Nightmare Dealers

This.

More often than not this results in:

"Oh not this f***ing skinflint guy again" [rofl]

"Xyz(owner), can you deal with him? I can't, i don't want to say something ill regret later. "
I see. So according to you, no FFL is expecting to negotiate the price at all. Every one of them is putting forward the best deal they can already, with just the minimal margin, just enough to cover their costs and make a fair profit.

I'll keep this in mind. I find it hard to believe, but I'll keep it in mind.

I see. So according to you, no FFL is expecting to negotiate the price at all. Every one of them is putting forward the best deal they can already, with just the minimal margin, just enough to cover their costs and make a fair profit.

I'll keep this in mind. I find it hard to believe, but I'll keep it in mind.
Most dealers with a brain have set the price to a compromise point between offering an attractive price to the consumer, but also still allowing for enough margin so that they can actually justify expending the time it takes to sell and transfer you a gun. At the end of the day if you're not making enough money to make a profit, then there's no point to doing any of it because if you give shit away, you're basically just grinding your fists into the pavement for nothing.......

Most dealers with a brain have set the price to a compromise point between offering an attractive price to the consumer, but also still allowing for enough margin so that they can actually justify expending the time it takes to sell and transfer you a gun. At the end of the day if you're not making enough money to make a profit, then there's no point to doing any of it because if you give shit away, you're basically just grinding your fists into the pavement for nothing.......
Yup, that's basically how I summarized your earlier statements as "most FFLs have a minimal margin, enough to cover their costs and turn a fair profit". You seem to be saying the same thing again, in different words, right?

It may very well be true that the gun market is inhabited entirely by real men of the good old days - men of their word and integrity, with zero intention of inflating their profits even a bit, with zero intention of negotiating on the price.

That sounds absolutely fantastic. To tell you the truth, though, I will still probe a bit for if there is room for negotiation. Doesn't hurt if done right. And they can always politely decline. Doesn't have to get ugly at all.

It may very well be true that the gun market is inhabited entirely by real men of the good old days - men of their word and integrity, with zero intention of inflating their profits even a bit, with zero intention of negotiating on the price
Lol it's sheer entitlement mentality/hubris that you postulate this as a "bad" thing, as well as acting like you can be the arbiter of what defines "fair profit" instead of just ditching the whole skinflint retard act and letting the free market sort things out. Shops that overprice items tend to get smoked in the long run. And usually that's not the only reason a bad dealer sucks, either.

Lol it's sheer entitlement mentality/hubris that you postulate this as a "bad" thing, as well as acting like you can be the arbiter of what defines "fair profit" instead of just ditching the whole skinflint retard act and letting the free market sort things out. Shops that overprice items tend to get smoked in the long run. And usually that's not the only reason a bad dealer sucks, either.
Lol is the dude on the cape still active who was very rapey on prices for certain things?

Mp5's at a 200% markup lol

Sheesh 😀 Well, I am pretty sure I am not entitled, nor have hubris. I did not imply that integrity plus a no bargaining policy was a bad thing, and I am not sure where you are reading that I want to be an arbiter of what constitutes fair profit. I kind of wish that you actually saw what I am really saying. But it seems clear that you can't beyond that perspective you are locked into.

It's been interesting.

Sheesh 😀 Well, I am pretty sure I am not entitled, nor have hubris. I did not imply that integrity plus a no bargaining policy was a bad thing, and I am not sure where you are reading that I want to be an arbiter of what constitutes fair profit. I kind of wish that you actually saw what I am really saying. But it seems clear that you can't beyond that perspective you are locked into.

It's been interesting.
You've implied in more than one post that there's some notion of "fair profit" like namely what makes you the arbiter of that? 🤣 That's the epitome of entitlement.

Finding a good FFL is like finding a barber, doctor, etc...Not a one size fits all. Same thing goes for an FFL....finding a good customer can be a tricky business.

Rented it on Amazon Prime last year... in case it helps.

Yeah, I'm looking for a FREE method to watch it. I'm recalling not many movies at ALL were worth watching in that era. They have a few moments of interest coupled with dozens of minutes in between of just meaningless crap. So $4 is too much right now. ROFL!

No, he is a moron.

I don't care if he is retired IDF. That, to me, doesn't mean sh*t. And if he was some sort of special ops, then he is retarded for saying what he said.

I can't stand DA/SA handguns, that first trigger pull is a mile long. Horrible. That being said, as of right now, my SHTF gun is a DA/SA ... only until it gets replaced with a new Glock.

Let it out, Broc. Tell us how you really feel. [rofl]

(You do know that IDF does not carry condition-1, right? That they train pull, rack, bang? That was my joke. That there ARE a whole mess of people who have NEVER carried condition-1 in their lives.)

No i read it perfectly right. I know how you flints operate/think.
heh :) you are a funny dude.

OK - let's get past the problem of communication for a bit, because it is unlikely that we will converge.

Let me summarize your position. You are saying bargaining of any sort with FFLs is a "retarded, skin-flint act" and the correct way to handle a price you think is high is to just walk out. Would you say that is a fair summary?

I still can't get over the fact that the OP bought his girlfriend a Ruger.

Sooner or later, someone is going to tell her, and there is going to be hell to pay. When she finds out that you bought her a Ruger, and don't care enough to buy her a decent gun...oh boy. Might as well give her a cubic zirconia engagement ring.

heh :) you are a funny dude.

OK - let's get past the problem of communication for a bit, because it is unlikely that we will converge.

Let me summarize your position. You are saying bargaining of any sort with FFLs is a "retarded, skin-flint act" and the correct way to handle a price you think is high is to just walk out. Would you say that is a fair summary?
Yes, If the price offered actually offends you that much, then it's probably simplest to just shop elsewhere. Or up your game, learn things, do the legwork/networking, and go pro skinflint.

One of the issues with pricing and answering the "what's the best you can do" or "will you give me a deal" question is that it frequently is the start of a price war between other dealers, of which nothing can be gained. Yesterday, I quoted someone a price. It's MAP price, which I think equates to a "fair" profit. A few minutes later, they call back and say someone is offering it $3 cheaper. I politely said, "Good for you. Glad you found it at a better price. Thank you for your inquiry." An hour later, same person calls back and says "They got the price wrong, it's actually more, but since they thought they quoted me that price, can you match it." I politely explained that if an item as a MAP price, that is what we sell the item for.

Before I knew it, 30+ minutes of my life had gone by over someone wanting to go get something for $3 lower because of a fictitious quote he received from somewhere else.

Similar story: $5 haggling over a case of ammo until I pointed out that they would have to pay shipping on the case.

When I was merely a firearm owner, I would go to shops that had good service overall, even if that meant I paid a bit more. Building a good relationship with a shop/business of any kind gets you a lot more time and money saved in the long-run.

What's interesting about all of this is that you can go online and find the market price for almost anything. Factor in shipping costs + transfer fees, and you have what the lowest price is already (this has been somewhat distorted by the dropship FFLs that cut MAP or sell at dealer cost + a fee, but that gets remedied quickly by shops refusing or increasing their transfer fee prices).

Nothing wrong with making an offer as long as you do it politely and without attitude.

I was with a co-worker at the shop that used to be on Rt 20. He told the owner "That's $100 more than Four Seasons, I'll take if it you meet me halfway". The response was "Nope, Four Seasons is whoring the industry by messing up dealer margins".

I asked "When you buy your inventory do you use the cheapest reliable supplier or use only those vendors with a healthy margin so you do not hurt the wholesale side of the industry?". The answer actually was "That's different".

Last edited:
Yesterday, I quoted someone a price. It's MAP price, which I think equates to a "fair" profit.
Depends on the item. For most readily available guns, MAP is significantly above the street price.

There is no such thing as a "fair profit", only a "market supported profit".

but that gets remedied quickly by shops refusing or increasing their transfer fee prices).
I can't think of any other business where you can go to a retailer, say "I'd like to buy cheap, use your business license to get access to the wholesale price, and pay you a fee significantly less than the amount you markup the product for when you sell it out of your inventory". Try that anywhere other than a gunshop and the shopkeep will look at you like you are some sort of idiot.

Guns are also unique because they tend to be less from independents than from the big chain stores.

