Nightmare Dealers

I am a range safety officer at my club, and I end up talking to inexperienced shooters about a wide range of issue, including different styles of handguns, and how to carry them.

I feel that most shooters are best served by striker fired auto pistols, with triggers that are not too light, and with no external safeties. My reasons for this preference include most of the reasons given earlier in this thread. And I also frequently discuss with people how quality holsters are a critical piece of safety equipment, and how concealed carry handguns should be carried with a round in the chamber.

However, there is a larger and more important principle that overrides all of these preferences. Everyone who carries a firearm should carry it in a way that they are comfortable with, provided that their method is not less safe. So if someone only feels comfortable with a manual safety, or with a DA/SA auto that can be carried hammer down, or with an empty chamber, then all of those choices are OK for that person. That comfort level is likely to change over time as the person gains experience, but it might not, and that is OK too. No one should try to carry a firearm in a way they are uncomfortable with.

We often say that if your gut is warning you not to do something, then maybe you shouldn't. In some situations, we call that feeling "situational awareness" and commend people who follow it.

When someone tells me they want to take extra safety precautions that experts say are not necessary, I consider whether their gut is telling them, and me, about their actual training level. I take that as a hint to talk about training instead of gear.

That gut feeling means that person needs more training.

I agree on the comfort part. But that person might not understand the consequences. A gun is not something you f*ck with, a gun is something you will only use when it is a life or death situation. So if you will carry it, get the necessary training to carry it the way it should be carried and get comfortable.

If someone is uncomfortable I usually tell them to carry without one in the chamber around their home for a day. Go do yard work, go for a run, jump ... at the end of the day when they see it didn't go off, they can start carrying with one in the chamber.

I would love to hear why you think it's sloppy. I understand it's a pretty inflammatory statement, but I'm willing to defend it.
OK - here goes.
Do you try to haggle at Walmart? Do you do it at McDonalds?
That's sloppy thinking because all anyone is saying is that you haggle to the extent allowed by our culture in any specific situation. So there is no haggling in Walmart or McDonalds. The degree of acceptable haggling in a small store depends on whatever the culture is at that place. Some places, no haggling. Some places, some haggling. Some places, a lot of haggling.
By asking what their best price is you're being a pussy and begging for a discount
That's sloppy thinking because that is only one interpretation of the usage of the phrase. It can also mean, "can we negotiate, please?".
lot of the time you're just putting an employee who's probably working for minimum wage and an employee discount in an awkward and time consuming situation where they have to now go talk to someone and see if the owner is willing to drop their pants for you.
That's sloppy thinking because that is only one specific context. In this context, you may decide not to bargain. In a different context, like if you are in a used car dealership, you may decide to bargain, a lot, pretty aggressively.
only one who thinks it's fun is you. Everyone in that store talks **** about you after you leave, and they probably hide out back when they see you coming in.
That's sloppy thinking because that is only one specific context. You may decide not to bargain in stores where this is bound to happen. In other stores, like in a new car dealership, you may decide to bargain. In fact, if you don't bargain in some contexts, the employees all go back and snicker about what a rube you were.

There is more, but tell me what you think so far.

Last edited:
Try my Shadow 2 ;)
This. The shadow 2 convinced me they don’t all suck. And that was a hard sell for me. I genuinely hate da/sa

@Broc you can try mine sometime. Granted I have lighted it with some Cajun goodies.
Especially one that’s tuned. Though I think my shadow 1 might have a SLIGHTLY better trigger than my shadow 2.

What basic safety rule of handling firearms does a “safety” allow you to disregard? If your answer is correct, you don’t need a safety.

I got a yeet cannon too (humble brag).

I don't know why, but I will ask it here ...

Blind is set up 60 yards from some apple trees that deer love.

Buddy has a nice 9mm SBR.

I think you know where this is going.

Yes or no?

Try my Shadow 2 ;)

This. The shadow 2 convinced me they don’t all suck. And that was a hard sell for me. I genuinely hate da/sa

@Broc you can try mine sometime. Granted I have lighted it with some Cajun goodies.

Especially one that’s tuned. Though I think my shadow 1 might have a SLIGHTLY better trigger than my shadow 2.

Yes, the Shadow 2 is a nice gun. I am not talking about a tuned gun.

I actually love the Shadow 2 a lot, it points naturally for me.

May I ask - what do you have against haggling? I mean the mild version of haggling, like asking "best they can do" (unlike the Turkish bazaar version).

Given the culture we have, isn't it normal to expect some level of haggling (depending on the specific situation)? Sometimes it is just even a fun game.
It's generally obnoxious faggotry with very limited exceptions. Gun shops are not used car lots, we're not talking about an item that has thousands of dollars worth of fluff/margin built into the price here. Usually people trying to change the price come off as entitled dickbags. You want a discount? Pitch a scenario where the shop gets a win too. Example "can i get a few bucks off if i buy two of these with cash?: etc.

I ask why do you feel compelled to do it? Do you try to haggle at Walmart? Do you do it at McDonalds? Why is that it's only ever done at small independent businesses?

I have a couple of issues with it. One is that the store owner has already shown you his price. If that's not good enough for you then be a man and make an offer or walk. By asking what their best price is you're being a pussy and begging for a discount instead of manning up and actually negotiating. The other problem I have with it is that a lot of the time you're just putting an employee who's probably working for minimum wage and an employee discount in an awkward and time consuming situation where they have to now go talk to someone and see if the owner is willing to drop their pants for you.

The culture we have is entitled consumers, and the only one who thinks it's fun is you. Everyone in that store talks **** about you after you leave, and they probably hide out back when they see you coming in.
This.

More often than not this results in:

"Oh not this f***ing skinflint guy again" [rofl]

"Xyz(owner), can you deal with him? I can't, i don't want to say something ill regret later. "

Back
Top Bottom