• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Newton Gun Shop getting pushback

The proposal for rezoning is up on the newton town website. Two of the 3 areas proposed are actually high traffic, retail areas. Places like Needham Street and Rt 9 Chestnut Hill areas. It would be a nice FU to open a store on Needham St with big "GUNS" neon sign across from the new "hip" shopping plaza they have there.

That said, one of the proposed zones(Wells Ave) has a school and a small college which means that the zone will be in fact off-limits to gun stores.

I'm guessing (did not look at the maps yet, so maybe I could be wrong) those areas are controlled by large landlords with corporate policies of not leasing to gun stores. Back door way of a bigoted municipality banning a business by zoning specifically to malls and the like which won't rent to that business.

So Like all you guys I'm heated that this whole situation is even happening. I attempted to start a conversation with them in their group and was instantly banned from it. So... Since they didn't want to have any sort of meaningful conversation. I sent the Story to about 10 big name 2A people on IG/Youtube as well as FPC, GOA, Comm2a and Goal. I've already gotten messages back about it and know people are looking into it.
I grew up in newton and graduated High School there. I still have a good amount of friends there, multiple who are on newton PD. Also after the B.S. that J&J arms had to go through to get into Dedham. I'm gonna help fight to get these guys in here. I'm tired of the liberals bullying people they don't like because the truth is inconvenient for them.

I'm guessing (did not look at the maps yet, so maybe I could be wrong) those areas are controlled by large landlords with corporate policies of not leasing to gun stores. Back door way of a bigoted municipality banning a business by zoning specifically to malls and the like which won't rent to that business.
City officials openly stating they are deliberately engaging in what is unlawful behavior to prevent an explicitly targeted legal business which has already lawfully completed the entire approvals process from opening is not something competent legal counsel would advise their clients to engage in, much less put into words or writing.

Newton is engaging in a series of unforced errors trying to appease emotional constituents over the current project rather than rationally moving ahead to amend zoning and bylaws for future projects.

"Oh, we never noticed gun shops don't have to go through notifying abutters like smoke shops and liquor stores do... let's change that (following a public comment period & city council hearings) to require notice and public comments for future applicants along with x,y,z criteria for a suitable site. Sorry we can't do anything about the current store because it predates the proposed changes to the bylaws."

For Pete's sake this location is within a 1/4 mile of four liquor stores and the pot shop next door. The new police station is going to be all of a block away and the opposite side of the street is the Mass Pike. The immediate neighbors aren't residential, it's office space, Cabots, Jeep dealership, Wholefoods, telephone exchange building, retailers, etc. This is one of the least offensive sites to residential abutters possible. The street behind it is mostly taken up by new multifamily housing, parking lots, and Frasier Engineering. Anyone complaining that somehow a tranquil environment is being defiled by another retail store... wow calm down.

I have a feeling that some in the city government are just virtue signaling hard after seeing what happened when one member of the city council said basically there is nothing we can do legally to stop it, and didn't add to his original statement how much he hates guns and wants this guy to die in poverty. They immediately decided he was on the side of the gun shop and they started talking about how to get rid of him and the mayor for not doing enough to stop this, he jumped right in talking about how he hates guns and would never have one and can't stand the idea of this store and should have said so right away.

As far as the areas those were chosen carefully as well, there were a lot of them calling for specifically this hoping that the rent would be too high for a gun store to operate there and that they could more easily put pressure on the landlord with threats of boycotts and such and make sure that even if legal it would not be allowed.

I have a feeling that some in the city government are just virtue signaling hard after seeing what happened when one member of the city council said basically there is nothing we can do legally to stop it, and didn't add to his original statement how much he hates guns and wants this guy to die in poverty. They immediately decided he was on the side of the gun shop and they started talking about how to get rid of him and the mayor for not doing enough to stop this, he jumped right in talking about how he hates guns and would never have one and can't stand the idea of this store and should have said so right away.