What does that mean?
Making a few texts or phone calls and buying the thing you want at gunbroker low, land at the local small FFL for $50 transfer or less, and not paying sales tax and paying under $25 for shipping, and not spending more than maybe 15 minutes to orchestrate the whole thing.

Me? I can't even be bothered, I do an even easier version of this where I call or text my local dealer and get a quote, and just buy local or semi local even if it's not the cheapest. 95% of the time I still get within $100 of what the skinflints pay, and with better service/way less aggravation. (And i get dealer support, where flints get nothing but a basket of air).

Nothing wrong with making an offer as long as you do it politely and without attitude.

I was with a co-worker at the shop that used to be on Rt 20. He told the owner "That's $100 more than Four Seasons, I'll tkae if it you meet me halfway". The response was "Nope, Four Seasons is whoring the industry by messing up dealer margins".

I asked "When you buy your inventory do you use the cheapest reliable supplier or use only those vendors with a healthy margin so you do not hurt the wholesale side of the industry". The answer actually was "That's different".
I pick distributors based on their available inventory, more than anything, as well as shipping terms and speed. If a price on an item was particularly egregious, I would look elsewhere. But merely having a higher price isn't a disqualifier, as you have to take everything into account when ordering inventory and price on the average rather than on a per-item basis. The exception to this is items with an enforceable MAP, where dealer pricing is going to be the same just about everywhere. I think the same is true on the consumer end: if a price is somewhat higher than a competitors, but there is more underlying value in the purchase overall, the price is mitigated (i.e. developing a good relationship with the shop, it's closer to your home, they are good with turn around time on transfers and special orders etc.)

It's not that it can't be done it's just that most people can't do it in a way that doesn't make them look like a retard.
Ah OK. Now you seem to be saying that it is OK to bargain as long as you can do it not looking like a retard. That's quite a different stance than I understood earlier.

Ah OK. Now you seem to be saying that it is OK to bargain as long as you can do it not looking like a retard. That's quite a different stance than I understood earlier.
There's a part of this that is "know your audience" and after a point it can still look stupid or obnoxious. I just make life easier by not being a skinflint and shop with people who set their prices rationally on most items. Also contemplate a shops operation costs for more than 5 minutes and it might temper some of that flint energy. 🤣

Dude are you really that poor? If you can afford to shoot, probably not. And most the shops that are way out of their gourd.... just walk out. If you did the legwork you'd know this. But you don't because everyone wants the EZ button.

The exception to this is items with an enforceable MAP, where dealer pricing is going to be the same just about everywhere.
I've seen vendors circumvent MAP at times by not displaying a lower price, but showing it only after you put it in the cart.
Manufacturers seem to let them get away with it, because a lot of reputable sellers do this.
And it seems to work for the vendors because they end up making more money from volume than from per-unit profit.

Depends on the item. For most readily available guns, MAP is significantly above the street price.

There is no such thing as a "fair profit", only a "market supported profit".

I can't think of any other business where you can go to a retailer, say "I'd like to buy cheap, use your business license to get access to the wholesale price, and pay you a fee significantly less than the amount you markup the product for when you sell it out of your inventory". Try that anywhere other than a gunshop and the shopkeep will look at you like you are some sort of idiot.

Guns are also unique because they tend to be less from independents than from the big chain stores.
The MAP on, for example, a Glock 19 Gen5 is $620. If someone is selling these BNIB for a lower "street price," I'd imagine they don't have an FFL. If that's the case, it won't be long before nice gentlepeople from the ATF/IRS show up and inquire about their business dealings. I find, as do many dealers, that it's the opposite - people want to sell their used firearms for a price that is similar to MAP, which is why many shops offer lower trade in values on common firearms, as the price they want exceeds the dealer cost of a new item.

Firearms with enforceable MAP sell for the same prices just about everywhere. I use fair as a price floor as dictated by the distributors, but agree that local market + elasticity is what matters.

I'm still fairly new at running my own shop, but I'm finding that the people who constantly ask "what can I get this for," or "hey, I know you can do better because..." typically buy the least and demand the most. Maybe there was a time when gun shops were run like bazaars and those habits are engrained in people. Or, they are just used gun shops pricing things crazy high.

Back
Top Bottom