Obama to Announce New Executive Action concerning guns:

Obama can't rewrite HIPAA regs and MD's can't give out confidential medical info without a release. MA regs specifically state only courts and DMH must provide info to NICS. If a local PD received medical info then a release was signed and that's like ignoring your right to remain silent.

I know. The person I'm talking about mistakenly told the Chief himself that he was on them. It was a stupid thing to do. I was more making the point that Chief's here will easily deny someone an LTC for taking an SSRI.

This BS is federal and will have zero effect on MA gun laws which means MA folks won't get an FFL unless they are running a real business in a business zone (or the narrow exemption that Rob Boudrie mentioned). Just because the Feds say you must get an FFL does not mean that MA will issue a MA Dealer license. AND I've been told on good authority that BATFE in MA goes and checks zoning maps when a MA person files for an FFL . . . not commercially zoned? No FFL issued as it wouldn't comply with MGL (which is also a requirement of the FFL issuance, you have to be in compliance with state and local laws).

Anyone who says that we need more gun laws is a fargin idiot. We have so many laws and restrictions now that they are actually in direct conflict with each other.

So you are saying that a person who has a loved one die, goes through a divorce, comes home from a combat zone and perhaps has had both of those things happen to them; expresses out loud that they "want to die" or feel like 'killing themselves."
In a well intentioned effort, their friends/family have them involuntarily committed to a mental institution while they sort some sh1t out.
Years later, when the birds are chiping and the sky is blue again, you think they should not be allowed to own firearms any more?

1) Friends/Family cannot involuntarily commit anyone. Only an MD can. An LICSW or local PD can involuntarily bring someone to ER for safety evaluation.

2) Hospital records are private, protected by HIPAA, and can not be used without a signed release or court order. Only DMH/Court ordered commitments are reported to NICS

3) Obama's proposed new regs will also provide a mechanism for people to seek relief from the federal prohibition on possessing a firearm for reasons related to mental health according to news releases. (Hey, Obama promised [laugh] )

I do agree that a disqualification for any reason should be time limited.

Last edited:
Random thought - does big-pharma have a horse in this race or are USA gun owners who will potentially not seek treatment now just too small a segment to care about?

I'm not going to go into details, but I know someone who has been denied an LTC because they were on a SSRI for anxiety. He had two doctors letter stating he was mentally fit to own a firearm, but it meant nothing.

How the **** did they find that out?

What a sad day for gun stores owners everywhere when Obama leaves office. The NRA should have a statue of Obama in front of there headquarters "Greatest gun salesman ever"

1) Friends/Family cannot involuntarily commit anyone. Only an MD can. An LICSW or local PD can involuntarily bring someone to ER for safety evaluation.

2) Hospital records are private, protected by HIPAA, and can not be used without a signed release or court order. Only DMH/Court ordered commitments are reported to NICS

3) Obama's proposed new regs will also provide a mechanism for people to seek relief from the federal prohibition on possessing a firearm for reasons related to mental health according to news releases.

I do agree that a disqualification for any reason should be time limited.

I understand that friends/family can't be the ones to commit, but they get the ball rolling. For brevity, I left out the part where once they get their friend in for help, he says that he feels like dying/killing himself.

You are saying years later you don't think he will have a problem getting his rights restored?

Do me a favor. Get on the phone tomorrow and call as many Psychiatrists, Psychologists, and LICSW's that you want and pretend to be the guy in that situation. Explain that you are applying for your MA LTC and need a doctors note saying that "they have reviewed your medical records and see no reason that you shouldn't be allowed to own firearms."

I'll be here, let me know how many agree to help you...

Everyone seems in a panic, isn't this an EA instead of an EO? Someone in this thread described an EA as a wish list.

Obama can't rewrite HIPAA regs and MD's can't give out confidential medical info without a release. MA regs specifically state only courts and DMH must provide info to NICS. If a local PD received medical info then a release was signed and that's like ignoring your right to remain silent.

[rofl]

He thinks obama will follow the law and constitution.

Obama can't rewrite the immigration laws but he tried until a federal court blocked him, it's not at SCOTUS on appeal. Obama illegal made changes in the obamacare law at least 30 times. Obama is illegally not deporting illegal aliens. He's illegal writing environmental laws, and so on.

Obama think's he's king and he does what he wants until a court stops him.

What does one's ability to manage their own finances have to do with their right to protect themselves? And who decides who is actually a danger to themselves or others if no crime has been committed? Let's see what MA has to say about the latter:

You are using MA section 12 as an improper example. A MA hospital admission is subject to HIPAA and can not be reported to NICS.
A court ordered hospital admission can be. If a person does not have the mental ability to manage their own affairs and the court appoints a guardian then I seriously doubt they can understand the danger a loaded firearm can present.

b1ee29b427f4e57712f8ef2fbabeba8a.jpg

That's all I have to say on the issue
Love it. None of this has the force of law.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You are using MA section 12 as an improper example. A MA hospital admission is subject to HIPAA and can not be reported to NICS.
A court ordered hospital admission can be. If a person does not have the mental ability to manage their own affairs and the court appoints a guardian then I seriously doubt they can understand the danger a loaded firearm can present.