As far as the areas those were chosen carefully as well, there were a lot of them calling for specifically this hoping that the rent would be too high for a gun store to operate there and that they could more easily put pressure on the landlord with threats of boycotts and such and make sure that even if legal it would not be allowed.
not that I shop or step foot in that town now, but if they are successful in blocking this store then that will guarantee I won't bother patronizing any place in Newton again

Guess what? A lot of bad things aren't happening here, partly because there aren't a lot of guns around

Seriously question for you: what's your interest in getting guns into Newton MA? Do you live here? Why are you commenting on this? Because I live here, and we're doing fine without guns.

Liberal logic at it's finest. I live in a great community with great people. Wait they want to own guns? They are a bunch of murdering savages who can't be trusted to exercise any freedom or free-will.

Serious question for you.... What's your interest in preventing someone from opening a business that allows American's to exercise their constitutional rights? Are you under the impression that the mere presence of guns is dangerous to you somehow? Do you feel your neighbors cannot be trusted with firearms and if so why do you choose to live with such people? What communities do you feel are appropriate for gun stores to operate in?

Guess what? A lot of bad things aren't happening here, partly because there aren't a lot of guns around

Seriously question for you: what's your interest in getting guns into Newton MA? Do you live here? Why are you commenting on this? Because I live here, and we're doing fine without guns.
Great first post choadwank. 20 demerits for you.
1619063380588.gif

1616218340816.jpg

This makes no sense on so many levels...

The presence of a gun store has literally no effect on the number of guns in criminals' hands. It doesn't even have any effect on the number of guns in the hands of the law-abiding, for that matter. There are a ton of gun stores within a half hour drive from Newton and there's at least one that's less than a mile from the town line.

The more I think about this the more dumbfounded I am by that post. Do these idiots think that guns magically fly out of their safes at night and fly around town shooting or something?

This makes no sense on so many levels...

The presence of a gun store has literally no effect on the number of guns in criminals' hands. It doesn't even have any effect on the number of guns in the hands of the law-abiding, for that matter. There are a ton of gun stores within a half hour drive from Newton and there's at least one that's less than a mile from the town line.

The more I think about this the more dumbfounded I am by that post. Do these idiots think that guns magically fly out of their safes at night and fly around town shooting or something?

Apparently so.

The mere mention of the presence of a gun store triggers their delusional thinking. If they ever fully realized how ignorant they are and if they had an ounce of honesty they be ashamed of themselves.

Yes, I know you're a troll, but take this data and stuff it.

Half a dozen FFL's reside in Newton. Yes. You have arms dealers living next door. Four of them have shops in Littleton, which has over sixty FFLs selling guns to the unsuspecting public.

Guess which community has less crime.

No, silly. Not Newton. Littleton.

There are at least six FFLs doing business in the lovely, woke community of Natick, just next door to you. Guess what. NATICK, with six arms dealers selling gats out of their trunk on Main Street, has LESS crime than Newton.

So clearly, the incidence of crime is directly inverse to the number of FFLs doing business in town.

Here's a picture so you don't have to read:

Capture.PNG

That one is just burglary, but most of the crime classifications lay out pretty much the same with Newton as the crime kingpin of those three communities.

I'm sure Newton is a very nice place to live, for people of a certain mindset anyway, but it is not Mayberry, RFD, either.

So clearly, the incidence of crime is directly inverse to the number of FFLs doing business in town.
I was with you until this assertion. What does the number of FFLs have to do with crime, one way or another?

Or is my sarcasm detector not functioning this morning?

I was with you until this assertion. What does the number of FFLs have to do with crime, one way or another?

Or is my sarcasm detector not functioning this morning?

The frantic Newtonites fear that a gun shop opening in their town will increase crime in their idyllic community. Yet Littleton, with over 60 FFLs has far LESS crime than Newton. I was using Lefty tactics to demonstrate their fears were hogwash. Which of course they are, but not for the cause/effect I was "portraying".

So, not sarcasm, but maybe more of a mix of sardony and irony.

The frantic Newtonites fear that a gun shop opening in their town will increase crime in their idyllic community. Yet Littleton, with over 60 FFLs has far LESS crime than Newton. I was using Lefty tactics to demonstrate their fears were hogwash. Which of course they are, but not for the cause/effect I was "portraying".

So, not sarcasm, but maybe more of a mix of sardony and irony.
They are not that stupid. This is about making the point "guns are bad".

I don't think they even realize that there are Newton residents that own and carry guns or that gun stores exist. I once had a friend explain to me over dinner in Boston that no one in Massachusetts is allowed to carry a gun; she was very adamant about it too, which was ironic considering that I was carrying at that moment. Point being, people tend to think of guns as existing somewhere else, far away from them, so the idea of a local gun shop triggers their ignorance into fear.

Apparently so.

The mere mention of the presence of a gun store triggers their delusional thinking. If they ever fully realized how ignorant they are and if they had an ounce of honesty they be ashamed of themselves.
The woke leftists and their brethren communists don’t do shame. Ever. Even if they are/were proven wrong, which they never are... they’ll just move the goal posts or start in with the emotional pulls if it’s sensed that you or I are in fact correct. The amount of delusional twisting in the wind “thinking” a leftist China Joe and the Ho voter can do is quite amazing.

Remember they operate under “the ends justify the means”. Always.
I don't think they even realize that there are Newton residents that own and carry guns or that gun stores exist. I once had a friend explain to me over dinner in Boston that no one in Massachusetts is allowed to carry a gun; she was very adamant about it too, which was ironic considering that I was carrying at that moment. Point being, people tend to think of guns as existing somewhere else, far away from them, so the idea of a local gun shop triggers their ignorance into fear.

Last night in Salem (MA), there was a continuance held by the ZBA to grant a special permit for non conforming use of a building zoned residential where a single proprietor wanted to expand his business beyond just fixing firearms to include the ability to do transfers with a bit of retail sales of firearms and ammo.

When I saw the line up of who wanted to speak, I knew exactly how the meeting was going to end before the first person spoke. Truly, the collective thought that by keeping a gun store out of Salem meant that there would be no guns in Salem ever. The Sgt. did point out and more than once that people had been issued LTCs in the City and as thus could legally own firearms.

Their arguments were straight out of whatever playbook or email they are sent. The “gun stores create more violence” statistic. A statistic we all know they will never substantiate with a source. The “children shouldn’t have to live in fear of violence” theory and of course “the neighborhood will be less safe”. Then something about gun violence being on the rise. To his credit and my surprise, the Sgt did point out that much of that is with illegally owned firearms. The next time I see one of those blowhards... especially the fat ass Ward councillor... in proximity to an LTC holder who carries, I’ll have a real hard time trying not to uncontrollably laugh aloud.

In the end he did not get the special permit... cue my surprised face. To be honest him and his attorney were woefully unprepared with their case. Except for the fact the petitioner already owns this building, I can’t figure out why they even bothered. In my estimation, his best bet is to move 5 blocks into an actual business zone where he won’t need the special permit, set up a full retail shop along with his gunsmithing skills and give all the pants shitters the double freedom fingers. Alas, the cost of a new space wether rented or owned may have been the reason he went this route.

This. It's a lack of information.

Those of us who post here, and who've jumped through the hoops and laid out money to learn about and then purchase firearms, and who know the laws and follow them, tend to overestimate the amount that non-shooters know about this topic.

Many of our fellow countrymen are much more ignorant about all things firearms than we can possibly fathom.

The woke leftists and their brethren communists don’t do shame. Ever. Even if they are/were proven wrong, which they never are... they’ll just move the goal posts or start in with the emotional pulls if it’s sensed that you or I are in fact correct. The amount of delusional twisting in the wind “thinking” a leftist China Joe and the Ho voter can do is quite amazing.

Remember they operate under “the ends justify the means”. Always.

Last night in Salem (MA), there was a continuance held by the ZBA to grant a special permit for non conforming use of a building zoned residential where a single proprietor wanted to expand his business beyond just fixing firearms to include the ability to do transfers with a bit of retail sales of firearms and ammo.

