factory Glock 17 trigger or splurge on a fancy Zev/Glockwerks trigger.

I grabbed a ghost rocket, and its ok... Trigger weight is good, its just kind of mushy. I'd like a more defined wall, and break. Still researching my next connector.

I'm less concerned about the connector and more concerned about how sharp and jagged the trigger feels against my delicate cube dweller finger tips. I am sure cleaning up the factory trigger bar, connector safety etc... will make the trigger feel much smoother in the pull and I don't think a 3.5lb trigger pull is necessary I want smooth crisp consistent break and firm reset.

I'm less concerned about the connector and more concerned about how sharp and jagged the trigger feels against my delicate cube dweller finger tips. I am sure cleaning up the factory trigger bar, connector safety etc... will make the trigger feel much smoother in the pull and I don't think a 3.5lb trigger pull is necessary I want smooth crisp consistent break and firm reset.

Oh... I misunderstood the post. Gotcha.

Stay with the stock connector for now. Maybe change the sights if you dont like whats on it now. Get extra mags if you can find them. Go out and shoot it. Once you put 200+ rounds through it then decide if you want to mess with the trigger. Stay away from aftermarket guide rods as they reduce the reliabillity of the gun. Perhaps an extended slide stop lever if your fingers are short. That's all I'd recommend for a Glock for defensive/CCW use.

A7222628-4A44-4B08-A6E4-1984CE74FBCD-223-0000001966FBF35E.jpg

TruDot night sights, Vagazzleded barrel, & semencoated slide in tactical ghey

FIFY [smile]

Last edited:

I have a Gen4 19 too and agree with you on that one. I polished all the internal parts and it helped the pull maybe 10%. If you have the time it's worth it. I don't like to modify the trigger bar on a CCW. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'm okay with polishing and can deal with the factory Glock trigger.

Back
Top Bottom