So a vet who is married from the time he is 18: Goes to work every day and hands his paychecks over to his loving wife. She pays the bills, buys the groceries, and handles the household affairs. At the age of 70, she dies and he has no idea how to handle any of these things that he has never done before. Some snot nosed kid at the VA or soc security office puts down on paper that he is unable to handle his affairs.

Think this stuff through bro. The people that are being vilified, are not the ones who commit gun violence in this country!

All I got out of Zero's message is that he FINALLY closed the "gun show loophole." Tell that to every anti who argues with you.

I wonder what people like Putin are thinking right now. We've got a flaming sissy in the WH.

Now they are looking for doctors to dime you out. When you go for your Appt. keep it all business and tell the dic everyone and everything is fine or red flags will be sent....

http://news.investors.com/010516-788091-obamacare-extended-to-policing-guns.htm?ref=yfp

Obama's directives apparently trump long-standing federal rules preventing doctors from disclosing mental health matters. Now the executive branch will "expressly permit certain HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996) covered entities to disclose to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) the identities of individuals who are subject to a Federal 'mental health prohibitor' that disqualifies them from shipping, transporting, possessing or receiving a firearm."

Now they are looking for doctors to dime you out. When you go for your Appt. keep it all business and tell the dic everyone and everything is fine or red flags will be sent....

http://news.investors.com/010516-788091-obamacare-extended-to-policing-guns.htm?ref=yfp

Obama's directives apparently trump long-standing federal rules preventing doctors from disclosing mental health matters. Now the executive branch will "expressly permit certain HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996) covered entities to disclose to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) the identities of individuals who are subject to a Federal 'mental health prohibitor' that disqualifies them from shipping, transporting, possessing or receiving a firearm."

Pretty sure he doesn't even come close to having that kind of authority.
That's changing a law, which executive orders can't do.
He might think so, but the courts will have something to say about it.

Obama aide (the hot one in green that you're probably already looking at) holds back laughter during the king's speech.

http://imgur.com/gallery/pt6tsou

I had to watch the video too just to be sure. Yup, she turns away when his Crocodile tears start flowing and then finally lets out a smile.

"Sweeet. Wookie was right; he's a regular Little Mommy doll. Stick your thumb up his butt and he cries, pull it out and he stops...in...out...in...out"

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure he doesn't even come close to having that kind of authority.
That's changing a law, which executive orders can't do.
He might think so, but the courts will have something to say about it.

Hopefully you are right. But that's not what the article says...unless I misread it and i hope I did.

We need a database to keep track of doctors who report decent people as unfit. It should be relatively easy to set up something, although it won't be too useful until the network effect takes hold.

Sent via Tapatalk on my Android phone. Good news; Tapatalk sucks less than it used to.

No but the threat of being put on a list as a Govt. stool pigeon might get some attention.

You are correct, but a friend or family member can petition the courts for involuntary commitment. I have seen it done. On one person's word to a judge (plus the guy's history) a Judge sent a guy I know away for like 90 days. He did need the help and was a serious danger to himself.

How the **** did they find that out?

Again it all comes to the top, we nationalized health care and now the government is using a " loophole " as back door gun restriction, and can now use their Government sponcered practicing physicians as agent provocateurs ... That simple. If you walk in with a crossed eye you can now be declared unfit or whatever they feel like making up as we go along.

The stats that really got my attention were...

30,000 Americans die from firearms every year - then 5 minutes later he tells us - 2/3 of all firearm deaths are suicide.
So that is 20000 suicides, or roughly 12 per 100000. So the obvious question is would these people not commit suicide if they did not have access to a fire arm?

Well.. Japan has a suicide rate of roughly double that of the US... and Lithuania has a rate nearly triple.

Additionally, just under half of the people who commit suicide use a firearm. So that means 20000 people figure out how to do it without a firearm.

The other stat that was very telling was that he said 30 children a year die from firearm accidents. According to the CDC, 87 children under 5 die in the bathtub every year. So your bath tub is far more likely to kill a child than my gun.

And lets not forget my favorite... medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the US with just over 200,000 fatalities. So you are 20 times more likely to be killed by your doctor than you are by your gun.

Last edited:
And lets not forget my favorite... medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the US with just over 200,000 fatalities. So you are 20 times more likely to be killed by your doctor than you are by your gun.

And those odds just went up now that docs are even more encouraged to rat out their patients to the feds.

The other stat that was very telling was that he said 30 children a year die from firearm accidents. According to the CDC, 87 children under 5 die in the bathtub every year. So your bath tub is far more likely to kill a child than my gun.

Remember a "child" is under 18. Of those "children", how many are gangbangers who shoot themselves by accident. There was a criminal teen who killed his brother in Boston last year. He thought the gun was unloaded and killed his younger brother by accident.

They also trot out the x number of children are killed each day by guns. Almost all those "children" are drug dealing gang members who were shot in a turf war.

Random thought - does big-pharma have a horse in this race or are USA gun owners who will potentially not seek treatment now just too small a segment to care about?

I've never heard anything about this at work...they generally shy away from political issues.

Back
Top Bottom