When I saw the line up of who wanted to speak, I knew exactly how the meeting was going to end before the first person spoke. Truly, the collective thought that by keeping a gun store out of Salem meant that there would be no guns in Salem ever. The Sgt. did point out and more than once that people had been issued LTCs in the City and as thus could legally own firearms.

Their arguments were straight out of whatever playbook or email they are sent. The “gun stores create more violence” statistic. A statistic we all know they will never substantiate with a source. The “children shouldn’t have to live in fear of violence” theory and of course “the neighborhood will be less safe”. Then something about gun violence being on the rise. To his credit and my surprise, the Sgt did point out that much of that is with illegally owned firearms. The next time I see one of those blowhards... especially the fat ass Ward councillor... in proximity to an LTC holder who carries, I’ll have a real hard time trying not to uncontrollably laugh aloud.

In the end he did not get the special permit... cue my surprised face. To be honest him and his attorney were woefully unprepared with their case. Except for the fact the petitioner already owns this building, I can’t figure out why they even bothered. In my estimation, his best bet is to move 5 blocks into an actual business zone where he won’t need the special permit, set up a full retail shop along with his gunsmithing skills and give all the pants shitters the double freedom fingers. Alas, the cost of a new space wether rented or owned may have been the reason he went this route.
With all that said one should realize that it did not get there by itself - woke leftists did persist with their agenda, they are ready to lie, scream, make noise, they are organized and persistent. And they have close to no resistance anymore from the conservative minority.
We can bitch about it all here, but, for now they have won, clear and square.

This. It's a lack of information.

Those of us who post here, and who've jumped through the hoops and laid out money to learn about and then purchase firearms, and who know the laws and follow them, tend to overestimate the amount that non-shooters know about this topic.

Many of our fellow countrymen are much more ignorant about all things firearms than we can possibly fathom.
If the gun shop had opened without a sign, odds are it would have been in business for months before any of the current people with the hair on fire freaking out even noticed it existed.

Lee Sports over the river in Waltham is next a church and no one bats an eyelash at it. Google Maps

The Boston Gun & Rifle Association has been next a MBTA station, Bluebikes station (at the front door of the club), public school, public library, playground, etc. for nearly 50 years now to no issues. Ditto for the Mystic Valley Gun Club in Malden.

With all that said one should realize that it did not get there by itself - woke leftists did persist with their agenda, they are ready to lie, scream, make noise, they are organized and persistent. And they have close to no resistance anymore from the conservative minority.
This. We the conservative majority have to become the vocal insurgents, the resistance. There is no easy, amiable, polite way out of this. Use their Alinsky tactics against them. Show up at town hall meetings. Plant ourselves in different areas of the room, making it appear like there are more of us than there really are. Ridicule them. That's easy when everything they say is a lie.

Above all, learn to say NO a lot and do not accept the premise of ANY of their arguments.

well the one thing they had going for them is they could be as out there as they wanted and had no fear of losing their job or turned into a non person due to their liberal beliefs....now they have the media, big tech, woke companies all getting their back and advocating for their positions while conservatives risk their employment for just having a different position.

so yeah they didn't get their by themselves and when they saw opportunities they seized on them, not like current conservative leadership that folds like a cheap suit

well the one thing they had going for them is they could be as out there as they wanted and had no fear of losing their job or turned into a non person due to their liberal beliefs....now they have the media, big tech, woke companies all getting their back and advocating for their positions while conservatives risk their employment for just having a different position.

so yeah they didn't get their by themselves and when they saw opportunities they seized on them, not like current conservative leadership that folds like a cheap suit
I think it's also important to understand that there is a considerable percentage of the conservative "leadership" that isn't necessarily cowardly. The real truth is that many of these people literally hate us. They do not agree with us, and only lie to us just enough to get our votes election after election. While the democrat leadership "inspires" its base, the republican leadership "conspires" AGAINST its base.

Back
Top Bottom