NH resident flying out of Logan with guns

I'm a New Hampshire resident and I do not have a MA non-res LTC. I'm going to be flying from Logan to Jacksonville, FL with a handgun and a long gun. I know I'm legal by federal law traveling as long as at point A and point B I can possess a firearm. That said, has anyone ever been hassled by the state police at the airport? Legal or not, and overly ambitious statie could make someone's life a mess.

I would fly from Manchester to Jacksonville, but it's significantly more money.

I'm an MA resident with an LTC and I've flown out of Logan numerous times with guns. Never once has the police or TSA been involved, but just a word of caution that some of the airline employees (particularly at baggage/ticketing) aren't the brightest of the bunch and may not understand the process, so just calmly say "I would like to declare a firearm" and do not bring up your state residence at all (beyond showing them your ID if they ask). Logan is not LaGuardia (which is notorious for arresting people in your situation) so you should be fine.

I'm an MA resident with an LTC and I've flown out of Logan numerous times with guns. Never once has the police or TSA been involved, but just a word of caution that some of the airline employees (particularly at baggage claim) aren't the brightest of the bunch and may not understand the process, so just calmly say "I would like to declare a firearm" and do not bring up your state residence at all (beyond showing them your ID if they ask). Logan is not LaGuardia (which is notorious for arresting people in your situation) so you should be fine.
Good to know about LaGuardia.

Pfft. While located in the crazy state, Logan is actually pretty decent when it comes to traveling with guns. As long as you stay near highways and don't stop over to visit nephews or something, you won't get hassled.
it isn't the guns that would cause me to avoid Logan, its the traffic and Boston in general

Go directly to airport. Make sure you have ammo properly stored and gun unloaded with a flag. Ensure you have Non-TSA locks on your case. Declare the firearm when you check your bag.

Flying out of Manchester is cheaper than a lawyer, so there's that angle too.
And cheaper then an arrest/bail

If it were me, I’d print a copy of FOPA and have it with me just for personal peace of mind. If I had to be articulate about federal law, I rather read directly from the document or hand it to someone to read.

As someone else stated, firearm must be unloaded and ammunition must be in an approved container (manufacturers box, or plastic reloading box, etc) Ammo can be in the same shipping container with the firearm as long as it’s stored as described.

I personally use non-TSA locks on the case, but if the pistol case is inside a larger suitcase I cable lock it to the suitcase frame and have TSA approved locks on the outer bag.

Also consult airline policy — most are not responsible for the bag or case, only the contents. I’ve often put my duffel bag in a brightly colored laundry bag. This protects the straps and if there is any damage during shipping, the cheap-o laundry bag is considered the baggage and the duffel bag and it’s contents are all covered under airline policy.

This......

That said......without an LTC.....don't stop anywhere. Likelyhood of having and issue is low but not 0% unfortunately....so the advice that Manchvegas is cheaper than a lawyer is valid.

And if the plane is rerouted for some reason to a state where you cannot possess the firearm like NY don’t take possession of your suitcase that has the weapon in it. Make the airline hold it for you.

Bob

Last edited:
Good to know about LaGuardia.
Yup. NY loves to make lawful gun owners stay for an extra long "vacation" at tax payer expense.
They even arrested a guy for having a couple pieces of a standard magazine. Not a magazine. Just pieces of one.

Another point regarding NY. They have a messed up interpretation of the TSA regs. They arrested a woman who was in full compliance with TSA rules. She had the weapon and the ammo in separate locked containers. However, NY law defines the suitcase as a single container regardless how many separate locked boxes are within the one suitcase. She was arrested for having the firearm and ammo in the same container. NY writes their laws such that no reasonable person can ever be sure they are in compliance.

Last edited:
be aware of the itinerary path and avoid connections. all the horror stories are about cancelled flights, baggage rerouted to NYC and people actually checking it out and then trying to check it back in. a no-no thing.
fly direct and be safe.
Unfortunately, direct flights are nearly impossible to find to most places. I have had times that I was routed through one of the NYC airports and got hung up there for a night. Simply tell the airline you are not taking possession of your luggage. They place it in secure storage and it follows you the next day. It's never been a problem. Side note: Always keep a toiletry kit and at least spare socks and boxers in the carry on backpack...

Unfortunately, direct flights are nearly impossible to find to most places. I have had times that I was routed through one of the NYC airports and got hung up there for a night. Simply tell the airline you are not taking possession of your luggage. They place it in secure storage and it follows you the next day. It's never been a problem. Side note: Always keep a toiletry kit and at least spare socks and boxers in the carry on backpack...
wat? to florida? i just flew family direct there, for a $260 roundabout, jetblue to ft.myers - during APRIL BREAK, of all times.
perfectly fine to get tickets now, should be back in $90 or so range, if all is back to what it should be.

when they kick you out from a cancelled flight for the night - you will have to get your bags, in most scenarios. also need to get your bags if they kick you from jfk to laguardia. etc.
just fly direct, again.

wat? to florida? i just flew family direct there, for a $260 roundabout, jetblue to ft.myers - during APRIL BREAK, of all times.
perfectly fine to get tickets now, should be back in $90 or so range, if all is back to what it should be.

when they kick you out from a cancelled flight for the night - you will have to get your bags, in most scenarios. also need to get your bags if they kick you from jfk to laguardia. etc.
just fly direct, again.

I fly all over the country for work...not just Florida.

And no, you do not have to take your bag. If you tell them it contains a firearm they will move it to secure storage overnight...I've done it a few times...

I fly all over the country for work...not just Florida.

And no, you do not have to take your bag. If you tell them it contains a firearm they will move it to secure storage overnight...I've done it a few times...
i usually never get them checked in to begin with on business trips, but 2 times i had it checked in and was cancelled on a connection - once in philly, and once in nyc - both times i was forced to get bag out. may be the 'firearm' was a magic keyword to use for them to have it.

the OP was asking specifically about FL, btw.

I'm an MA resident with an LTC and I've flown out of Logan numerous times with guns. Never once has the police or TSA been involved, but just a word of caution that some of the airline employees (particularly at baggage/ticketing) aren't the brightest of the bunch and may not understand the process, so just calmly say "I would like to declare a firearm" and do not bring up your state residence at all (beyond showing them your ID if they ask). Logan is not LaGuardia (which is notorious for arresting people in your situation) so you should be fine.
I was with you up until the bolded part. The first thing they ask for is photo ID when you’re checking in. Next is filling out the name and address card that then gets taped to your firearm case(s) in case they get lost.

I can’t speak to any legalities around it, just be aware that they will see your address come up at least twice while at the check-in counter alone.

There are also some airports I’ve flown thru that no longer just toss your checked bag (w/firearm) into the conveyer. Some now send them separately to a ‘secure’ area and ask for ID to retrieve them. I’ve seen airport cops hanging around those areas at times watching people. Haven’t seen anyone stopped by them, but it is a thing at some places.

i usually never get them checked in to begin with on business trips, but 2 times i had it checked in and was cancelled on a connection - once in philly, and once in nyc - both times i was forced to get bag out. may be the 'firearm' was a magic keyword to use for them to have it.

the OP was asking specifically about FL, btw.

They changed the handling of bags with declared firearms a few years back. They no longer send them out on the belt, you have to pick them up at the baggage office. They know in their system that there is a firearm in there and they will not make you take the bag if you get held overnight.

Understood that the OP asked about Florida, but someone is bound to search the topic in the future so we might as well discuss it generally too.

This

/thread

I dont know why anyone would flirt with mass law at this point.....if they get overzealous you're going to spend a ton of money to defend, not to mention loss of reputation since you're going to be in the news.....its a given

Well, it depends on where you fly and who you're flying with. I am a very frequent flier for work, I only fly Delta. I also go overseas often, so even when Delta was at MHT there were no overseas flights.

I haven't had to pay for flights or hotels for a family vacation in 20 years with all my miles, points, etc...so there is some benefit to consolidating your travel to particular brands.

I've had significantly more problems flying out of "free" states with guns than flying out of Logan. But it's hard to tell when you'll get someone who is having a bad day.

Back
Top Bottom