Next Step Up From M&P Sport?

Apparently, the owner of BCM a is a hardliner when it comes to quality control. That's hard to beat. The bigger the company you're buying from, the better the chances that something slips through the cracks unnoticed. I'm also very happy with their gunfighter stock. The only thing I'm not happy about is that BCM keeps doing business with Troy industries.

I bought my sport to introduce me to AR-15s. I took it apart and played with it and learned how it worked.

Then I modified it. Only original sport part left is the lower reciever. Parts got swapped out, put on other rifles I built, or sold.

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

The Ruger AR556 is supposed to be very nice, same price point as M&P roughly, but with forward assist and dust cover, if those excite you. I would get it over the M&P. Stag's also supposed to be great, but would be more expensive.

The cheapest LMT on their site is like $1400...you could practically have two Rugers for that cost (street price might be better)...not a knock on the quality, just seem a little overboard for the OP's use case.

Apparently, the owner of BCM a is a hardliner when it comes to quality control. That's hard to beat. The bigger the company you're buying from, the better the chances that something slips through the cracks unnoticed. I'm also very happy with their gunfighter stock. The only thing I'm not happy about is that BCM keeps doing business with Troy industries.

Paul Buffoni (owner of BCM) scrapped a couple hundred barrels in the early days of BCM because they were not up to his spec (met mil-spec). He said it almost bankrupted the company but he would rather be out of business than put out an inferior product. You can see the interview with Larry Vickers on the TacTV youtube channel

- - - Updated - - -

The Ruger AR556 is supposed to be very nice, same price point as M&P roughly, but with forward assist and dust cover, if those excite you. I would get it over the M&P. Stag's also supposed to be great, but would be more expensive.

The cheapest LMT on their site is like $1400...you could practically have two Rugers for that cost (street price might be better)...not a knock on the quality, just seem a little overboard for the OP's use case.

you can buy 50 mcdonalds cheeseburgers for the price of a steak at capitol grill. ill take the steak

you can buy 50 mcdonalds cheeseburgers for the price of a steak at capitol grill. ill take the steak

Never did I say the Ruger was better. Again, it's about the use case. He wanted the "Camry" level. The M&P Sport is around $500-$600. A $1300+ AR is more than twice that. The Ruger is about $600 and has a few extra features and has been well-reviewed. A Corolla is about 75% the cost of a Camry. Suggesting something 230% more expensive is not analogous.

This....BCM /thread.

Sorry to make this a BCM thread, but . . . at least wait one more week, see if BCM has Black friday deals on complete uppers.

To the OP, you don't want to buy a complete BCM rifle because then you pay the federal tax of 11% (built into the price). Just buy a complete BMC lower (from Rainier Arms or G&R Tactical), and complete BCM upper from BCM. Cheaper that way.

Here's one thing i like a BCM for MA victims: you can order a 14.5" barrel with a BCM compensator welded on by the factory, you can even get this in mid-length gas system (for less felt recoil). Order it with a nice handguard like the BCM magnesium keymod. This saves you having to pay to have a muzzle device welded on ($40-60) and having the bayonet lug ground off ($20?).

BCM is nothing better than Colt.

If you mean not better than Colt, sure. But you can order all kinds of custom BCM uppers. Want a stainless barrel? Want a Geissele handguard? Want a lightweight barrel, a midlength gas system in 14.5, 16" or 18"? With Colt, you just get the same rifle with different colors of Magpul furniture.

plus BCM gives you a really nice hat with their uppers. And a couple posters, if you're a mall ninja in training.

Colt is very hard to beat. It's been proven to be reilable for many years. A lot to be said for peace of mind.

I agree and this is why I bought one. I did tons of research beforehand on my first AR and found that Colt is probably the best. I've had zero problems with mine.

Northeast arms in Peabody is a LMT dealer and has the whole line in stock if you want to check a bunch of models out in one trip

I've shot an LMT. It is a NICE AR. Tack driver, easy shooter out of the box. That said, for the money, BCM. As it's been said, buy a complete lower, get a black friday upper, put the pins in, and you're DONE, with a Camry-level quality AR that will give you many years of service and be in your budget. Spend the remainder on an optic, sling, magazines and ammo. Lots and lots of ammo.

My only long guns are a shotgun and bolt action .22 so it's time to add the SHTF AR-15. It'll be my first and probably only AR so I want something reliable and practical that I can practice shooting at the range once a month and then put away and know it's there for me if I ever NEED it. I'm buying peace of mind more than anything. I don't see benchrest, 3-gun or any competitive shooting in my future. I've done a lot of internet research but I've hit the analysis paralysis stage.
I'm sure the M&P sport is a fantastic rifle but I know it's built to a price point so I'm wondering what the next "no-brainer" step-up is. In automotive terms, if the Sport is the Corolla then I want the Camry. I'm not looking to pinch pennies but I don't want to pay for 1/4" MOA. I just want a good value, full features and reliability I can have confidence in. I know a lot of guys will say "build it" and I'm capable of assembling a rifle but I want to avoid the endless hours of researching and potential compatibility problems. I just want to buy a brand new complete rifle that the manufacturer tested the crap out of and comes with a warranty. Throw your suggestions out for me. Thanks in advance.

My only advice is if your just looking for a AR to shoot and improve your MARKSMENSHIP and have on hand a basic A2 and web sling is pretty hard to beat and as basic as it gets.
Or a carbine with with a fixed carry handle which you should be able to find at decent prices as not many people are buying ARs with fixed carry handles.

As for the camery of ARs I will say basically anything less than 1000$
Is,in this range.
My Stag H2 was like a camary .....feed a,poor diet ,never washed and oil changes where few......that gun took a beating. I sent 3k rounds of steel cased garbage through it....cleaned it at around 4k rounds. Sold to me friend who continues the abuse. I may have been lucky ?
I also like RRA for the price point.
I had a,LMT also fine carbine although the offers during Obama sales where just to much to refuse.

Keep in mind also if you intend to shoot m193/855 or other "cheap" ammo don't be to concerned with how accurate gun is supposed to be.

I seen a new to me magazine on the shelf this week at the store

ARrifleman they had a bunch of new guns and test I was actually surprised at the closer to reality accuracy test.

Also FN is putting out a entry AR now also.

Last edited:
i have both windham and bcm uppers on aries pricision lowers i built. they both run awsome. build the lower the way you want it with a good trigger assy and buy the completed upper.

As Varmint said, Mursenary is selling a lightly used premium AR for less than you would pay for a new Windham or many other mid range rifles.

That's a fantastic deal, and I've been looking very closely at it, but I always go back to a piece of advice my father gave me when I was younger: when you buy something for the first time and you need it to be reliable, buy it new. That way you have the benefit of the warranty. Once you learn how to troubleshoot/fix/maintain it, you'll have the confidence to buy the next one used.

That is one of the reasons I don't want to build an AR as my first rifle.

Another option is that Individualist has a nice nib 14.5 in lw bcm middy upper for sale. You could buy that and slap it on your sport lower. I'd also upgrade the trigger and crap pinned stock. Or buy the complete bcm in the classifieds because of course you need more than one ar

That's a fantastic deal, and I've been looking very closely at it, but I always go back to a piece of advice my father gave me when I was younger: when you buy something for the first time and you need it to be reliable, buy it new. That way you have the benefit of the warranty. Once you learn how to troubleshoot/fix/maintain it, you'll have the confidence to buy the next one used.

That is one of the reasons I don't want to build an AR as my first rifle.

Exactly my reasoning as well.

Tony

Back
Top Bottom