• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Oddball Question on LTC Expiration, Renewal

Evtide

NES Member
My LTC-A was up for renewal in mid February. About a week before expiration I met with the officer in my town who handles firearms licensing (I made the appointment a month or more prior), filed the application and did the fingerprint drill. No issues expected, all went normally.

I understand that my MA LTC-A is still valid for 90 days after the expiration date as long as the renewal process has been started before the expiration date, which mine was.

Fast forward to now, not yet 60 days since expiration. I'm in on a group buy that I believe is about to come to fruition and expect that I'll need to do a FFL transfer at the LGS. My LTC-A is, I believe, officially still valid but the expiration date as printed has come and gone.

What are your thoughts as to how the LGS will look at this? Will they refuse the transfer based on the printed expiration date? Will they be able to look up my name in the state's system and see that my renewal is in the works and go ahead with the transfer?

I've called the officer handling this renewal and he doesn't know when I can expect the renewal to come through.

Thanks for reading, and any input is welcome especially from anyone who's been in this same situation.

1. The law provides that your LTC is still valid, and does not place any limitation on what that validity is good for.

2. The MIRCS system does not recognize #1 above, nor will any dealer in the state, as it will not be possible to process your transaction through the system.

Welcome to the MA licensing system [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom