Oops! An American shot, killed Zimbabwe's most beloved lion; world is pissed at him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FormerlyIndifferent

NES Member
Twin Cities dentist admits killing beloved lion, thought he was acting legally

http://www.startribune.com/zimbabwe-2-to-appear-in-court-for-killing-cecil-the-lion/318828251/

A big-game hunter from the Twin Cities found himself at the center of an international firestorm Tuesday over the death of a beloved lion in Zimbabwe, but said he regrets killing the animal and believed his guides were leading him on a legal hunt.

(Don't tell the good folk at UNH that I referred to this fellow as an "American", however).

I am not a hunter, but I understand people want to hunt for meat etc. I don't understand why you want to kill just to put a trophy on the wall.

This situation even more odious considering that they lured the lion off the preserve with bait.

+1 F this guy.

Apparently he had a license and he personally followed all laws

Legal is legal......gotta love it when people are tried and convicted in the court of popular opinion without allowing the courts to do their job

"man with cocaine heart must expiate for his wrongdoing."

I know a guy who is very into big game hunting. He has a dining room filled with dead animals..elephant tusks (was waiting for skin to be imported last time I was at the house), a zebra head, water buffalo head, a full stuffed grizzly bear standing tall in the dining room...and many more.

I'll admit it's cool to see but I honestly find it disgusting. Hunting shit for trophies makes you a douche bag IMO. Hunting for food is totally different.

4 "F this guy's" already. Have I stumbled onto a PETA site by accident?

I'm not a fan of dentists, trophy hunting or anyone who blows $54k on a vacation, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until it's proven he did something knowingly wrong. When done properly trophy hunting supports and sustains the land where these animals live and keep it from turning into farmland.

Apparently he had a license and he personally followed all laws

Legal is legal......gotta love it when people are tried and convicted in the court of popular opinion without allowing the courts to do their job

True but hunting endangered species just so you can quell whatever masculine inadequacy plagues you makes you a douche. Just because some shithole 3rd world country allows this shit doesn't make it right.

Not a fan of trophy hunting. If you aren't eating them or in mortal danger leave other living things be. What this clown did wad tantamount to poaching. Trolling along the border of a wildlife preserve for endangered game is about as unethical as it gets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion
Lions live for 10–14 years in the wild, although in captivity they can live more than 20 years. In the wild, males seldom live longer than 10 years, as injuries sustained from continual fighting with rival males greatly reduce their longevity.

Supposedly this lion was around 13 years old. So his "productive" days had long gone by. I have no issue with anyone wanting to be a big game hunter. The issue isn't this lion or this dentist. Who gives a crap if the locals loved the ,lion. if you wanted to keep him alive put him in a zoo. The issue is the corrupted governments in and throughout Africa.

They allow these rogue outfits to continue to operate.

So, even though I am not a hunter and have no desire to ever take down any african big game I support this guy's right to do it. if laws were circumvented put it on the tour company for not following the laws and the corrupted government that allows them to continue to operate for ridiculous profits.

Not a fan of trophy hunting. If you aren't eating them or in mortal danger leave other living things be. What this clown did wad tantamount to poaching. Trolling along the border of a wildlife preserve for endangered game is about as unethical as it gets.

I think his guide is the one who broke the laws...but the hunter is still a little limp dicked pussy for even feeling the need to kill a lion in the first place.

Want to show how much of a man you are? Put the high powered rifle down and go try to kill the lion with your bare hands. I'd pay to watch that.

4 "F this guy's" already. Have I stumbled onto a PETA site by accident?

I'm not a fan of dentists, trophy hunting or anyone who blows $54k on a vacation, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until it's proven he did something knowingly wrong. When done properly trophy hunting supports and sustains the land where these animals live and keep it from turning into farmland.

This guy should've known something was up; he already got smacked once:
Palmer, 55, who pleaded guilty to a license violation after shooting a black bear in Wisconsin in 2008

True but hunting endangered species just so you can quell whatever masculine inadequacy plagues you makes you a douche. Just because some shithole 3rd world country allows this shit doesn't make it right.

Legal is Legal

You want to move to Zimbabwe and tell them how they should run their country then have at it

We spend too much time telling other countries what they should/should not do......we wouldnt like it too much if the reverse was true

Hunting is evil.

Sorry, not finding cause for hyperventialtion. Trophy hunting has sone alot of good for the animals being hunted. Trophy hunters are not driving lions into extinction.

Legal is Legal

You want to move to Zimbabwe and tell them how they should run their country then have at it

We spend too much time telling other countries what they should/should not do......we wouldnt like it too much if the reverse was true

yep legal is legal and I'm not telling any other country what to do...What I am doing is opining that big game trophy hunters are douche bags.

legal and moral are not the same thing....and having an opinion has nothing to do with trying to force anything on anyone.

There was a story about how the Dentist shot a bear off of a illegal hunting zone but dragged the corpse 40+ miles to a proper zone so he could claim it there.

+1...and if you are going to hunt big game at least give the meat to the people that live in the town that it was shot in to eat...if you want to just shoot animals go to texas where they have the wild hog problem and hunt them out of a helicopter...no trophies, no food, just killing while helping farmers keep their crops in the process

yep legal is legal and I'm not telling any other country what to do...What I am doing is opining that big game trophy hunters are douche bags.

legal and moral are not the same thing....and having an opinion has nothing to do with trying to force anything on anyone.

What is douchy about it? Hunting does a lot for conservation

+1...and if you are going to hunt big game at least give the meat to the people that live in the town that it was shot in to eat...if you want to just shoot animals go to texas where they have the wild hog problem and hunt them out of a helicopter...no trophies, no food, just killing

If you are outside of a preserve you are outside of a preserve. Don't a lot of hunters in ma hunt bordering no hunting zones to target high population areas?

If you are outside of a preserve you are outside of a preserve. Don't a lot of hunters in ma hunt bordering no hunting zones to target high population areas?

You are absolutely right. But it seems there are laws against baiting the animal to leave the preserve and supposedly that s what the tour guide did. But i agree with you.

What is douchy about it? Hunting does a lot for conservation

yeah if you say so. Encroaching and developing on natural habitat and then hunting to control the population totally helps the animals.

I never said "huntng" was douchey....I said big game hunting endangered species for the trophy was douchey. I don't have a problem with hunting for food.

You are absolutely right. But it seems there are laws against baiting the animal to leave the preserve and supposedly that s what the tour guide did. But i agree with you.

If they did indeed drive through the reserve with a piece of meat at the back of the truck to lure the lion that is one thing. If they baited outisde of the preserve I dont see the problem provided baiting is legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom