Osprey Compact 3-9x42 Illuminated Rifle Scope

rujero

NES Member
I was at the show in Marlborough MA the end of last month and was chatting with the BlueGrass Optics sales rep Sean Bryant, who is a wicked cool and down to earth guy. They had a table where they were selling rifle scopes by a brand called Osprey. I'll try to edit the post with pictures soon.

Not knowing much about the technical side of scopes, I tried to educate myself through research here on the forums and other places online. There are apparently so many factors to consider when buying a scope that it gave me a headache, but there were a few things to consider specifically for my purposes that made things simpler.

1. I didn't need crazy optical quality. I just wanted decent glass in a housing that was waterproof.

2. I am a casual target shooter and I do not hunt. If I can hit the black two football fields away... sweet. I'll be stoked.

3. I needed something affordable. My budget was $300, but I would've rather not spent my whole budget... if I could save that money for ammo!
With this is mind I came to the conclusion that the Osprey Compact 3-9x42 priced online between $210 - $230 (depending on the reticle) was the way to go. Working directly with the Sales Rep on the phone, I was able to score the scope with the rangefinder reticle, a .223 laser bore-sight, and an adjustment turret that was calibrated specifically to calculate bullet drop of the .223 cartridge as part of a package deal for $233 which including shipping. This price also included dust covers and the mounting rings.

Unpacking the box, the scope was packaged well, but the rear dust cover lens literally fell out of the rubber housing when I flipped it up. Not a good sign, but I decided to give the thing a fair chance. Using the laser bore-sight, I got the scope on target and took a test shot. The laser was a little off. Making adjustments on the scope was easy and precise. I had the thing sighted-in at 25 yards in five or six shots. The reticle has Blue, Green or Red illumination in three dimmer settings. In my opinion any setting brighter than the dimmest obscures the cross hairs. The reticle is etched into the glass so you don't need to illuminate it to see it, and I just kept it off for my sight-in.

I qualify at my 200 yard range tomorrow afternoon. Wish me luck, and I'll update this thread with pictures and results in the PM.

-r

COMPACT 3-9X42 ILLUMINATED - Bluegrass Optics

Last edited:
I think if you zero a .223 at 50 yds you'll be pretty much right on at 200.

I don't know much about the trajectory dynamics of .223 but I can't imagine there being a drastic difference between 25 and 200 yards. Unfortunately I only had the indoor 25 yard range available to sight-in at the time. Either way I'm sure I'll be just fine going from 25 to 200. Unless that damn coriolis effect screws with me ;). I guess we'll find out tomorrow!

-r

Not drastic at all. I would say you might just need to increase elevation a few inches for 200.

So after I sighted in at 25 yards I clicked a tic or two upwards just in case because I was paranoid. You guys are absolutely correct though that the 5.56 round is pretty damn straight at 200 yards haha. I got three shots to qualify. At 200 yards my group was actually five inches above the bull, but still on target. If I had drawn a circle around the three shots it would have been about a 4 inch diameter. Not bad for my first try... it was just way too high. Seeing the grouping, the RSO approved me and suggested I re-sight at 100 yards until I can get a spotting scope. So now begins the spotting scope research haha.

-r

So after I sighted in at 25 yards I clicked a tic or two upwards just in case because I was paranoid. You guys are absolutely correct though that the 5.56 round is pretty damn straight at 200 yards haha. I got three shots to qualify. At 200 yards my group was actually five inches above the bull, but still on target. If I had drawn a circle around the three shots it would have been about a 4 inch diameter. Not bad for my first try... it was just way too high. Seeing the grouping, the RSO approved me and suggested I re-sight at 100 yards until I can get a spotting scope. So now begins the spotting scope research haha.

-r
nice job, small adjustments is my rule of thumb [thumbsup]

-r
If you zeroed at 25 yards for point of aim to point of impact you would be approx 3- 3.5" high at 200 your added couple of clicks would get your impacts even higher.
Your scope has 1\2 moa adjustment. So if you have not been thinking in moa yet
1/2moa will change the impact trajectory
Inch/yard
1/8@25
1/4@50
1/2@100
1@200- so if you went 2 clicks =1moa that would move 2" @200
2@300
Your average 223 will with a 25 yard zero holding center mass you can baliataclly hit a 6" bulls eye out about 350 yards. With out touching your turrets
With your scope with that reticle find out what the spacing on the hash marks is and you can have a few hold points at various distance.
Did the directions come with a reticle subtension chart usually they are "calibrated" on the highest magX

If you zeroed at 25 yards for point of aim to point of impact you would be approx 3- 3.5" high at 200 your added couple of clicks would get your impacts even higher.
Inch/yard
1/8@25
1/4@50
1/2@100
2@300
Your average 223 will with a 25 yard zero holding center mass you can baliataclly hit a 6" bulls eye out about 350 yards. With out touching your turrets

Inch/yard
1/8@25
1/4@50
1/2@100
2@300
With your scope with that reticle find out what the spacing on the hash marks is and you can have a few hold points at various distance.
Did the directions come with a reticle subtension chart usually they are "calibrated" on the highest magX

Hi Mac, You are correct in that I wasn't making adjustments with the MOA in mind. The information you provided makes perfect sense considering the bullet impact points. There are instructions with the scope and it would have been more productive to study them more in depth than I did. I have to get to work but I'll post the info about the rest of the reticle calibration when I can. Thanks again for your continuing help and advice.

-r

Back
Top Bottom