Original 1911: safe or shoot?

Been getting a bit of flak from collector friends as of late when I tell them I've been shooting my great grandfather's WWI 1911 (1918 manufacture complete with manual, half-blued magazine and holster). It had been wrapped in an oil cloth in the basement for 50 years and looked clean so I brought it to the range to run a few rounds through it. Incredible shoot! Slide was smoother than any of my new, modern pieces. I guess there's a reason this design hasn't changed in a hundred years. So, am I nuts to shoot this? I'm past the "collector" stage of my life and really don't keep things around unless I use them regularly, not that I'd let this go as it is a family heirloom.

Last edited:
I assume you really don't want to destroy it or ruin it. In that spirit, I would suggest cleaning it well after you use it every time and only using the highest quality brass ammunition to minimize the chance of any ruptured cases or improper loads. Then I would oil it up really well before you store it like it was and/or get a dehumidifier in the safe.

Like any mechanical thing, the more you use it, the faster it wears out. If you know how to service a 1911 and/or don't mind replacing the original parts when they wear out, then I guess go ahead and shoot it.

But again, the main thing you want to avoid, I assume, is severely damaging it. So make sure you only use premium brass ammo (never reloads) and make sure you take it slow and don't shoot unless you are sure the last shot made it out of the barrel.

I also would not shoot it. I would find a way to preserve it, and place it in a nice wooden box.

I have an original 1911 that I inherited from my uncle who bought it off a GI after the war. It's seen some life so I would not consider it perfect but definitely something I cherish for its sentimental and historic value.

Personally I wouldn't shoot it much, but...you and it may welcome the occasional outing to the range.

I am aware of its current value and definitely do not "abuse" it. I am adamant about cleaning all my guns even after a few rounds and try to shoot quality ammo. It is a pure joy to shoot but I only bring it out on special occasions.

I'd shoot it. I couldn't have a gun that I couldn't shoot. It's like having a 'collectors' car that I'm not supposed to drive. I'd drive the snot out of it anyways.

While in the USAF in 1971 we were issued Colt Police Positives as side arms for air crews.
I "aquired" a 1911 from a Marine armorer for my own use and still have it today. It is a 1916 manufacture and still has matching frame & slide.
I use that old horse several times a month though it is no longer a carry piece.
I feed it good ammo, clean it completely and love it dearly.
The old 1911s are some of the toughest machines ever built.
I prefer to use what I have and dislike "safe queen", but that's just me.

I shoot my dad's WWII sidepiece about once a year. What good is it if you never use it and let it rot in the back of a safe? Believe me, it feels very good every time.

WWI--maybe you can get some reloaded ammo with a very light powder load?

Is anyone up on metal quality of US guns during WWI. I know that some WWII guns are unsafe to fire, like some serial number Mausers from Germany.

Detail strip it, clean the crap out of it, put a new set of springs in it, and shoot it like you stole it.

Just make sure you keep it clean and store it properly.

I'm sure Great Grandpa shot it. He probably shot it with Grand Dad and maybe with your dad. If Great Grandpa were alive today, he'd want to shoot it with you.
Check it for Ss&Gs to see if there is anything "special" about it and do like Eddie Coyle says,
SHOOT IT!

Was it in NIB condition when you found it or did it show signs of use and wear?

If the former I would probably not shoot it very much if at all. The latter and I would definitely shoot it, but again not very much.

added: But then I prefer to shoot my guns rather than admire them on the wall. What do you think your grandfather would prefer?

I have the same scenario, except it was my grandfather's gun - also 1918 manufacture.

Your great grandfather, grandfather, and father all would want you to shoot and enjoy this fine old gun. I think you have the right idea - take care of it, use quality ammo and it will be around for YOUR great grandchildren.

If you had PURCHASED this gun as investment, you might be able to justify it being a "safe queen" because the intention was to just put it away to sell later for profit.

But this gun is a part of your heritage and your family's legacy - shoot it proudly. Let your critics go home to their plastic-covered sofas and cuddle their action hero dolls - still in the original packaging.

Shoot it and enjoy it, just not on a daily basis, and clean it well after you use it.

When you shoot it, think about (I think you said) your grandfather.

Cleaning antiques can be a little different than cleaning a modern firearm.

Some of the screws aren't going to come out and you may damage the gun more by trying to remove a part to clean than by cleaning it in place.

You don't want to use harsh cleansers. (Try simple green).

If a piece has wood, don't clean the finish off!

There are some preservative waxes you can use in between shoots that will help keep the wood and metal in good condition.

As a tie to your family, so as you want. Not like you bought this to resell it a year from now for more money. As a "forever in the family" gun do as you want with it and hand it down with stories of your family. If it was mine it would get used, especially if I was with my son.

There are already prime examples of the good 1911's saved in collections for posterity sake in museums - just shoot it. The only reason to worry about value is for a person that just likes to cuddle with their pieces - if it's in my possesion it will get shot!

Joe R>

I aquired a Colt 1911, mfd in 1918 26 years ago. I did all the "standard" accuracy work, new sights, re-blue, etc. It's a tack driver and I've been shooting it all these years with cast bullet reloads (230 gr rn, 5.5 gr 231). Has served me very well with no problems. I think that these older 1911's are tougher than many think. Jack.

I'd shoot it. I couldn't have a gun that I couldn't shoot. It's like having a 'collectors' car that I'm not supposed to drive. I'd drive the snot out of it anyways.

Ditto. Maybe not often and I'd baby the hell out of it when I did, but it's a GUN. You've got to make it go bang every now and then![grin]

grandpa's 1911

You answered your own question. You're past the "collector" stage. You can wrap it in a rag for another 50 years and when you die, someone else will shoot it. Shoot it and have some fun.

45.jpg

Has a bit of wear to the bluing but still very nice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom